Ferrari 458 Italia dry cell racing battery upgrade | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 Italia dry cell racing battery upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RayJohns, Jul 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Glad all well Murat!

Fwiw my Braille is fantastic, have had it for about a year, only street driving and
    works great and.. only weighs 4.8kg hahaaa!

Very best

2. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    #77 Aeroengineman, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    These batteries are great. They have ab awesome amount of cranking power. My '65 Shelby kit Cobra had a very high compression ratio. Odyssey was the only battery that could handle the cranking power. This cobra had no compression release like most of these cars.

It has been a long time but as I remember they were expected to last 12 years, my battery did last 11 years which is not bad.

In those days my car storage area had no electrical plug. This battery did not need constant charging if the car is not used for awhile. Most common batteries last 3 months with out charging. I think these batteries lasted over a year.

I had one in my chopper. The small common battery would barley turn the engine over the Odyssey had no problem.

THE ONLY DRAWBACK COULD BE THE amp Hours required to charge it. I had to buy a special made Battery Tender

great battery :)

Lee

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Just a quick update:

Well, the Odyssey PC925 battery, while very able to crank the car, doesn't seem to have the same long stand by time it did when used in the 360. So far, my exerpeince with the 458 is that I'm lucky to get 8 or 10 days. I presume this is due to the higher parasitic current draw of the 458.

I'm currently in talks with Gary at Braille battery regarding switching to one of their batteries soon here.

I'll update after I make the change and follow up with pictures and videos.

Ray

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #80 Melvok, Nov 28, 2016
    I had rthe "OEM" F battery ...

It is of 2014 so lasted only 3 years. Car being 2012, the first one also lasted only 3 years.

So why buy these frightfully expensive ones ?

Bought an ordinary 74 Amps AGM and all is well ...

Some small jokes (FOB, windows etc) ...

Looks to be perfect now ... Read all about it here ! :D

Nice: this AGM is also 6 kgs lighter Carlo ! ... For free ... :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    I would def. go Braille Ray, for the life of me cannot understand why everyone does
    not switch to a Braille cf LI Ion battery..

Who cares about the cost when you own a 250K+ usd car?

very best

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #82 Melvok, Nov 29, 2016
    Well .... some do Carlo, if there no real good reason ... and a battery seems to be a battery ... :D

F485 and Formula1r like this.
  8. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    OMG

Formula1r likes this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've since installed a Braille I48Cs; best battery ever. I'll be doing an update on it soon here.

Ray

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Hi Ray John-
    I remember you from the 360 forum.
    I had a 360and did quite a few mods myself.
    Welcome to the 458.
    This is a much more evolved car and so the number of mods you can do that make a significant improvement are much smaller.

Anyway in my 2014 458 spider, the battery I have is an Odyssey 48- I use the Ferrari factory batter charger which is better than the Battery Tender brand.

I am not as concerned with a little extra weight, since I’d rather have more battery capacity.

If you do want to save weight, get a set of forged rims.

The 458has much more power and torque than the 360, so saving twenty pounds is not noticeable

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    For comparison here are the specs for the Odyssey Battery which my service center recommends in the 458 and possible the 488.

Retail cost is around $260.

Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA): 1250
    Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 723
    20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah): 69
    Reserve Capacity Minutes: 130
    Dimensions L x W x H (in): 10.91 x 6.89 x 7.5
    Weight (lbs): 48.0
    Weight (kg): 21.8

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Probably good for about 15-20 days without a battery tender. My PC925 was 28 Ah and would fail to start the car after about 7-8 days generally (unless charged).

I think part of the issue is discharge rate. With a normal battery, you have both static discharge, as well as the car's parasitic draw, working against you. With a Lithium battery, such as the Braille, you are only up against the parasitic draw. Maybe I can ask Gary at Braille some questions and relate them here further.

Ray

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I’d like to see Ferrari offer a lithium ion battery upgrade option which will address the charging and discharging thermal and electrical management.

This would involve perhaps more complex adoption than just simply swapping in a Braille battery.

In terms of cost, lithium ion is more expensive. But if it holds the potential of being more resistant to failure due to parasitic losses, that would be advantageous.

I acknowledge that many customers get excited whenever weight is saved. Just look at the popularity of titanium lugs and carbon trim .

However, when it comes to the battery, the priority is functionality. A flat battery in a Ferrari is a drag. Just look at all the threads complaining about this.

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    From an electrical engineering standpoint, technically you can replace a car battery with a very large capacitor and the car won't know the difference. The battery is only acting as a long term storage device for electrons.

The main concern when using a Lithium battery relates to charging it outside of the car's electrical system (e.g. when using a battery tender or charger to top off the charge). You can't use a standard battery charger designed for lead based batteries. A lithium battery requires a different charging profile and voltage or you risk damaging the cells.

