308 / 288 gto ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 / 288 gto ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by NYJETSFAN, Aug 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Wouldn't a strecthed 308 with a 288 body and a 348 drivetrain be a neat project?????

Kind of a mongrel, but with a Ferrari drive train it would be less blasphemous than a 930 tans/sbc set up....

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    there's a stock length 308 with a 355 driveline out there....but the easiest way to make a 308 go is boost. My blown QV puts about 420 to the wheels, so a little over 500 at the crank I guess...., but I'm pretty sure it's the GTO valance and bumper I added that really make it fast :)

3. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very cool.

Meanwhile I have abandoned my own plans to convert the 308 into a GTO. Still have some of the extra pieces required for the transformation. Need to put them on ebay one of these days.

5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I recall a Norwood 288 conversion for sale some years ago (20years or so). The owner was asking $65k. It was nicely done. I think the add said he had over $250k invested.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, I envisioned to go that route. But it is insanely expensive to rip all the bodywork off the car and then replace it with the Norwood parts. That's kinda where I dropped the ball. I'm crazy but there is a limit.

GordonC likes this.
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Bumping a fifteen-years old thread must be some kind of a record...:)

Rgds

RacerX_GTO and tifosi12 like this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #33 nerofer, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    There was a Norwood conversion of a 328 GTS for sale last year in Europe, in Holland if my memory serves me well. The initial asked price was something like 200.000 euros or so; it passed from dealer to dealer, each time with a dimishing price. No takers. It' is probably still for sale somewhere...

Rgds

Edit, FWIW: Sorry guys: it was not a Norwood, but a Jim Carpenter conversion (my memory ain't what it used to be). It ended up on "catawiki", kind of european BAT. Result: reserve price not met. It must be still somewhere...

https://www.catawiki.fr/l/12863195-ferrari-328-transformee-en-288gto-par-jim-carpenter-1986

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Theres another thread where somone is converting a 348/355 to a F40 witha V12.. Interestingly the wheelbase is the same between 348/f40 and I think 288. You also have a north south drivetrain and they're lighter and stiffer than 308s.

Seems like best way to do a singerised ferrari 308/288 is to start with a 348. Drivetrain is correct layout its lighter and better than a 308 base. There are any number of 348s that were turboed and the knowledge base exists. The rest is body and cosmetics, you do need to reproifile the a pillar/windsheild.

A 308 with GTO body panels, to start the proprtions are wrong because of the wheelbase, maybe the block is ok but theres nothign in the rest of the mtoor you can really use. The gearbox is in the wrong place and unlikly to be robust enough.

Stock looking but lightweight and slightly flared out Cf of kevlar body panels on a 308, with a well worked NA motor or even a 360 motor, shocks springs and brakes. Could be close on 288 performance and whole lot of fun for not extreme $$$.

Lets call make a singerized 308, something that done right can be worth more than a 308. Add the right cachet/development and these could be 400k cars same as singer porches. 450hp 2700lbs timless needle nose styling with modern brakes rubber(17in) and shocks should do it.
    This is the the future somewhere. Once new Ice cars banned classics and reimagined classics with great performance will be more of a thing. The current crop of paddle turbo cars, theyre not getting reimagined and their their driving dynamics are already transitional to electrics.

The italian cars from the 70's through 1990, those are going to be increasingly redone/re-imagined to serve a market with a viceral yet hi performance stick shift non nanny, non aero, product you cant get elsewhere. We see that in american muscle already with new (primarily stangs and camaros) cars from the 60s.

ferrariowner likes this.
  10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You lost me at 348 and gearbox.

11. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Rob won't let me bump them out of the archives. I take what I can get. :D:D:D:D