Anyone with extra OEM 550 or 575 mufflers? | FerrariChat

Anyone with extra OEM 550 or 575 mufflers?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by niftyfivefifty, Nov 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Hi Everyone, I am on version 3 of my exhaust experimentation, and I am looking for a pair of OEM 550 or 575 mufflers to test with a Supersprint X-pipe. Right now I have Fabio's headers, OEM center muffler, and extremely loud Tubi competition mufflers. If anyone wants to try the Tubis in a trade, let me know and I'd be happy to loan them out in exchange for trying the OEM models. I have one of Fabio's center H-pipes if someone wants to try it as well. Thanks!

F456M likes this.
  2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’m here with the popcorn watching and enjoying and learning!

F456M and niftyfivefifty like this.
  3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    How come you didn't go with Fabios full system? Sounds great with the valved mufflers.

4. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    They are on the wish list, but I think I like to tinker too much, and I am very curious to hear equal length headers on the original mufflers.

F456M likes this.
  5. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    Very curious to hear this setup as well. Good luck with search. Depending on how active you want to get, maybe scour 550/575 listings for mention of “original mufflers also included”. It seems like a handful of the cars for sale with aftermarket mufflers make note of including the originals too maybe the seller would part with them

6. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Do you have cats on the car? I have the oem manifolds, cats, fabspeed x pipe (came with car) and tubi muffler deletes and it not too loud.

7. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    This may not help your situation but I have one very nice late 575 silencer/muffler available. Would have to look again for which side part number.
    As for using 550 and early or late 575 silencers they are not the best flowing units. Of those three the late 575 piece is the best. It was used when the center resonator was deleted for factory straight pipes. I looked at each of these with a scope years ago and added my comments in an exhaust thread here somewhere with some rough drawings and pics. Guessing prior to 2015. If I get time to search the thread out I’ll post a link.
    Bill
    FL

8. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    It have an xtra set of OEM 456M mufflers.
    Not certain if they bolt right up but I also removed Fabio’s H-Pipe and went OEM resonator into Fabio’s muffler eliminators.

4th combination but worked and sounds PERFECT.

F456M likes this.
  9. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I have a pair of original 550 mufflers but without vacuum unit for the valves.
    And the 2nd problem, i'm from Germany.

I don't need them.
    Perhaps we get together ?
    I think shipping is about 100 €
    But how to pay without high costs ?

Daniel

10. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    That is a great idea, thanks for the tip!

No cats, and with open center and Tubis it is 105db at the back of the car at idle :eek: I think I will eventually go back to cats.

Awesome, let me see if I can find another late 575 muffler. I've heard the same, that the late 575 and the HGTC 575 mufflers are the best of the OEM units.

Thanks for the offer! I was hoping for 550 or 575 mufflers for the valving because the Tubis are too loud, and the center OEM muffler is too quiet. But I will let you know if I change my mind.

Hey Daniel! Thanks for the offer, and let me run some shipping numbers on my commercial accounts to see if I can get us a deal.

11. Dm993tt

Dm993tt Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    #11 Dm993tt, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    456/456M mufflers will not fit.

13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    TJsBeer and m5shiv like this.
  14. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Sorry to sidetrack, but does anyone know if Fabio's 6-1 headers are available for RHD 550's ?

15. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Here are some of my old 550 & 575 stock silencer/muffler notes.
    Have two Maranello Silencers here, late 575 p/n 200997 & 998 (first pics) and 550 p/n 167998 & 999 (second pics). On these mufflers you have a single inlet coming in on the outer side of the car (relative to it's position on the muffler). At the rear, you have the two exhaust tips, primary side of exhaust on the outer side of car. The bypass valves are inboard and open possibly at startup for some years, and for sure under throttle up the RPM range. What I tried to show in these pictures is that the 550 exhaust comes in and hits a plate at 90 degrees, then routes left or right to respective locations. You can see no daylight through these.