Like you say, a dead battery in a Ferrari is a real drag. And it doesn't even have to be a totally dead battery. Even just a battery where the voltage falls a bit too low (from sitting a week or more) will often fail to start the car and cause the computer to issue warning codes. Before installing the Braille battery, I ran into this a lot with my smaller odyssey PC925 battery and it was very frustrating. After not driving the car for a week or so, the battery wasn't totally dead. However, the voltage would be low enough to fail to start the car on the first push of the start button. Sometimes on the 2nd push, the car would crank over - but the car would then issue a warning symbol and electrical system failure / go to dealer message. All that gets old real fast.

For me, the two main issues are:

1. having peace of mind that the car is going to start every time.
    2. not having to constantiy use a battery tender

Thus far, the Braille battery has provided both. The weight savings is nice, but that's just an added bonus. For me, my main focus isn't saving a few pounds off the car. If it were, I'd remove the electric, heated seats and install carbon fiber racing seats or buy a Speciale instead of an Italia. With the 458, comfort, enjoyment and reliability are the main issues for me. Sure I like the performance, but I also like taking my girlfriend out on the town.

$2600 may seem like a lot for a battery, but remeber this: nothing is less sexy than your Ferrari not starting when heading out to dinner...

Ray

15. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Amen to that! Do you have a link to the ordering page of this battery?

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Here is the battery I'm running:

https://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_batteries/i48cs

The size is group 48 and it's a perfect fit into the 458 without any modifications or hassles.

Originally, I was going to get the I48CX, because it was so light weight and less money. However, after thinking it over, I came to the conclusion that the I48CS made more sense. Yes, it's 8 lbs more; but that 8 lbs gets you twice the standby time as compared to the CX version - and 18 lbs total is still incredibly light for a battery with 50 Ah of reserve.

Ray

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Never ... ever ... for me Ray, sorry ! :D

18. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Well, to be fair, Ferrari has sold quite a few cup holders for $3,300 each! But it does a good job holding a water bottle. :)

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #95 MalibuGuy, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Interesting development. Ferrari is going with a Li Ion battery in the 488 Pista.

The rationale is about weight savings.

It will be interesting to learn more about this. Battery size (Battery Council Group) and fitment hardware. Also would like to learn about changes to the electrical system such as charging strategy while running and battery tender compatibility.

The mid rear V8s place the battery in the cockpit ahead of the passenger footwell. This is probably advantageous for a Lithium Ion because it is a relatively cool environment.

In front engined F cars, the Cali in particular, the battery is located between the radiators and the engine block. This location was chosen for weight balance. The heat has little effect on AGM lifespan. This location probably isn’t a good place for Li ION.

However, since the Li Ion weighs less it could be relocated to a cooler location, without handling penalty Not sure where the other front engined FCars keep their battery.

It will be interesting to see if Ferrari switches to Li Ion for less track-focused cars. The normal range have greater electrical demands for the hifi stereo, navagation, etc. If so, that would mean that a properly paired Li Ion has a service life and reliability comparable if not superior to AGM.

21. drvik

drvik Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the issue of fire, caused by lithium battery failure. Particularly, how would an insurance company respond to a claim when a non-genuine, non-lead acid battery is installed (by the owner) into a lead acid charging system?

From my previous reading, lithium batteries are very sensitive and require considerable electronics to regulate input voltages to prevent damaging the cells. Basically, regulating the maximum voltage being fed into the cells, balancing charging between the cells evenly, and preventing drawdown past the point of battery damage, with the bonus that the smart batteries will save enough charge, that you can come back anytime, wake up the battery and start your engine. Braille appears not to have any of these electronics within the battery itself, but I have not confirmed this directly with Braille.

Here is a quote from another forum discussing this topic.
    https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1053769-braille-lightweight-battery-install.html

drive

F485 likes this.
  22. drvik

drvik Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I spoke with Gary at Braille before installing their battery into my 458. Naturally, one of the questions I had for the company was relating to the risk of fire.

My takeaway from our conversation was that there is some confusion regarding the risks of cell phone type lithium batteries catching on fire vs. other types of lithium based batteries catching on fire. Keep in mind, the risks are based on many factors (cell type, battery design, etc, etc.) not strictly that Lithium is involved. Additionally, I think it's important to remember that there are a lot of different chemistries used, when it comes to Lithium compounds used in cells. Here is some information I had previously read regarding the subject; perhaps it might pertain to this conversation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery

So far I've been very happy with the Braille battery in my car. I have never used any sort of battery charger (although I do own the charger sold by Braille). The car has sat for a number of weeks and always cranked right over. Probably the best upgrade I have made to any Ferrari actually.

Ray

24. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    am just concerned about electric and charging matter with lithuim battery. i would stick with original or any similar brand.

25. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You should learn more about lithium batteries and how electrons work.

Ray

willcrook and Il Co-Pilota like this.