Weather and the 360 | FerrariChat

Weather and the 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by albkid, Nov 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The hot weather in NM has finally broken, and I took the 360 out for a drive yesterday with the ambient temperature about 50 degrees F. The engine performed beautifully... smooth and powerful.

In driving my various sports cars that I have owned in a four decade period, I have noticed a similar reaction in engine performance at such a temperature. At a stop light, the engine purred with just a hint of vibration from perhaps the crank. Normally, I would say I am nuts, and its just a perception not based on fact. However, I do enjoy what I perceive. Does anyone else notice a similar change in engine performance at a medium temperature of about 50 degrees?

It was a day that the Ferrari put a smile on my face.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 EastMemphis, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Lower temperatures equal higher density air which is better for performance. Pilots are intimately familiar with this phenomena. Hot/humid days equal poor performance. A nice cool day in the 50's will make your normally pathetic gas prop plane soar.

The effect should be a lot less pronounced with a turbo engine.

3. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary the times I drove it while it was snowing and in the 20s. I'm guessing I probably shouldn't admit that here.

Daryl Zernick and My 1st like this.
  4. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Certainly less pronounced with forced induction, but given a sizeable gap (Vegas to Yellowstone/Tetons, for instance) it will still suffer. I certainly noticed a performance drop on my GTI last year for our annual Ravehajj :)

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Well this is partly temp but mostly altitude. Vegas is only 2,030 ft. Jackson Hole is 6,000 and West Yellowstone is 7,000. 2K = 19.4% and 7k = 16%. So there is 17.5% less oxygen at 7k than at 2K.

Daryl Zernick likes this.
  6. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    True, but bottom line it equates to lower density of oxygen in the air. Which is why i said it's a drastic example of course, but still illustrates that FI cars can and do have plenty of issues with lower density. Certainly requires more of a change than an N/A car would see, but even between summer and winter in MD I notice a fair bit of timing change on my datalogging. :)

Skidkid likes this.
  7. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Albuquerque is at 5200 ft; our home, which is on the side of the Sandia Mountiains is at 6700 ft. My drive varied between these two altitudes.

I certainly appreciate the less oxygen issue,which I would expect the ECUs to adapt to such a condition, but I think East Memphis has the answer to what I have observed.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Albuquerque is about a mile high, and Santa Fe even higher at over 7,000 ft., so air density effect due to temperature changes is probably more pronounced given the operating ranges of most internal combustion engines.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat