Do you use your factory car cover? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do you use your factory car cover?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Aug 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I use mine sometimes, but only when the car is clean. I also found that the fit is terrible. The dealer may have given me the wrong one.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
  3. Dr123

Dr123 Karting

Oct 24, 2021
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David RANDALL
    Hi guys. I bought an outdoor cover as I don’t have a garage. Now concerned that 1. Should I be using it so soon after ceramic coating (g technique Halo) was applied on Tuesday last week over the full PPF which was already on the car.
    2. I have been using the car every day since I got it on Saturday and putting cover back on at night.
    Now concerned that it may do more bad than good. Trying to use cover to make car less prominent shall we say

4. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Unless the car was just washed, and washed properly, then dried, all a car cover does is grind any dust into the paint. Wind movement makes it worse. Moisture added then you get other damage. I guess you have to decide which is worse, the sun and weather, or the abrasion. There is simply no way around this, no matter what a car cover company tells you. Also, once you get dust and dirt into the fabric of the cover, you compound the possibility of scratches. Doesn't matter how soft the covers are is the car and the cover is dirty. I'm fanatical about this and have been since the mid 80s, and owned many of the best covers on the planet :)

patina, Need4Spd and KC360 FL like this.
  5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    ^^^ This.
    My car is garaged and I never use the cover--- mainly for all the reasons stated by Dean. If you have a collection of cars you almost never drive, maybe. But if they are stored inside, why (?).

I'd be more inclined to simply use a dash/front windshield sun screen (I have a Covercraft one) when the car sits outside. And while I'm not a big fan of window tint, that also helps keep the heat out and the UV off of the interior.
    I worry more about the interior than the paint.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    First, it's a car, not your kid.
    Second, it's a cover, and its job is to ... cover the car.
    Third, some of us have no choice but to park the car outside, Ferrari or Toyota, even in the rain. When I do that, I put the soft red cover on, then I put a Coverkraft (high end type, not the $99 one) over the red cover. The soft cover protects the paint, the second cover protects the whole thing from the sun.

Yup, my covers get worn out, and I replace it when it does. It's a car cover.

7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    So if its just a car, like say my RAM truck, why use a car cover at all??
    Not trying to be goofy, I would rather wash it than risk scratches from car cover if I had to keep it outside.

one4torque likes this.
  8. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Covers do more bad than good on car paint. You might feel or think it's otherwise, but it's really not. I do have the cover, and unless the car has been just washed, I never use it.

I covered my Shelby once after being freshly washed and dried as I had to keep her outside for a while, and after a week, there were signs on the paint. I had to do a paint correction. The wind blowing really hard, combined with heavy rain, left may stripes on the black paint... never again.

The only time/ reason I use it when I know it's under the trees or lines where birds can drop bombs on it; if you don't wash it quickly it might stain.

patina and KC360 FL like this.
  9. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I only use it during the storage months of winter, when the cars are clean

KC360 FL likes this.
  10. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    I have a factory cover, but rarely use it because the car is garaged and I try to drive it at least once a week, year round.

KC360 FL likes this.
  11. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  12. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    If I'm not driving it, I have the factory cover on. Agree easy on, easy off, takes a min or 2.

What I like most is the interior seems to have a more pungent leather smell when it's sitting with the cover on, not sure why, but it's really nice when I get in.

13. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I've also only had it a year and frankly every time I take the cover off, it's a thrill to see it!

Extreme1 likes this.
  14. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I only use it when the car has been washed and I know I won't be driving it for at least a week.
    I always put it on for winter storage.

15. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The cover has always be a dilemma for me. I know it can cause more harm than good, but...

while I park inside, our area is dusty and my black F430 is covered in dust anytime the garage is opened. On top of that, my wife parks her daily next to it and the cover slightly reduces the risks of any scratches from her walking by to get into her car. She is very careful, but stuff happens.

I've found as long as the car is dust free, has a good coat of sealant on it, and I wash the cover every year or so I fair pretty well. I also try to put the cover on more like a blanket with someone helping me so I don't drag it over the surface as much.

Mario Andretti likes this.
  16. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I just realized as I should not have too much worries using the car cover.... the only place the car does not have PPF is doors and roof ! Don't care if I *scratch* the film :)

17. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Indoor covers and outdoor covers are quite difference.

outdoor covers I would avoid. They can trap moisture which can do all sorts of weird things and the movement of the cover can cause damage to your car, you are better off putting a good sealant on with UV protection and keeping an eye bird ****e

indoor covers do keep the dust off and if the garage is sealed should not move so will not scratch the car. Never had any issues with using an indoor cover. To be honest you can make a cover that’s just does just a good a job and easier to put on and off with 2 super king bed sheets sewn together.

Love the red covers with the Gee Gee on though!

18. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    There are not that many on ebay... One of them was mine; I sold one as my car came with 2 for some reason :)