F8 or STO? | Page 27 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Agree on the stickers, race seats and carbon. Magnesium wheels should be a seriously considered option instead of stickers or upgraded paint for anyone buying an STO because of its lightweight/performance technology. Many went with the Weissach pack on the GT2 RS to get the mags so why wouldn’t that hold true with Lambo customers for their ultimate track focused car?

Actually, I think the mag wheels look better so for me it would be killing two birds with one stone.

09Scuderia and Shadowfax like this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Absolutely. I will never understand anyone under doing a car like this when lighter weight options are available. And to buy a non wp 2rs is just being a cheapskate. It was really only the Pista which had the CF wheels that left buyers with a legitimate out as those wheels are subject to damage and very costly to replace. An STO should be wearing all the light weight goodies. If you see one without the CF, sports seats, heavy wheels, with the stickers, I think it says a lot about the owner.

09Scuderia likes this.
  3. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I actually found it bizarre that they didn’t launch the car fitted with their lightweight magnesium wheels. The launch car was also dressed up in many options not available on the price sheet... so heavily AdP’d.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #654 Shadowfax, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Maybe they know their audience/usual buyer better than you or I think. They went for maximum visual impact. Threw the kitchen sink at it looking at those nike runner dot stickers...and STO door stickers. Like as if the car needed those to turn heads. With Ferrari Pista they at least kitted a car up with the CF wheels and CF. Lambo need to take a leaf out of Ferrari's book and stop with the try hard stickers. Very tacky.

5. Jon7

Jon7 Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I completely agree. However, the release car was shown with the sports seats and not the race seats. I think the sports seats look great but the race seats look better even if they are supposedly less comfortable. Comfort seats are not even an option, nor something I would ever consider.

6. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    The sports seats are carbon fiber, just have more padding now. Supposedly more comfortable than the racing seats and have adjustability.

think of it like the fixed lwb vs folding lwbs in the Porsche world, but folding throw on some padding.

where you get screwed is he exterior and interior carbon fiber. If you don’t choose some exterior carbon fiber options, it is a black/grey color I’m being told.

also they cover the carbon tunnel/ footwell with carpet if you don’t choose the exposed version.

what’s truly ridiculous, if you choose sports seats, contrast color, and bi-color you pay $1500 more than getting their design pack with the stickers.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I don't know enough about lambo other than to say that in a car like STO I think you need to go the whole 9 yards.

8. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    I agree.

My build is at $414K with destination. My clear bra guy will have fun pulling off the stickers, lol. I chose all the exterior and interior carbon fiber.

I chose the SC pack also which is truly a deal. $16,800 with magnesium wheels, track cameras and telemetry, fire extinguisher. The wheels alone are $15K.

Shadowfax likes this.
  9. Jon7

Jon7 Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Same on the mag wheels. The SC is a relative bargain if you want mag wheels which I do.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Sto will be comfortable enough with the race seats. To not get them goes against the ethos. I don't have a problem putting in seat time and big mileage in race seats. This is what the car is all about so why dial that back? It needs to be bought and driven hard wherever possible.

09Scuderia and ScrappyB like this.
  11. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    SLDriver likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I had the race seats in the Performante and I loved them. Very supportive and after getting accustomed to them I found them very comfortable. But they are body size and shape sensitive.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    They were pretty rock hard, no?

14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Love the car, BUT, at that point I think you really have to step back and think, do I really want to spend $400k+ and get a car with 'only' 630hp ? :confused: o_O

AtomicPunk88 and SLDriver like this.
  15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    They are very firm but after about a couple of days your body adjusts. My wife disliked the seats at first and ending up being very comfortable. If you need a slight bit of padding you can buy an orbus form or similar seat pad which soften things up.

16. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I didn't mind the race seats on my Perf, yes they were hard and your ass and back would hurt but I didn't find the comfort seats any better. I actually had AdP trim done to them and they looked amazing compared to the sofas.

