430 - Ticking sound, heater now not working, video | FerrariChat

430 Ticking sound, heater now not working, video

Discussion in '360/430' started by Daryl Zernick, Nov 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    This ticking started happening inside my 2008 F430 Spider and now the heater does not work. Give it a listen for the brief pause in the ticking, as I press and depress the recirculation button (better heard towards the end of the video). Anyone know how to fix or does anyone know the part number, literal part name or have a schematic or picture of its location for the recirculation air flap part?

2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    What in the world!? I've never heard climate controls in ANY car makes that much noise. Even as you turn the recirculation on and off... crazy how it sounds like an engine exhaust note. Mine are all completely quiet.

3. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Yep... just started happening after getting the car back from the mechanic to replace the F1 Pump Motor, fuse, and relay.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The ticking noise sounds like a relay chattering, the other noise is like a motor running ?

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Look at plate 139 evap unit, it shows a recirc motor so this might have become disengaged - that would explain the noise when you push the recirc button. It also shows 4 Bahler actuators which might be the clicking if its not a relay

Qavion and Daryl Zernick like this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sounds like a disengaged lever.

Take a look behind the stereo system head unit on passenger side. You will see a lever the pulls the vent director flap open or close.
    That may have disengaged.

Dan

Qavion and Daryl Zernick like this.
  7. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Isolated. It is the TGK Valve. I could feel the ticking when I touched it in the video. I unplugged the harness going to it and the ticking stopped. Now, to DIY or not to DIY, that is the question???

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck and Qavion like this.
  8. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
  9. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Nice work Daryl. I had to google the TGK valve, Appears this is just an expansion valve manufactured by TGK?

Daryl Zernick likes this.
  10. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
  11. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Looks to definitely be DIYable. My only concern is how much antifreeze is going to come out of those pipes. The shop manual just says to place a pan underneath the pipes and the reinstall says to top off the antifreeze if needed.

12. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
  13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Is this just controlling the hot water flow to the heater then ? Its not in the chiller system from what i can see

14. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Good Lord. I was reading other people’s experience with this issue and found that others reported it was fixed by pulling the AC fuse, turning the key to on, turning it off, replacing the fuse, and turning it back on. I did this and the car acted as if it had a dead battery. So, I put it on the charger, turned the key and all works normal, the TGK valve has even stopped ticking as per others experience.

TGK order canceled.

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Correct. Although AC vent flap linkages could cause the clicking noises, I did think it strange that they would stop heating (the heat should come out somewhere, no?)

16. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    What I’m touching is the TGK valve and is where the ticking sound came from

Qavion likes this.
  17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

about 1 liter or 2 will come out.
    been there done that.

18. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    This just happened to my car, 2008 scud with 15,000 miles. Took the car for the last drive before putting it away for the winter and I could hear the ticking sound somewhere in the dash area. I put the car away and planned on dealing with this in the spring. This thread came up shortly after I put it away and I finally had the time to remove the fuse and turn the key as instructed above. This worked, I tried turning the key several times and no more clicks, thanks Daryl.

19. NorCalGuy

NorCalGuy Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    NorCalGuy
    Daryl - thank you for posting this thread! Same exact issue started with my 07 F430 about six months ago! I was like...what the heck is that ticking noise behind the stereo/heater console - sounded like a stuck relay switch or plastic motor. However, mine started after I had to recharge the battery as it was completely dead from sitting for 4 weeks. After putting car on the tender to recharge battery overnight, I started the next morning, and boom...loud ticking noise which I had never heard before. Lately, the ticking has become intermittent and not ticking at each start-up. Heater/AC have been working fine. It's become more of a nuisance, but definitely was to get this resolved and therefore appreciate the potential fix with pulling the fuse. I will try it.
    Kind regards.

20. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I write a procure document for this. See attached.

Attached Files:

21. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Qavion likes this.
  22. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
  23. Mercedes_Benz

Mercedes_Benz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    Sorry to bump up an older thread. But I just got this ticking sound behind the dash, I wanted to try pulling the fuse. But which fuse exactly is it? and where is it located? Thanks

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The TGK (hot water) valve is powered by the HVAC ECU. The HVAC ECU is provided with power from two fuses. One is the maxi fuse #3 near the battery (probably a lesser known one, so not the one pulled). The other is PSF13 ("+15" Air Conditioning system,"+15" recycle pump) behind the left hand seat.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

+15 means that the fuse is powered by the ignition, so I'm not sure why turning the ignition off wouldn't do the same thing.

Maybe @BlacktopRacing can clarify?

Mercedes_Benz likes this.