Magnesium or Aluminium? Best way to restore? | FerrariChat

Magnesium or Aluminium? Best way to restore?

Discussion in '308/328' started by au400i, Aug 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au400i

au400i Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Thomas Clement
    I have a set of 14 x 7.5 Wheels that I want to fit to my Dino GT4 before they do they need a repaint.

I have taken them to a couple of paint shops and they don't want to touch them as they think they are magnesium however I think they are plain old aluminium. Or perhaps they are a light magnesium alloy?

These are the Cromodora version and are date stamped 77. They are 6.5kg each (without center caps, valves etc)

Any idea if I can strip and paint these or do they need the annealing or chromatin first? Any other tips?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I had some dymag motor bike wheels refurbished, a very specialized job , so if they are mags be sure they are done right. The guy who did mine used to work for dymag and now does refurbs

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Talk to Dave at StickRx. He knows the correct process for mag wheels.

4. au400i

au400i Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Thomas Clement
    Forgot to mention I'm in Australia

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You can clean it up and repaint it yourself. Do a chemical strip of the old paint, do not blast it with sand, or anything that will ruin the surface. Primer, paint, clear coat. Done.

6. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    prober34 likes this.
  7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does it say “Magnesio” anywhere in the back?

8. au400i

au400i Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Thomas Clement
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and links.

Most of the feedback that I have received here and on other sites is focused on the Dino style Cromodora wheels (fitted to the 246, Fiat Dino and 308 GT4). Are the Ferrari 5 star style wheels from 1977 also made of a magnesium alloy? So does the same approach apply?

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I know it's been asked before, but wondering if there's a more modern answer: Opinion on simply powder-coating the rims? I've got a local shop that produces great results with other parts; not sure if the rims are a good candidate or not.

10. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I believe they are also a magnesium alloy. I had my set of factory 16” wheels professionally painted and the front left is showing signs of oxidation under the paint.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    The Cromodora 14” wheels are Mag alloy.

12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    If you're in Australia post it in the Australian section too.

13. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I'm far from a magnesium expert, but this talked a lot on an old Ducati forum I'm on. Apparently what you are describing is the issue with magnesium wheels. Actually, the magnesium can corrode substantially and not disturb the paint on top, this is far worse. Guys running the old mag motorcycle wheels on the track get them x-rayed every year. The concern with stripping down to bare metal and repainting them them is that you will trap a contaminant under the paint and it starts invisibly eating away the inside of the wheel.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's because of incorrect primer and over stripping the Factory finish.

Body Shops are not invested in the time required , but I a begging mine to spray them after properly priming
    The Zinc Chromate is key.

Carefully repairing the chips is key.
    Not f^**^%ing them up, is key.

No WAY should you powder coat as the off gassing of these old wheels would probably crack them.
    Be gentle, sand gentle, spray back with the proper color..

Nuvolari and thorn like this.
  15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh you can see the corrosion, it looks like ant or termite trails under your new glossy but wrong, paint finish!!

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The Dino and 308 wheels are a light alloy made up primarily of aluminum with some magnesium. From a paint perspective they behave like aluminum and do not require any of the special coatings magnesium requires to protect them from oxidation. I repeat, despite a small magnesium content the prep to paint the wheels should be rooted in good practices with aluminum (different to steel) in order to achieve a good result.

A few considerations:

- Chemically stripping the wheels is generally a bad idea because of how porous they are. Neutralizing the chemical can be near impossible with it leaching out during temperature cycles. As such media blasting or hand sanding is the best option for prepping these wheels.

- Powder coating is generally a bad idea again because of the porosity. The heating process will cause high temperature out-gassing that will cause the finish to fail. Often times the failure happens during the coating process.

- Once the wheels are stripped coat them with a good Zinc Chromate primer (preferably a mixed paint with hardener and not out of a spray can) which will give proper adhesion to the substrate. Colour can be applied to the chromate primer or another sealer coat/primer can be used before the colour.

- Most wheels are now painted in a two stage process with clear and you want to keep your clear to about 60-70% gloss to keep them looking like original.

308Dadoo likes this.
  17. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I restored my magnesium bbs wheels. The process in the Steve k link above is what I used. I also brought the magnesium to get magneflux inspected for cracks at an airplane engine shop (near my local small plane airport) - they have to do this on engine rebuilds. Paint - do not powdercoat as the baking will weaken the magnesium - even if it’s an alloy. That coating step has to be done too. I think I ordered it from grainger. It came out well!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
  19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ...I found the zinc chromate at a Marine Supply...

A close up of one of my rims shows the pin holes in the finish, only sanding this open and investigating, will renew my confidence in the rim.
    That said, I think the QC in the '70s was a far cry from the wonderful wheels we see today!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login