430 - Gated or Scuderia? Which is worth more | FerrariChat

430 Gated or Scuderia? Which is worth more

Discussion in '360/430' started by efg2014, Aug 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Jms15 likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Some buyers are looking for rarity above all - the funny thing is that gated F430 are rare simply because almost nobody wanted one when buying new... just the same as 575M or 599 GTB.
    These cars were also designed with the F1 system in mind, so unlike the 355 F1 they are actually good with the F1 while the gated gearbox is somewhat anachronic. For an investment perspective, a gated F430 may be a good choice (because the outcome is related with potential buyers whose motivations are beyond logic) but as a car I would really prefer an older car if the goal is to avoid the F1 system.

550nitis, PKIM, imahorse and 2 others like this.
  3. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Good points. I feel the gated transmission was the zeitgeist of gone by era yet there are some who still want to hang on to it and have the means to do so :)

Jms15 likes this.
  4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There may be some Dealership Lore that you are missing. I have heard it said that sitting down and buying a new Ferrari is not such a buyers paradise because you can be at the hands of the inventory and what they want to sell you. If say the seller is doing what the mothership wants and is steering buyers away from stick by saying, "well I can put in an order for your stick car but they wont tell me when it will be manufactured or delivered or I can put in an order for one with our fancy F-1 system and you can have your choice of colors and options now!"

If you are one of those guys who plopped down with your dealer to spec out a new 430 I would love to hear your story.

Jms15 and one4torque like this.
  5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Tim Riley likes this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    When considering future values of manual transmission cars, learn from the painful lesson 997.2 GT3 owners got....

There is nothing legally preventing Ferrari from coming out with a run of manual transmission cars, just like Porsche did.....if they see a market, it will happen.

7. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    This isn’t quite true. I tried for a very long time to order a new 430 stick. The dealer would let me order an F1 but there were very limited allocations for sticks

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  8. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I have a manual 430. I have never driven the scud. I also have other newer Fcars including most relevant is a 488 spider.

The feeling from the 430 is it is the last analog car Ferrari made. It combines so much in the way of expertise that Ferrari put into their cars at that time. While it was designed for F1, it works so well with the manual and the driving position and the visualization from the drivers vantage point. While it wasn’t designed for manual, it is the ultimate manual.

Similarly the SCUD may be the first digital version for which it was designed. The lull in pricing for scuds I think we will
    Find was in retrospect a lull.

I would love to hear from scud owners with regard to how special it is to drive, because the 430 manual is an event and is special. Every time- and this is from someone who drives a Ferrari everyday without fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeroh, Themaven, catdog and 2 others like this.
  9. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #9 DeTomasoGTS74, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Today a manual 430 is worth more. Over time however,I believe value placed on the last of the manuals will diminish some what as the younger generations who didn’t grow up on them in sports cars are the only buyers.

In terms of the question above around how special the Scud to drive, I was dead set on a 458 as the car for me. Last of the naturally aspirated mid engine with a 9000 RPM and an incredibly sexy body had me sold before I drove it. Then I drove several and left each experience amazed at its capability, but found it lacked something for me that my other older (manual) sports cars have.

So I test drove some of the new McLarens and had the same feeling, and the Huracan to me felt like driving an Audi. In the end the more modern class of cars in total left me impressed again with overall capability and speed, but I sort of felt like I was just along for the ride. To me for a limited use weekend toy I want to be in control and have to work for it. Feel a bit tired even following the drive. I want every one of my senses on high alert the entire time.

It wasn’t until I saw the clip of Chris Harris sharing what his favorite Limited edition mid engine Ferrari was out of the 3 (at the time) that I realized I needed to look into the Scud. I scoured over videos and spent many hours reading reviews from owners and realized very quickly that this was the type of car I was solving for. The looks, sound, smell, and especially feel we’re spot on for me. It drove as well as it looked. Incredibly special. I bought the first car I drove.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

catdog, marknkidz, lewishou and 8 others like this.
  10. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It looks like the BAT buyer got a nice, relatively low mile Scud for $179K. 2009 had the full carbon package and usually commands $10K more than the non carbon 2008's.