However, I had a tough time selling my Perf because of the race seats which is why I'm planning to go with the sport seats for the STO. The new sport seats are amazing, they're comfy and still light weight and of course better for resale.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My dealer sold both my Perfs with the race seats in a few days.

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    #668 SLDriver, Nov 30, 2020
    I thought your coupe took a bit longer to sell? Was it listed for $359k? I remember it was listed on Lambo Toronto's website for a while and it was around the time I listed my Perf.

And different markets, different buyers.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The second one was sold within a week and then the buyer decided to spec a new one in a different color a few weeks later. It was now winter. Then Covid hit in March. Car was sold within 2 days after dealers were permitted to reopen.

20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    BTW- When spec’ing both cars, dealer advised that the race seats would not have any negative impact on resale.

21. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    #671 SLDriver, Nov 30, 2020
    And when you go to trade in your car they tell you the opposite lol.

Yes, I remember your car it was green and listed for around $359k. It sat around for a while even prior to COVID and I remember Gallo(?) telling me it was priced high because I was shopping around my Perf around that time and he was low balling me.

Back to the STO...

I like this...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I was very involved over on Rennlist...and my track buddy's that got 3&2 RS would notice with WP package there were some that had issues with the carbon sway bars breaking and the track guys would switch to the stock steel bars...a lot of guys didn't feel the WS pkg was worth the cost and offered no benefit in better track times.
    I never had a RS just regular GT3 so I have no personal experience but just going off what we would talk about the track days and on Rennlist.

23. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    same. No impact on resale. 'personal preference' is what I have been told. For the record, all Pistas come with ONE seat option...race seats. If you order the comforts (AKA sofas) on a GT3/ RS etc the car is harder to resale. Race seats and pads if needed.

Leaning towards the most basics of specs. Only option would be the package that includes the mags. Interesting tidbit, look at the price now for the mags that were optional on the GT2/ 3. $30-40k. Ordered ANY of the options other than the mags is an instant loser in terms of resale.

My Pista was 428k new. After 6 months the car sold to the the next guy in the mid $500k range. He kept it for a year and it then resold for....$430. Our car was a low option car. Several friends ordered Pistas that were in the Mid $500k range. Their options were worth virtually nothing on the secondary market. Many lost money because of their options. Buy a low to no option car and limit your downside. The secondary market for a STO will put ZERO value on the fluff. (like Pista, like GT Porsches).

Bottom line, the car has all the show it needs at MSRP. The STO is about go.

If you want show (and massive go) get a used AV Roadster. I had one, incredible reality changing car. Its NOT a drivers car like a STO, but its epic in its own way.

AtomicPunk88, Surfah and SLDriver like this.
  24. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Bingo 09Scuderia.

My spec is going to be white or black, red calipers, red stitch, black wheels, lift and I might splurge on sport seats. With PDI my spec comes in at $426K CDN. No sport seats and I'm around $417k. With no options and just freight the car is $406k'ish.

I don't care for exterior or interior carbon because it's not my forever car and the STO is priced too high to go all out. The way I see it is my spec will appeal to the buyer who wants the cheapest STO on the market.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #675 Shadowfax, Nov 30, 2020
    I think you will find what goes on on these forums only represents a very small part of the overall community who track these types of cars. The guys in our small group own multiple cars, many who track their Gt2 and 3 WP's, macs and the likes and Ive never heard of WP gt2/3rs sway bar issues breaking and they push very hard and are very fast, usually at track 1 or multiple days every week. Various circuits. All have the WP except one who has the regular. I'd say approx 5 to 6 of us have gt2s and all have shown to be pretty bullet proof. One also has a gt2rs CS but that car is very much a race car - different brake set up etc. Much the same with the 3rs's. The only work being done is alignment tweaks and tyres. I seriously wouldn't base too much of what goes on at RL. The joke is it's often referred as Rennlost.