355 GTS Value | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 GTS Value

Discussion in '348/355' started by Hakan458, Sep 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    While I generally agree with the premise of “take your time”, that advise only applies to not pulling the trigger on a inferior cars, which there are plenty. It also suggests that, no matter how good a car may be, don’t buy it because a better one will surface if your patient enough. So, yes take your time, but also be prepared to pounce on the right car quickly if it surfaces sooner rather than later. There will be plenty of cars for sale over time, but there will be very few high quality ones.

Doc_Dent and MHawk like this.
  2. MHawk

MHawk Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2019
    Florida, NY
    You're absolutely right - I meant more about the process of hunting for the right car in general. When you do find the right car, you should act quickly.

When I found the right F355 for me, there was less than a week between first phone call and having the car in my garage. It would have been even quicker if the seller wasn't such a busy guy.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Just remember, BaT does not set the market on cars. The key to big money on getting big money on BaT, is to be sell the first of its kind that’s been made available.

I sold a Japanese mini fire truck on BaT, and it bought silly money. It was the first of its kind to hit the site. Following that sale, about 5 more were listed there, and only brought half of what mine did.

In my opinion, the reason that GTS brought such a high number is that it was essentially the first one to show up on BaT.

I’ve said it before, but BaT has become the Barrett Jackson of online car sales. People often pay too much, one, because they can, and two, because they don’t know what else is available.

ShineKen likes this.
  4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It doesn't matter who or why. It's still part of the market.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #55 johnk..., Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    As a spider owner and spider lover, I can't for the life of me figure why people want closed sports cars and are willing to pay such a premium for them. With the top down the driving experience is only enhanced. The sound, the wind in your hair, the sense of speed and acceleration. All for a fraction of the price. You can't drive these cars anywhere near the limit on the street, so who care is a closed car might handle a hair better (B's that is, certainly not a GTS). And there is less down side to boot. Buy a GTS or B and at some of the current prices the down side possible loss is almost as much as a decent spider costs. The idea that these cars are an investment? Don't think for a moment that the market can't turn on a dime. I've seen to more than a few times over the last 35 years. I've said it before, there are much better places to invest, which don't have insurance and maintenance costs. Remember the first rule of investing in anything, buy low, sell high.

Oh, and IMO, a GTS with the roof panel off is probably the worst, ugliest configuration you can have for a car. Not just a Ferrari, any car. It's strikes me as a after thought: Designer, "Hey, I have an idea. Let's make 1/2 the roof come off. It's less work than designing a top mechanism for a spider." The only thing worse are T tops, but at least a T top maintains rigidity.

6. MHawk

MHawk Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2019
    Florida, NY
    I almost bought a spider. I love driving with the top down, just like you. However, I really don't enjoy driving a convertible with the top up, as it feels a bit claustrophobic and usually has poor visibility. Where I live, I would only be able to drive with the top down for maybe 3 months out of the year due to weather. In my GTS I still get the open-air experience when the weather is reasonable, or I can have a nice hard top when it is too cold/hot.

I don't see it as an investment, I see it as paying a premium to have the best of both worlds. If I lived in a place that had weather more suitable for top-down driving I don't think I would pay the premium for a GTB/GTS.

On looks, I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder - I love the look of a topless GTS and prefer it over the spider. I suspect I'm much younger than you, but in my eyes, a topless GTS is the coolest look from the 90s.

swoshsteffo, climb and MAD828 like this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Main issue for me and a spider in AZ, is that it is normally too hot with too much glare to enjoy a convertible. Then you also get the heat rolling over into the cabin from the engine bay if you are not moving quick enough.

I like the lines better on a berlinetta as the car has all its exotic extras... vents and buttresses.

Robb

INTMD8 likes this.
  8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    We have one convertible in the whole garage and it is driven the least miles of all our cars.

if someone was on the fence though and could not find a B or GTS, but could find a spider to enjoy... I would not wait and would buy the spider to enjoy.

In the long run, spiders are always worth the most out of available variants on Ferrari’s. Those are of course ones with manual tops... verdict is still out on electric tops.

Robb

9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

WATSON likes this.
  10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    challenge issued: Buy a mecum or BJ Ferrari and flip within 2 weeks on BaT.

sjd

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m sure there is some truth to this, but novelty isn’t what commands strong prices. For those that get serious premiums they generally:

1 - are excellent examples that are in original condition, very low miles, and superbly maintained (cosmetically and mechanically). Though, I will say that the GTS in question didn’t seem to be in exceptional condition.

2 - are marketed well with clear descriptions touching on every detail and a ton of photos/videos. Full disclosures.

3 - have exceptional timing and luck

355dreamer and ShineKen like this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Can't say the GTS has very low miles, but the guy did put up 300 pictures! The effort paid off. BAT sellers, take note.