As for the Scud driving experience, it is an event every time. Ferrari had perfected the single dry clutch F1system when it introduced the Scud. The way it shifts is the best part of driving the Scud, IMHO. In Race mode, the shifts under full throttle feel like explosions, especially the 2nd to 3rd gear shift at redline. Shift times take 0.060 seconds, far faster than anyone could shift a manual. Each shift feels like a punch in the back. I'll never grow tired of it. The handling is excellent, of course. The stock exhaust opens valves at 4,000 RPM. Once opened, the sound is addictive. It's surprisingly comfortable and it's raw at the same time. The sticky tires shed gravel into the wheel wells and you hear every one hit because the interior has no carpets or insulation. At speed you can feel the downforce and it is very stable and planted. Around town, it's docile and smooth, not tempermental. The air conditioning makes summer driving around town pleasant. It is also ultra reliable.

I hope Scud pricing is in a lull, but only time will tell. I didn't buy my Scud as an investment, but it would be cool if it begins to appreciate. I plan on keeping mine for a long time. Let's have this discussion again in 5-10 years.

Tim Riley, Kevin Rev'n and lewishou like this.
  11. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    You haven't really been following up on the 997.2 GT3 values have you? Yes they came out with another manual GT3 but it didn't seem to do too much damage, especially for the RS 4.0.

Yeah there may be a manual exotic made here and there but it's not the norm anymore and never will be.

efg2014 likes this.
  12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Nice? It’s missing a radio and doesn’t have the led shift steering wheel...it’s priced appropriately for lacking these popular options, both of which are challenging to retrofit.

LightGuy and marknkidz like this.
  13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Actually yes I have (not the 4.0 or RS, different market). After the 991.1 was announced with only a dual clutch, the 997.2 owners were all high fiving each other because they had “the last manual GT3 ever”, then prices spiked from $120k-ish to $150k minimum.

Then the 991.2 was announced and now it’s pretty easy to find a $90k 997.2.....no more high fives.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  14. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    So would you say a 40% depreciation is normal or extraordinary for a ~10 year old mass market sports car?

15. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Ferrari doesn't make a manual car anymore, and the new cars electronics are so integrated with the transmission that they will most likely never be converted. The Scud has the fact it is a stripped down limited production model, whose price is bolstered by the fact that a 458 Speciale and a 488 Pista are super expensive. On that same note the Scud was a higher performance model of the 430 to take the fight to the Superleggera, but gets dusted by a 458 and murdered by a 488 performance wise. Market will dictate if the masses value the manual driving experience or outright performance, in which a DCT is king

16. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I speak from firsthand experience on this. During the 430's production span, new cars could be flipped for a profit. This lead to buyers making deposits years in advance. I placed an order for what would be my 3 pedal coupe September, 2002. At the time, they already had 60 orders for F1 spiders because that was expected to be the hot model in the aftermarket. As I have mentioned in previous posts, paddles were not an option but considered a completely different model. I was first up for a 3 pedal coupe, so would receive the first allocation. It ended up being about the 6th or 7th coupe overall. In the end, however, the dealer had more orders for 3 pedal cars than were ever allocated. The dealer warned me there would be little demand for 3 pedal coupes in the aftermarket. They were right: F1 spiders were the ticket. I know one guy who flipped his immediately for 40K profit. They never even tried to buy my car. They do want it now though! When Scud production began, it seemed like that was about all they were making. And why not? At 300K plus for a basically decontented car, the margin had to be enormous. Overproduction and the recession lead to new ones being available on floors in 2009. The dealer had a real nice black one available and worked on me a bit to buy it. My response was I'd have to give them my car and a check for 200K and I just don't see the value doing that. They chuckled. In conclusion, demand was low in part because of the flipping craze and Ferrari made no effort to meet the demand that did exist. The dealer also told me that years down the road when used buyers no longer care about the latest, greatest technology, manuals would see increased demand. I doubt they foresaw today's market!

Dave

17. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, it's odd the car lacks the LED steering wheel. The text in the ad suggested it has it, but the pic looks as if it doesn't. I didn't know an LED Steering wheel was an optional item on Scuds? The radio delete, yes, but this is the first Scud that I've ever seen without it.

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I just assumed the LED shift light steering wheel on a Scud was standard production.
    Why would you NOT want it ?
    To be different ?
    I dont get it.
    Perhaps the wheel was swapped ?

Cgk360 likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Here’s a POV view of a Scud in Japan without the LED Steering wheel. Less lively, but perhaps a classier, cleaner look? Not the end of the world and I think I can deal with it as long as the price reflects it.

20. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    One of the replies is from a previous owner: “The car was specced (not by me) with an Alcantara wheel and audio-delete (LED wheel and stereo were no-cost options). When the manettino switch failed, it required replacement of the wheel and it had to be specially ordered from Maranello. I asked Ferrari for an LED wheel and they wanted an exorbitant amount for it so I didn’t bother.”