Water and oil pump leak / failure | FerrariChat

Water and oil pump leak / failure

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ANOpax, Aug 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    As per the title, my car has just been in for its annual service and the dealer says that the combined water/oil pump in my 2011 FF is leaking. The service manager says that over time, an internal seal fails and the seal is not available separately so the unit has to be replaced rather than rebuilt. Given that a new pump is $3,200 I'd be keen to know if anyone has had a pump rebuilt.

There was a post on the 599 forum from a guy who rebuilt F430 pumps and was going to look at the 599 pumps but nothing seems to have come of it. Given that the V12 cars from the 599 onwards share the same engine architecture I thought I'd ask on here.

One final point - my service manager tells me that the failure is quite common - my dealership has already replaced 4 pumps this year alone. Does the forum have a view or any experience of how common this failure is?

thanks.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm surprised, the same pump runs water and oil?

I'm real interested in the responses you receive.

3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Well, I got in touch with the FChat member who was looking for a leaking 599 water/oil pump and he didn’t take it any further as nobody sent him a pump for tear down (and yes, the same pump runs both oil and water).

I sent him the photos of my leak and his view is that it’s an old/slow weep rather than a leak and that I should just keep an eye on it for now rather than shelling out $5k to the dealer. His advice is not to worry about it until the leak is bad enough that it comes through the under tray. Apparently the pump itself is robust and is unlikely to suffer any catastrophic failure.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That sounds like good advice to me. I would do the same.

5. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    Just picked my '14 FF from it's yearly service and was told there is a slight leak in mine as well. Service manager said nothing to worry about and he will inspect further at next years service. Price I was quoted was $7k, so would love to hear about anyone having one rebuilt or replaced at a non-dealer and their experience. Thanks.

sftradercoder likes this.