I didn't think I'd see it this fast, ICE is history... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I didn't think I'd see it this fast, ICE is history...

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Was watching Le Mans last night...the only cars where you could see some sense of individuality was the Ferraris and the Aston Martins...and in the daylight, the Porsches too. All the LMP cars looked alike...and the inside view of the LMP cars...the steering wheels and lighting, looked like X Box games. My wife asked when they were going to have autonomous car racing. All leading me to remember watching Drone Racing on cable. And the future became clear...races like Le Mans would be best suited for robot cars, while F1 could be with drivers no longer in the cars, but piloting them from simulator chairs with their competitors in the same room. Pit stops would be animated virtual reality. The cars would basically be a spec series, with most of the sponsor ads being placed on the drivers...sort of like tennis and golf and skate board championships.

375+ and william like this.
  2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    More to the point of the thread, I just terminated the lease on my 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Lusso. Great driving car, but so overloaded with useless technology that I couldn't stand it. Much happier with a 20 year old very analog Porsche 911. Nothing makes you appreciate the skills of the F1 drivers of the past, more than driving a car of the past. And wouldn't it be fun if teams could chose their own tire manufacturers, and what compounds they wanted to run, and how many stops they wanted to make? And thank god for Jim Hall and his wild wings and Colin Chapman with his ground effects. They sent the auto racing world into spinning 360s. For the sport to become exciting again, we need it made up of individuals who are giants, not "teams" made up of cash.

I wasn't a big fan of the movie "Rush"...but I loved the acting, and I loved the depiction of how Hunt and Lauda forced their way to the top with sheer will power and brains. Maybe F1 has to die so that it can be reinvented.

1monza and mdrums like this.
  3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Climate change posts moved to the global warming thread in P&R

30-day ban for johnireland for posting explicit P&R.

4. Veloce12

Veloce12 Karting

Aug 19, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brady
    WTF? Pls explain.

Bas and Igor Ound like this.
  5. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Run that by me again ?

6. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    DISLIKE.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Dont you all think hydrogen can be the savior of ICE? zero waste -just water... and there is tons of it around ... we just have to get the cost down . and tweak the engines and tanks in cars.

ChadR and william like this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It could, but I understand that the production of hydrogen needs lots of ... electricity.
    If that's the case, it won't be very convincing.
    I keep an open mind.

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    by then someone might have figured out fusion and batteries might have become so efficient that you don’t need to put hydrogen right inside your car

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    yea I know... hoping some day Fusion power works - and electricity becomes ultra cheap.

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Don’t think we’ll see hydrogen in F1 either as fuel cells or combustible unless it first becomes popular with consumers. Brands want road relevance so they’ll push for same propulsion they offer on road cars imo. Hybrid -> Electric

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The problem with hydrogen is 2 fold::
    a) the hydrogen cycle is not very efficient
    b) hydrogen is very dangerous

In order to get a mole of hydrogen, one needs 14.7 Kcal of electricity (chemical breakdown of water into hydrogen and oxygen.) Industrial hydrogen fracturing is over 80% efficient. Now that we have hydrogen we put it under pressure in your tank, and you burn it as fuel and get 36% back out in the ICE. As an alternative, consider, consuming the hydrogen via a fuel cell which gives you 80% efficiency, only this time it drives the motor(s) of an EV. This is 2.2× more efficient than ICE.

Electricity->battery->motor power is 75%-ish efficient, whereas the hydrogen used in a fuel cell is only 64%-ish efficient and hydrogen in an ICE is only 29% thermally efficient.

Now consider even the smallest leak of hydrogen starts a fire immediately--hydrogen spontaneously combusts in air (over -79º F).

ChadR likes this.
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    The way I see it F1 will have to merge with FE who have a completely undeserved FIA exclusivity on full electric racing and VW with all their experience in FE and Domenicali at the helm of F1 will dominate... Next!

14. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Why does Formula one need to be relevant to street cars. I could care less what fuel mileage an Formula one car gets. They don't look anything like a street car? My everyday car sure does not drive like a Formula one car. Its supposed to be entertainment. I want to hear a V10 or V12 screaming to a redline of 20,000 RPM. I want manual gearboxes where the driver misshifts occasionally and makes mistakes. I want steal brake rotors were they run out of brakes before they run out of tires. I just watched the video of Senna running through Monaco, manually shifting, hanging it out between the guard rails and almost losing control in every corner. That is racing.

Bas and Finlander like this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Liberty can then write a tell all book titled ''F1: The 5 billion dollar smouldering wreckage. Please buy so we can recoup our losses''.

jpalmito and Igor Ound like this.
  16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ask Todt and manufacturers like Renault and Mercedes in particular

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Helloooo, is it me you are looking fooooo...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

fil, tifosi12 and Bas like this.
  18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Without relevance, there would be no interest for manufactuers to be in F1, and they are the biggest investors.

If they were all to depart, F1 would be shrinking budget wise. Possibly the show could be better, though.

F1 as a business is competing against Formula E, WEC, and WRC to attract constructors.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Funny, yet irrelevant. Remember Bernie tossed in the towel of the 2020 season. Was he wrong!

william likes this.
  20. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    If it was up to me, I would allow cigarette advertising to come back. Those were the good old days.

tifosi12 likes this.
  21. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    So, next week the UK government will announce the banning of the sale of new ICE only cars from 2030 and hybrids from 2035. The writing on the wall can't get much starter than that.

william likes this.
  22. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Really?

william likes this.
  23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Maybe come up with a new ICE that burns tobacco.

pilotoCS and william like this.
  24. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
  25. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name: