FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PREMIO DE PORTUGAL 2020 - PORTIMAO....RACE ▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄ | Page 12 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PREMIO DE PORTUGAL 2020 - PORTIMAO....RACE ▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Oct 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Nice one ! Not on F1.com but google "anthony hamilton court lie" and Bingo his dad admits lying too - everyone will watch these two upstanding citizens hugging for decades to come lol.

Best,
    Sammy

2. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    LoL...Give it up man, don't spend all your energy hating Hamilton, he is not spending energy hating you.
    It is done. Hamilton will forever be in the history books. Nothing I can do about it. Nothing you can do about it.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Context too becomes subjective fast. He mentions quality of cars, which of course is a factor, but how do you measure that? And again the best drivers end up in the best cars, it's only fair and deserved.

Some on here think it is unfair that Lewis drives the best car and only because of that wins. My view is the exact opposite: Because he is the best he gets the best car. Sitting in the best car is proof you are actually one of the very best. BTW: that doesn't hold true for #2 driver, whose role is to support #1. We had Patrese and Surer sitting in top notch Brabhams and Massa in a great Ferrari to name a few examples.

PS: Refresh my memory about Markus Winkelhock?

william, kraftwerk, ktu and 1 other person like this.
  4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Massa drove for Ferrari because he was fast enough to do it, he was fighting for the title before his suspension gave up at Monza and Ferrari asked him to help Kimi, and he was the rightfull champion next year, and he was the best driver untill a spring hit his head in 2009, so you should pick another name to ilustrate your idea...

Bas likes this.
  5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    PS: Refresh my memory about Markus Winkelhock?[/QUOTE]
    I think it's related to a certain race in germany where a certain crane handpicked a certain driver to put him back on the track....another "one off" for Elton!

stavura, jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Even 2010 he did quite well...

Psychologically destroyed after the ''Faster than you'' incident (in typical Ferrari fashion, marking his spring accident a year, to the day!)...

375+ likes this.
  7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Markus Winhelcock has the best percentage of laps led vs total laps, more than 40%. He only raced in one GP and his car broke down after a dozen of laps, but he was lucky with the timing of the rain and the change of tyres so he managed to do about half of those laps leading (and yet I think most of them were under safety car). You know the saying: the best way of telling a lie is with statistics.

Some time ago I have stopped worrying about what someone deserves and what not: things are what they are, deserved or not. Therefore, records don´t mean a lot to me. That old saying of "the best drivers are always in the best cars" is only half the thruth, as there are more good drivers than good cars. Also, different eras, inter team politics, plain luck and a lot of etcetera play a big role in this. So, Hamilton has the best record. OK, good for him but I don´t care, just like I like Ferrari not because they have the best record but because they´re Ferrari.

jpalmito, simpen, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Yep, that race.

The crane thing remains a mistery to this day.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, I remember. He was on pole for the restart. Didn't last long though.

That's why I said earlier the GOAT statistics are much more reliable because the sampling includes hundreds of races and thus eliminates/smoothes out anomalies like that race. I mentioned Panis in Monaco, there are other races like that. But once you take a big enough sample, which a chase for the GOAT is, then this stuff no longer comes into play.

I witnessed Manfred Winkelhock in Hockenheim in a F1. Sadly another one lost.

kraftwerk, william and ktu like this.
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    A lot of things do about that year...i know a few, but i suspect it's only the tip of the iceberg!...i went on the following year!

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I see the woulda coulda shoulda posts are piling in, it's hilarious, but unfortunately for those in club denial, the history books will tell another story about Lewis Hamilton's achievements/... and yet seemingly are still to continue, so yes I suppose that is hard to deal with.

cairns, william, ktu and 2 others like this.
  12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Try to put things into perspective and don't focus on a short period only to suit you agenda.

Compared to Hamilton's, Button's career is rather insignificant.
    BTW, it could also be said that he won his 2009 championship in the best car, which is what Hamilton detractors accuse him of doing !

Sure Rosberg beat Hamilton one year, but you forget to say that Hamilton beat him the 3 other years they were together.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True. In addition Lewis was just learning the ropes whereas Button was already experienced. I'm pretty sure if we put Button into Bottas seat today Lewis would drive circles around him.

BTW: Nothing wrong with Button, I like him a lot and was happy for him finally winning the WDC. But he is no multiple WDC.

That one cracks me up. Rosberg, the one-time-wonder just like his dad. And like his dad he got super lucky that year when Hamilton had DNFs. For once the planets aligned and Rosberg kept his head down. Not to be repeated.

Nobody entirely lucks into a WDC. They still have to be fast, consistent and sit in a great car to get to that. But luck can play an essential role. However nobody lucks into multiple WDCs.

cairns, kraftwerk, ktu and 2 others like this.
  14. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    At least Button earned his WDC. LH got beat by Rosberg and almost got beat by Massa. Since the Rosberg upset, LH's only competition has been Bottas. LH's best and only stat is luck.

furoni likes this.
  15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Button said the only way he could beat Hamilton was set up his car to preserve tires, being that he could not match him in speed. He said Hamilton is the fastest driver he had seen over a lap. Even though he beat Button 2 years and won more races, Hamilton is not the same driver as then, he is much better.

tifosi12, kraftwerk and william like this.
  16. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You got some good jokes man, keep them coming

william likes this.
  17. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As I said hilarious. thing is I didn't have Korr down as a flat earther shame ;)

cairns, william and ktu like this.
  18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Here are some stats that contradict everything you just said:

Massa, 11 wins, 16 poles, no title

Button, 15 wins, 8 poles, 1 title

Rosberg, 23 wins, 30 poles, 1 title

Hamilton, 92 wins, 97 poles, 6 titles

ktu likes this.
  19. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Couple of things - firstly I don't hate Elton at all - I've always conceded that in my view, Hamilton the driver is good for F1.
    This year excepted though - to my mind we are seeing another season where teams cannot catch up - to the point that I think all these red flags and time penalties are for the purpose of giving fans some entertainment at the front.

Where's the contradiction ? He said Rosberg beat Hamilton, which he did in 2016 I think if you look up F1.com stats.

Best,
    Sammy

20. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    There have been teams that "couldn't catch up" all through F1 history. At one point Verstappen was ahead of Bottas in standings this year. Lewis put over 20 seconds on Bottas last race, in cold tricky conditions. He put almost 2 seconds on Verstappen in a drenching wet qualifying earlier this year. You have to look at what a driver does in the car, not focus on the car. A great driver will shine in any car.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I agree, let's see Lulu kick some ass in the Williams.

22. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Did Schumi kick some a!@ in the Minardi?

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    yes, I remember the post during Monaco in 2007. Can’t forget that Kraftwerk was on board very early on.

not certain why Carol stopped posting. I think she started following other series. Isobel has disappeared this year also.

kraftwerk likes this.
  24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I thought that happened when Michael passed Senna for wins.

kraftwerk likes this.
  25. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi B yes thanks I hope you are well, and I think you are right about Carol, and I think Izzy started to lose interest when Nico Rosberg threw the towel in..I maybe wrong though,