On the late 575, the exhaust comes in the inlet, enters and bends around to the secondary/bypass side and you can see daylight looking through the muffler when the bypass valve is removed or open. It sort of goes out of it's way to go to the primary side of the muffler, forced there when the bypass valve is closed. It has a more direct route towards the secondary or bypass side provided the bypass valve is open. It has to have better flow at the very least when the valve is open.
    Bill
    FL

1st pic, Late 575 p/n 200998 bypass outlet (can see light), valve removed.

2nd, 550 p/n 167998 bypass outlet (flat plate @ 90 degrees) valve removed.

3rd, 550 p/n 167998 inlet side

Attached Files:

white out, F456M and niftyfivefifty like this.
  16. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Took a couple minutes to look further at the two mufflers previously mentioned above. Used a flexible digital scope to explore these a little further. Attached find pics of 550 diagram somewhat detailed and a very rough draft of late 575. Sorry about the technology.

Describing what's going on here (550), the air flow comes in at the inlet and flows down a perforated pipe that dead ends at a metal plate (see inlet pic in prior post above). The exhaust air can ONLY escape through the small holes you see in the perforated pipe. It escapes into the "muffler box". The only exit from here with the bypass valve closed is the primary exhaust tip which has a slightly smaller diameter exit pipe than the bypass side. Could not get an I.D. on this one, O.D. was 2.145" versus bypass pipe size of at least 2.25" I.D.. The exit pipes for the tips are solid (noted by bolder line) pipe ending short of the solid plate that is at the rear (front relative to car) of each respective exit pipe. There is an air gap of 2.5" between the end of the solid pipe on bypass side and the end plate, then an air gap of 3" between solid pipe and end plate on primary side.

On the drawing for the 575 muffler, the inlet air is basically a straight shot bending around slightly to the bypass exhaust tip. It has a solid section of pipe several inches long followed by a perforated section several inches long, followed again by a smaller section of perforated, ending with a few more inches of solid pipe. In this case, the exhaust air is directed to the bypass exit only getting out to the primary side through the perforations in the pipe, and more so when the bypass valve is closed. Note that the drawings are not in correct proportions.

In my opinion the 550 muffler can no way flow more air than the 575 when the bypass valves are open. Closed the 550 may flow more. Would probably take time on a dyno to know with certainty.
    Bill
    FL

Attached Files:

white out, F456M and niftyfivefifty like this.
  17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Mirek. Do you have any videos?

18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I cut my 550 mufflers open and modified them to make the car both silent as original and to get the back pressure the car has originally. I believe it makes the engine more powerful at idle and low revs and a tiny i grease in gas milage (important!! :)... And when open, they were supposed to be free flowing with a Z-pipe that mad the exhaust go straight through. It was still lots of muffling effect. And later changed to valved Fuchs mufflers. Big upgrade in the sound, but it is not as quiet when valves are closed. Not a big deal to me. Interesting to see that OEM 575 mufflers are more straight through. The thing with the Fabio mufflers is that they actually make the engine give a different sound coming from the engine compartment too. And it sounds better in my opinion. Big decibel and loud car is not as same as a good sound experience. I have driven several cars that are quite quiet, but has a spectacular sound experience because sound is quite complicated and is a result of ALL the sounds you hear. My impression is that to reduce all other sounds is smart because it is more easy to hear the engine, and then the loudness/decibel level can be lower.

just my thoughts!

Erik

19. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek

I do but it seems the 10 second file is too big !

20. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Mark Glenwood in Arlington, WA worked his magic on my car last week, and now I’ve changed my mind about the central muffler + Tubis with Fabio’s headers. My car was suffering from issues with the throttle bodies, idle screws, etc. and now it sounds completely different. Much quieter, but the sound is really fun from 0-7900rpm. I will try to post video soon; it’s been raining too much here for me to use my nice bumper microphone, but tomorrow looks like very nice weather.

21. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CItxJwSltw5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I don’t think my bumper cam was working, so I am pretty sure the audio is from inside the cabin. This is with Fabio’s headers, no cats, OEM center, and Tubi Competition mufflers. It is very “Ferrari” sounding, but also very quiet compared to the open H-pipe, and I can finally drive through my neighborhood after hours again.

Konadog06 likes this.