Lubrication of gear selector | FerrariChat

Lubrication of gear selector

Discussion in '308/328' started by GT4andMore, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT4andMore

GT4andMore Karting

Oct 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi,
    As part of my journey of exploration following the removal of the centre console on my 308 GT4 I have the gear selector on my bench for disassembly, clean up and replacement of the springs, silent bloc connector and selector bush.
    When I split the selector housing and lifted the lower bowl onto the bench it was full of gunk. My question is whether this was once EP90 or something similar and whether the lower bowl is designed to maintain a bath of lubricant.
    My original handbook contains a Plan of Lubrication which looks fairly comprehensive but does not include topping up the gear selector bath.
    I assume therefore this area should simply be greased but would welcome any comments to the contrary.
    Thanks in advance.
    Graham

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Just greased from the factory, probably white grease, I recall there is some plastic bit in there. Over the years people grease or squirt oil down the hatch. Probably does not hurt things to have some excess oil sit in the "sump", but it probably also includes dust and debris build up that is going to happen with an open gate shifter.

3. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I lubed mine liberally with Molykote 33 Medium after posting a similar question on FChat. It's a good product and compatible with the plastic cup part.

kiwiokie likes this.
  4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    This assembly in no way is designed to operate in a bath of lubricant. Take everything apart, give it a good cleaning, and grease all of the contact points when putting it all back together.

thorn, waymar, mike996 and 1 other person like this.
  5. GT4andMore

GT4andMore Karting

Oct 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Great - thanks everyone. Look forward to getting this greased and back together with the new components. A nice and satisfying job.

6. GT4andMore

GT4andMore Karting

Oct 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Saabguy, ragtop1, thorn and 4 others like this.
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Any assembly lube of grease will help it upon install.

Mine became very stiff, as it will gather spilled drinks, so I poured a tablespoon of 20-50W in there to free things up.
    Works like a champ now...

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I am curious if there was wear on the aluminum casing where the shaft moves. Is there a some sort of bushing or is it steel shaft on aluminum?

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    There's no bushing and I've never seen any wear even on a 308 with 145,000kms

10. GT4andMore

GT4andMore Karting

Oct 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The main bearing surface is indeed steel on aluminium but there was no obvious wear. More surprising is the bottom bush, where the base of the vertical gear stick engages the horizontal selector shaft, is plastic sitting in a steel cup. This also looked fine after 80,000 miles however I replaced this bush as a precaution. Overall it is a very satisfying mechanism. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes to the gear change once it is back on board.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I just use a very(!!) light coating of white grease at the selector (inside the gate). Doesn't need to be goopy and slathered.

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I have a thread on my rebuild from a few years back. No bath. Red grease except plastic on metal bushing that I used the white stuff. Silky buttery smooth ever since.

Saabguy likes this.
  13. Gino328

Gino328 Rookie

Jun 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Watson
    Is it possible to lubricate the gear selector in a 328 without taking it apart?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app