Do I need to replace front Bonnet? | FerrariChat

Do I need to replace front Bonnet?

Discussion in '308/328' started by raines, Oct 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I upgraded my 81 308 2-valve to a 328 QV. How detrimental is the extra vents on the QV front bonnet? I’m assuming it’s for the extra heat.

2. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    IMHO the vents in the front bonnet were to exit air over instead of under the car........

3. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Are the 2V cars open under the front section of the car to allow air to go under? My QV is certainly "sealed" to not allow much air to go under, it has to go up.

4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The 2V radiator air mostly exits from the vents behind the headlights. It does not go under the car to any large extent.
    That is one thing i found intriguing from an engineering standpoint when i bought the car, everything, aerodynamically, or vent/intake is functional, no useless styling features to be found.

Doug

waymar likes this.
  5. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    My ‘82 308GTSi feels a bit light in the front end in triple digits. Always wonder if the bonnet center vent would help. Just saying.....

6. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    So, because the engine is upgraded to 3.2 and QV on my ‘81 2V body (no vents), will the 2V body accommodate airflow to bonnet vents, and does radiator get hot enough to warrant extra vents?

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Do you have the small or the deep front spoiler. Though many folks think, that the deep front spoiler is useless and just adds some muscle appearance, in fact it's useful regarding the 'light front feeling' you mention, at higher speeds.
    I have compared both. With the DFS the car feels much more stable at triple digits.

Best from Germany
    Martin

waymar likes this.
  8. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Martin.... good to know......

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yes. Aerodynamics play an important role at higher speeds. Also interesting -and difficult to try with your speed limits- is, that when driving more than 200km/h (125mls/hr.) the tail of the car feels nervous, literally wiggles, when driving with headlights up.
    Once, when driving through dusk on an empty Autobahn I thought I have a suspension problem. When trying again next day
    , the behaviour was gone. Took a while until I figured what's going on. Actually till the day when I switched on the headlights while driving fast on the Autobahn.

Best
    Martin

waymar likes this.