6 Speed Conversion | Page 22 | FerrariChat

6 Speed Conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by rsmitchell10, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    I think when the conversion cars were rare and difficult to come by and made using all-original Ferrari OEM parts, then one could potentially envision recuperating the $30k because the difference between an original factory 6-speed and an F1 car has been approaching $70-100k.

In fact one of the EAG original conversions sold well on BAT about a year ago. The last two EAG conversions on BAT were terribly represented with poor pictures, the spider even showing easily cleaned dirt on some of the interior etc. Neither seller seemed responsive or attentive or bothered to show a proper driving video and as such did not meet the high standards on listing on BAT and did not sell.

It's a supply/demand situation; as soon as it becomes a commodity to convert F1 to 6-Speed, prices will drop and you could even get a paradoxical reversal where F1's fetch more than conversions. Not too concerned about my car, it has 24.5k miles and as such is a driver at this point, even though in excellent shape with all CF options etc. I would be surprised if I recouped the cost of the conversion. I do enjoy it enough not to care but I would not consider conversion an investment or even break-even proposition now that there is going to be a large scale conversion effort using machined/reproduction parts. Good move for the enthusiast but definitely not good one for resale value anyway you slice it... Such is life, you make decisions knowing what you think you know but unfortunately most of the time you don't know what you don't know and as always... it's difficult to predict the future.

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    agree cat dog... there are much better ways to invest $100k if ROR is your goal.

I do however, appreciate the notion of enjoying a relatively special car and MIN dep loss...... my recent exp was with new M products and AMG products...... $100K on a new M or AMG car.... is -40% pretty quickly.

Super excited to see gated cars in the hands of the masses....... a real driving treat.

catdog likes this.
  3. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    At what number of converted cars are gateds no longer considered rare? Would be interesting to know if the average mindset is “don’t care about ROI, just doing this for my driving enjoyment” or “looking for a profit”.

I’m a fan of the F1 when it’s properly maintained and set up but I’ll be watching the conversion space in the event I change my mind at some point.

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    AandSC—. Nice to have the option!

like getting two cars... enjoy an f1 car until you want something different or until you get $$$ f1 repairs.

catdog and AandSC like this.
  5. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I beg to differ on this one. There are not many conversions being done and since this is a costly upgrade it´s not going to be done often. 30-40k is a lot of money for most F430 owners. Plus i don´t see the F1 ever surpassing the manuals with their jerkiness and all the potential issues. I am doing the conversion for myself though as my F430 is a driver with 40k on the clock. Who cares what the value will be.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Hahah, just came back from a nice evening drive on the chilly roads; ok manual is a boatload of fun, more connected to car, you can feel the gearbox warming up and blipping throttle on up- and downshift never gets old... it's a very special feeling and shift lever action is very precise, job well done by Art and his crew...

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    This went for 90. So what is one with 40k miles worth?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ferrari-f430-7/

10. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    $95K with buyer’s fee. I’m surprised it went that high given lack of service and rough overall condition. A 40k mile one with all service and better appearance might do just as well, but I would guess probably closer to 75ish. All depends on if the right buyer comes along.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    No one is spending 75k on a 40k mile car, especially an 05 or 06

12. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Take a look at Autotrader. The cheapest 06 is $90K with 34K miles. Are you saying 75 is too low or too high? A well presented 430 with up to date service and records shouldn’t be selling for 360 money.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If a clean 11k mile car is 90 then a crappy 40k mile car is 60k

14. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Crappy 40K mile car might be at 60 but a nice 40K mile 430 would sell for more. Selling price depends on a lot more than just miles.

15. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
    I’d love to see a few examples of these 75k clean Carfax 430’s.

Can someone please post some?

one4torque likes this.
  16. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    On another note, this 6-speed F430 thing seems to be like fine wine, it gets better the more you drive it...
    Absolutely loving it now, the more you drive it the more attuned you get to the clutch and gearbox action

one4torque and AandSC like this.
  17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Looking forward to playing wit mine

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    A crappy high mile 430 in converted stick trades at same amount as low mile f1. What are you having trouble understanding?

19. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
    I’m surprised with how rude you’re being but to answer your question, I am having trouble understanding how you are making a large scale extrapolation of a market with a single case on either side.

it is my opinion that the stick car brought as much as it did because it was one of the first traded, the more of these that are out there, the less they will be worth. Also, I’d be willing to bet that the market for oem cars vs converted is very different in number of interested parties so while the oem cars will never exceed demand, I bet these will exceed demand quickly.

the grey coupe you posted was a very good deal and likely indicative of a poorly marketed car but more so many holding off due to the election turnout and overall uncertainty and a very motivated seller.

I am still waiting for a few examples of the 75k (or even 60k as you said) 430 that you seem to think are plentiful.

Bueller, Bueller....

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #545 ttforcefed, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    do your own work. make offers on cars. it takes time but they are around.

21. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    The seller of the ~$95k grey car really did not do themselves any favors without even changing the oil before the sale. I think it has 15 year old tires too. Really weird.

22. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Fow how much?

Sent from my iPhone using MotorInteractive

24. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019