360 - Keys in ashtray jamming lid | FerrariChat

360 Keys in ashtray jamming lid

Discussion in '360/430' started by FiatAbarth850, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Hi folks,

My new-to-me 360 just arrived and I've found that the seller put the spare key set in the ashtray before it was loaded on the transport truck. During the trip half way across Canada the keys have jammed the ashtray lid allowing it to open only about 1/8". I've fished and fished with a wire trying to unjam the keys but no luck so far. I think that all that I accomplished was to pull out the lighter freeing it to help jam things up.

Can anyone tell me if the whole ashtray assembly will pull straight out of the tunnel? Or, is there an internal screw holding the ashtray into the tunnel. I've been reluctant to try pulling the whole thing out for fear of breaking either the ashtray or the carbon fiber tunnel but it would sure be great to turn the whole thing upside down and shake it until the keys come loose!

Can someone post or send me a picture of the ashtray with the lid open so that I can maybe target my fishing a little better?

My car is a 2000 Modena if it makes any difference to the ashtray.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

Bill

2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
  3. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly correct. It isn't obvious in the pics but see the slot on the side? That is where the lid pivots down; there is one on both sides. The key is probably jammed under that edge.

5. rudkinjc

rudkinjc Rookie

Apr 27, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin II
    One option is break the lid and replace the ashtray with a cup holder. More functionality.
    Did a quick search on ebay. Just a replacement lid is $100 USD and you can get the whole box for $300 USD. Goodluck!

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Before you go breaking parts, I suggest using an endoscope under the edge of the console to take a look at how the keys are jammed. You should be able to see it since the side of the ashtray has a large gap where the lid retracts into. You may even be able to push the keys back in using an endoscope, or some sort of tool inserted between the carpet and the bottom edge of the console. I wouldn't resort to force until there is absolutely no other option.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  8. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. I've spent some more time fishing without any improvement in the situation. It had occurred to me a few days ago that I needed to see inside the ashtray if I was going to resolve the situation. I first tried my iPhone but the camera geometry doesn't allow it to see the back of the ashtray. Second, I ordered a borescope/endoscope, one the simple type that communicate with an iPad/iPhone. It should be here tomorrow or Thursday and I'll give that a try.

If for some reason that doesn't work I'll try prying one side of the lid off of the pin that forms the hinge and see if I can disassemble it without breaking it. If that won't work I may try drilling a row of neat, evenly spaced holes at the back of the lid over where the lid is jammed to see if I can pry the keys out that way. If nothing else works then I'll disassemble/break the lid.

I like the idea of a cupholder in place of the ashtray. Does anyone sell a cupholder that would fit properly?

Bill

dbdreams likes this.
  9. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    I'd like to know that too about the cupholder. Is there an aftermarket cupholder that is made to replace the ashtray?

10. rudkinjc

rudkinjc Rookie

Apr 27, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin II
    I have seen this online but I have not bought it yet. There may be others out there. I am not affiliated with this company.
    https://exoticcarbonfiber.com/product/carbon-fiber-cup-holder-6/

dbdreams likes this.
  11. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
  12. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006