Classiche Certification for a 550? | FerrariChat

Classiche Certification for a 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Nick-550, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nick-550

Nick-550 Rookie

May 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nick Iarocci
    Hello,
    I have owned my 550 for 10 years now and I am still very much in love with this car. I intend to keep it for a very long time and given that many are of the opinion that the 550 will be a future classic I was wondering whether or not a Classiche Certification from a Ferrari dealer would be worthwhile. It has been suggested that this would increase the resale value significantly. Has anyone had an experience with this process? I am open to your comments, ideas or suggestions on this issue.
    Thanks.

2. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    Hi Nick , depending on the car it may be worthwhile , I just did it to my 1994 512 TR
    Feel free to give me a call if you like I’m happy to discuss .
    Mike 973-610-7111

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    How can giving a Ferrari dealer ten thousand bucks (or whatever the current cost is) help your pleasure of ownership if you do not intend to sell the car ?

Take a look at some of the other Classiche threads to get more opinions but I'd be surprised if it has any benefit on resale unless the car is a super low mileage collector car and the regular 550 is hardly rare compared with most cars getting certified

4. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Will you ever modify the car ... stereo, exhaust, etc?
    Spending $10K now for a future sale "approval" .. I probably would not.
    Instead, I'd pursue the certification closer to your, if ever, sales date.
    Good luck with your decision.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Certify the year you intend to sell it. If you do it now and sell in 5 years, a lot of the buyers will ask "Well what did you do during these 5 years? Any proof it is still certified?"

6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I have two Ferrari’s:

1989 328 GTB
    1999 355 F1 Berlinetta

Both are Classiche Certified, and both have had their annual re-certification for the last two years. They are both concours grade. I did not have have them certified for resale value. I did it simply because I enjoy having another layer of provenance for them. I have no regrets. My suggestion is, if you like the idea and concept of Classiche Certification, than do it and enjoy it. If it’s strictly to add value to your car for resale purposes, don’t bother. Wait, and start the process a year prior to when you plan to sell. It can take up to 6 months or more.

tomc likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No

wbklink and BarryK like this.
  8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Even if you are selling today, I would doubt that the $10k on Classiche will be realised in the sale on what is a $100k+ car. May be just about worthwhile when he 550 another 25 years years older, but right now there are so many pristine reference examples around, and with good documentation available for ensuring originality, unlike some older cars. If you are a concourse exhibiting fan, Classiche would be another notch for the car, and its cost just like the entry fee for a concourse judging, even if the criteria are much lower.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I was under the impression that Classiche is only certifying cars more than 25 years old, and supercars of any vintage. I must be misinformed.

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It must have a manufactured date of at least 20 years, or be limited/special series vehicle (very limited as defined by Ferrari).

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Ok, 20 years. Thanks.

12. craigburton

craigburton Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Jayemm on YouTube is just about to start the process on his 550, I think he said that he was going to document the whole process start to finish...? May be of interest to you...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Just to be clear, the actual cost to Classiche a 550 Maranello is currently $5,904.78

Classiche it now or later, the value is there for those that support the program. There are many non-buyers whom have negative opinions. What you want to know is what buyers value. I am asked if a vehicle has been through Classiche as part of the PPI checklist more often than not. I can only assume that if a buyer is asking, there must be a value. Do Classiche examples bring more that an identical non-Classiche example, I have never seen a documentable example that it brought less money.

There is an annual re-inspection, that here we perform with the annual service visit for no additional charge, to make sure it is still original.

Again, its value is only there to those that care.... to those that don't, there isn't.

Its your Ferrari, do what makes you feel good.

Steve

Solid State, Texas Forever and slm like this.