Retractable Roof | FerrariChat

Retractable Roof

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Sammi, Aug 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Already in the shop and only had my vehicle for 5 days. No fault of the vehicle itself but rather the tint shop I took her to for the tint application.

They tried to retract the roof without checking to see if anything was going to be blocking where the roof sits once retracted. Had some towels back there that must have gotten in the way and they jammed the roof.

Was able to remove the towels but the roof still stuck in the same position. I took it to a mechanic that specializes in Ferrari’s and his words were “they really did a number on this, usually my computer will just reset the roof but it won’t even do that, I have to take the backseat out to see what’s going on” they also broke the left door that opens up to lift the roof - I looked it up: Ferrari Part 820855

Any idea what could have happened? (It is latched on the right side but left is stuck)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Sorry to read! Hope things get better fast! Ask for your money back, they must have insurance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammi likes this.
  3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Ouch. Sorry to hear. There is a procedure for closing the roof manually in the owner's manual -- page 209 in the version I have -- but it does require opening the trunk, which you may or may not be able to do -- but perhaps you can if you were able to remove the towels. Best scenario would be to get the top closed properly and hope it will work again. But the Ferrari dealer is probably the best place to take the car, they will be very familiar with the top and it's certainly not the first jammed top they will have ever encountered. You definitely want to tread lightly, you don't want to bend or damage any of the components. The little door is meant to move back and forth, so perhaps when everything is realigned it will be okay again. Keep us posted.

whatheheck and Sammi like this.
  4. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    The mechanic worked fast I just picked it up. He said he and two others were able to get it realigned, I guess somehow the alignment became detached. As for the little door, that needs to be replaced, it’s cracked in 3 spots so they could not reattach it.

Since this problem occurred due to the tint place should I send them the bill for the repair and also replacement of the little door? don’t want to be stingy (sp?) but also feel it could’ve been avoided.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

I totally would! They have insurance for that!

whatheheck likes this.
  6. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    Agreed. This was their fault entirely. No reason for you to pay.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Definitely ... they should take it off the bill for the tint, at least. Or pay it and give you a discount for your trouble.

You definitely want to be careful about what's in the trunk if you're using the top ... you will notice that there are four eyelets at the four corners, you can take two bungee cords and stretch them in an X across the trunk floor, and that can help secure whatever you need to put back there.

Sammi likes this.
  8. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    They never got to the tint, this happened before they even removed the prior tint so I did not leave the vehicle for them to screw up even further. Taking it elsewhere for tint now, but thinking they should still get the bill from the roof.

vjd3, AD211, BLAMPEE and 1 other person like this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes! Yes!Yes! Seems easy enough to prove it’s their fault ! Insurance got to pay;)

10. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I would 100% be making them pay for this. That should not even be an option!

AD211 likes this.
  11. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    I never open the top with anything in the trunk, and I if I put something in the trunk while the top is open, I take it out before closing the top. I'm just paranoid about top damage.

12. Paul Adams

Paul Adams Rookie

Sep 12, 2018
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Paul Adams
    I had the same thing happen when I was parked too close to bushes and the sensor freaked out. The top latched and fully closed on the right but the left was out of alignment and still open. I had to reach through the trunk on the left side and pop the middle back seat drops then crawl through the seats and use the manual operation tools to unlock. Then once the side was unlocked I re connected the battery and that allowed the second lock to release. Then I was able to finish the closing operation with the electronic switch. It was difficult but the car couldn’t be moved for risk of the un aligned rails touching the glass and risking breakage. Once fully closed and reset the top works perfectly and I haven’t had issues since. Unfortunately there is a small scratch where the metal hit the roof panel. I was very upset and afraid that having it towed would break the glass. I now check every time the top opens that there is nothing near the sensors and that the glass seats properly before I finish the opening operation.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sammi likes this.