GTO owned by 70 year old woman? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

GTO owned by 70 year old woman?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Teenferrarifan, Apr 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Would this fetch more than the recent record of $70m or so? Bc it's original?

miurasv likes this.
  2. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I'd say it would be a coin toss between a better racing history (the $70m car you mentioned) vs. 3647GT's originality.

3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    They are only original ONCE. Based on private info/discussions, and other.... I would venture to say that the one and only, still original, unrestored car certainly has the edge in value.

LARRYH and mcimino like this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #54 miurasv, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    It's not quite as simple as that in the case of 3647. There's no doubting that the car is as original as when Mr McNeil bought it in 1967, but with the age and use related patination/cosmetic deterioration. However, as has been well documented and discussed, 3647 was rebodied a number of times in period, and most importantly, who actually rebodied it, and rebodied it last, and repaired the substantial damage after its accidents actually determines how authentically original it is.

375+ and Red Rocket like this.
  5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I am very comfortable with the information I have been provided (not here) on this car. I really don't need or want to debate or argue the point.
    I am very comfortable with the information I have been provided (not here) on this car. I really don't need or want to debate or argue the point.

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #56 miurasv, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    It's not a case of arguing the point. 3647 is being stated as "the one and only, still original, unrestored car", an example of a 250 GTO, which currently is the most valuable car in the world, but more than that you are saying that the originality of 3647 makes it more valuable than a car with a greater race history such as the 1964 Tour de France winner. However, with those statements no proof of the car's originality is offered, only hearsay.

Although there is absolutely no question regarding the authenticity of the car as a whole, because of 3647's accident history, and mixture of early and late 250 GTO body details, who actually rebodied it, and proof of it, is most important in determining the authenticity and originality of the body. The body may well be authentic, BUT, it could also have been repaired/rebodied by a company outside of Ferrari's control, and not overseen by Ferrari which would make the body inauthentic and non-original. Without any proof, and answers like not wanting to debate/argue the point that was made by you, just adds scepticism and fuel to the possibility that the body is a patinated non original one, and IF that is the case, that it was made around 57 years ago and patinated does not make it any more authentic and original.

If there is proof why not just state what proof there is to back up the originality claims?

phrogs, Red Rocket and swift53 like this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Besides, unless a person is the one negotiating an actual purchase with cash in hand, their opinion on or perception of (any) cars value is worth nothing.
    I always thought anyone with slightest amount of common sense should be able to comprehend that simple fact.

showme1946 likes this.
  8. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Yet so much value is placed in auction estimates and price guides. I hear what you're saying, but the reality is that the classic car market is always changing, but is also very mature...and, at least somewhat predictable.

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

I never should have bothered saying anything here. Not my car (obviously!), so I don't need to spend any more time backing up anything. I don't mean to be rude, but I also just don't have the extra time....

showme1946, mikesufka and TTR like this.
  10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #60 miurasv, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    That's a shame that you don't have the time as it would be good to know who did the remedial work to it and to prove that it was actually done via Ferrari for the sake of the car's provenance. Perhaps there is already some correspondence with Ferrari stating such? If not perhaps Ferrrari Classiche or Tony Willis in the UK, who has the Maranello Concessionaires archives, could be contacted to find out what they know.

To be fair to the owner Mr McNeil himself, he actually does not state that 1962 250 GTO 3647 is unrestored and totally original. He acknowledges that it was crashed multiple times during its racing career, and what he actually stated in 2019 was that the paint is 52 years old, (notice he did not say 57 years old) and that apart from one engine rebuild, maintenance and paint touch ups, it has not been restored since 1967, which is accurate.

375+, Red Rocket and BJK like this.
  11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Good grief man! I never ever stated it was never crashed. We ALL know it was crashed back in the day when it pro raced, same as many others.... I would never rely on Ferrari Classiche, and I DO clearly know what is and is not accurate.

TTR likes this.
  12. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Marshall, Steve: Good grief you guys!! Let it go. You both have lots of respected Ferrari knowledge and both your hearts in in the right place, but there are NO original 250 GTO's. All of the cars were built as "tools" to be used in the pursuit of of race wins. As such, they were USED in what ever manner was required. No thought was given to how they were treated other than trying to make the car last out the race, and getting it put together somehow for the next event. After their race career was over, ALL the GTO's spent the next 20 years as "used" cars and, by today's standards, none of them were well cared for. As for "factory" repairs or body reconstruction, NOBODY at Classiche has a clue today (yes, I have been involved with them for a number of years, and their lack of knowledge is just astounding). Back in the day, Scaglietti was a body builder, but also a private repair facility. They did whatever the owner needed and could pay for, so NO thought was given to "originality". Also, much of the factories (and Scaglietti's) "repairs" were farmed out to many other local body shops, so today, we simply don't know who did what 55 years ago, yet we try to act like everything was "cut and dried" and done by people who were "blessed" by the originality God. As for GTO's, I do not know of a truly "bad" car. They all have special histories and they all got to where they are today by enduring use, abuse and being beat up over the years.

ArtS, Nembo1777, showme1946 and 23 others like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Very well written, absolutely true and correct. I totally agree with every word, dot and comma. Thank you very much Dyke.

Marcel Massini

14. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    The McNeil GTO has switched ownership rather recently with the agreement that the car remain in its "unrestored" condition.

readplays likes this.
  15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Happened several months ago.

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    McNeil the Weathertech guy? 250 GTO not sold and he just had it restored. was shown at Pebble Beach this year.

17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    NO, wrong. Many people get these owners confused. The Weathertech guy is David MacNeil. (Different first & last name.)

miurasv and 375+ like this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Now with another "mc".

Lusso123 likes this.
  19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    That is #4153 GT. The sold car being discussed here is #3647 GT.

20. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    in the Evergreen State?

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Wow. Do we know where to?

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Nope. You have 49 more guesses.

23. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    #73 Lusso123, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    Yes, but I don't feel that I'm at liberty to say, Jim is a good friend and I respect his and the new caretakers (owners) privacy. That said, I'm sure someone will feel the need to post who the buyer is.

readplays, ChipG and amenasce like this.
  24. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes. ;)

375+ likes this.
  25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008