F8 or STO? | Page 29 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    GT2goneF likes this.
  2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The fact that they developed two different materials for an STO-specific, load bearing component suggests to me that they intend to produce a lot of STOs. Otherwise, why bother engineering, testing and tooling up both versions unless there was a distinct payback (volume) to justify doing so?

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #703 Shadowfax, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    WoW. I'm surprised you're surprised with this! You've also shocked me with your response too in your conclusion which is way off base. Gee by all means feel free to shoot me as the messenger but don't hold me personally responsible for how many on the outside world think.

If it makes you feel better I've used Rennlist for certain things for my Porsches (advice and vendor reference for exhausts, CF add on's etc) and found it quite good there with some of the info and discussion from the guys, but in general I personally just don't have time to invest posting on it and, have read some stuff on occasion that does put me off doing so - not all - but some which would give weight to some of the comments I've heard said from many guys on the outside world who don't see Rennlost as worthy of wasting a second of their lives on, and these folks have all been and still are serious track and car guys.

I think like all things you read on these forums you need to put it into your own sieve and see what you choose to believe or, OTOH, see as total BS. No need to take offense with that surely? I would agree there is more a sense of track community at RL than here where there are more who like glossing over a cars misgivings and get all snooty when other members express a different POV to their own, labeling it as rudeness and the likes whereas on RL egos generally don't appear to be as fragile when conflicting opinions are offered. So yeah on that score it has its pluses.

4. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    It could be like Mclaren? Where you have to pay to have the exposed carbon, just like the rear wing.

It’s coming in at the same weight basically as the 765LT if you have AC and radio in the 765lt.

the options on my Mclaren 765lt spec cost more. Mclaren charges the most for their carbon pieces from my experience.

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mclaren are masters at overcharging because we pay.

GT2goneF likes this.
  5. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I would say 1500 cars would be a lot for Lamborghini. The production numbers for Lamborghini are relativity low compared to other supercar manufacturers.

And the materials and parts you see on the STO will most likely transfer over to the H replacement which I think will be more of a refresh like the 488>F8. For example, the wheels, the brakes, brake cooling, sport seats, etc...will all be available on the replacement.

6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Except I understand the 765 is made out of CF as standard. The MSO option is to have it unpainted so the CF is exposed, however extra effort is required to lay the carbon so that the weave is aligned versus a rough lay.

The standard STO wing is plastic.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #707 Shadowfax, Dec 1, 2020
    Was much the same here 09scud where interest and sales died only to rejuvenate with a vengeance. But one thing stayed the same. Cars underspec'd/ or poor choice of spec and/or indulgent color combo etc all took a big bath even though some paid a fortune to have the car look that certain "individual" way. Certain things appear a given where these high end cars are concerned - that is they need to look the money and they need to follow the launch spec fairly closely. That is for Ferrari and Porsche from what ive seen.

Now with Lambo I can't comment as so far none have piqued my interest enough to pay the attention to these details. The STO is of interest but for me would be a more a down tone unstickered spec lavished with the lightweight and carbon features as the car screams look at me enough as it is. A daring color is always good on a Lambo too imo but also looks sinister in Black which is a safe all time fave. And whilst Im not a big fan of the old saggy bum or hunchback clam side view angle I'm pretty sure I could get used to it if it drives really good and can pick one up at the right money once all the must haves are cleared out of the way. Its usually then you can get a better deal or have cost options thrown in as sweeteners. Will also be curious to see how I fit in it with the race seats. That could change things for me as well.

09Scuderia likes this.
  8. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Where does the 1,500 number come from? The dealer product guide says it’s a 3 year run. One must wonder how many more Evos will be sold in that period.... my guess is that Evo demand has been substantially satisfied and the residual interest in the Huracan platform going forward will now switch to the STO.

If so, the STO will represent a very high percentage of the total Huracans being built over the next 3 years. Same as what’s happening now with the 765 (replaces demand for 720) and happened with the Pista (replaced most 488 production until the F8 arrived).

What has been the typical annual production of the Huracan? That should provide a reasonable indication of how many STOs Lamborghini hopes to sell.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gh21631 and Shadowfax like this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    All the pieces on the 765 are CF but painted dark palladium. As an option it can be painted gloss black or available as twill gloss carbon fibre.

10. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    Decent spec car would be in the low 400K. I dont know if it is worth it overall. No doubt all the body details and paint/ stickers are compelling if you want to play race car. The power output is way down from the competitors in this price range and this maybe the last version of the Huracan until its full redesign. The only way to be sure is to check out the driving dynamics of this 2 wheel drive, high downforce example on a track, if the pleasure/experience of the drive justifies the price. Eagerly awaiting driving reviews. Any owners who have driven both the 4 wheel and two wheel drive and impressions???

Shack likes this.
  11. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    #711 SLDriver, Dec 1, 2020
    Lets take a look at allocations.

Canada is receiving around 20 allocations for MY21, expect around the same for MY22. For reference, Canada received 60 Perf allocations in the first year.

Japan is receiving 140 STO slots total, Perf allocation was over 200.

The UK is expected to get the same amount of allocation Japan gets because the UK and Japan sell the same amount of cars. For reference, the UK has around 300 Perf's registered.

In the US most dealers are getting anywhere from 15 to 25 total allocations. On the Lambo forum someone posted Lamborghini Newport is getting around 24 slots and LamboNB reckons the US is getting around 600 cars over 2 years. The poster also mentioned that some of the MY22 cars might be MY23 because of AdP. I believe the way the the allocations are spread out and AdP been offered on later slots is why they might mention production between 2021-2023 in the dealer PDF.

The total Huracan's produced for 2019 was around 2500. The vast chunk of the Huracan's that will be produced for MY21 and MY22 will be the RWD coupe/spyder followed by the EVO coupe/spyder and finally the STO. Will 50% of the Huracan production be STO's?

Highly doubtful based on the allocations dealers have received and price point. All we can do is speculate and take an educated guess based on allocations dealers are receiving and how many Huracan's they produce for each year to get an idea how many STO's will be built.

Shack and 09Scuderia like this.
  12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #712 ScrappyB, Dec 1, 2020
    Time will tell, but I suspect those numbers represent initial allocations and that more will be forthcoming if the demand exists. The exact same scenario played out with the Pista where nobody wanted a standard 488 anymore and Ferrari kept their line busy producing Pistas.

Unlike Ferrari which created a stop-gap new model (F8), I believe Lambo will try to ride the Evo model through 2023. I highly doubt demand for it will remain very robust as it’s an aging platform and the shiny new STO is available.

This is obviously pure speculation but it’s what my common sense says will happen. The language and cartoons in the dealer product guide suggests to me that sales people are expected to actively promote the car rather than just wait for the orders to fall into their lap, or that hitting sales targets are a forgone conclusion because allocations will be so limited. In other words, sell as many as you can.

Also keep in mind that the STO will be a high margin car. It’s in their interest to sell as many as possible. Again, same story as the Pista.

13. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I would say the average price will be $400k, the market intro cars could be in the $415k range and who knows how high the AdP STO's will go.

14. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    #714 SLDriver, Dec 1, 2020
    The reason for the dealer guide been so beefy is usually dealers fly out to the factory for new model orientation but because of COVID it was cancelled. You also have to take into account the STO has a lot of new features dealers need to catch up on. And wait till you see the configuration guideline PDF, it's 102 pages.

That been said, what you posted is plausible. Right now the demand is high and dealers aren't chasing customers but that can change in the coming months. I also think a lot of markets might not be able to fulfill their slots so the US might get extra build slots.

One thing I forgot to mention in my post above is the SVJ which was suppose to be a 2 year production run is still been produced. In fact, some SVJ63's are been built as late as May of next year. This doesn't mean they increased production numbers, all this means is the late orders and heavy AdP cars got pushed into 2021.

15. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    I would bet money production will be less than the combined 765lt coupe and spider.

The weight is 1lb lighter than the lightest 765LT.

It will definitely be less than Performante production. This is a high dollar Huracan with doors that open normally. It’s Aventador money for a lot of Huracan shoppers.

Their seems to be more interest by non-Lambo owners than current Lambo owners.

Thecadster and wthensler like this.
  16. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I would agree that the price may naturally limit demand and number of cars produced. The quantity is anybody’s guess. My main point was that Lambo won’t artificially limit production unless there are capacity constraints, in which case I would have expected them to announce that number to further stir up FOMO demand.

I’m interested in the car but will decide once I see more photos. The renderings and configurator are quite misleading.

As for weight, the published dry weight of the STO is 2,951 vs the LT’s 2,709 pounds. I can’t speak to how honest those figures are or what their respective wet weights are.

17. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    I agree nobody knows about production numbers. They are playing the same game as Mercedes with the AMG BS, by not numbering and limit by time. Seems this is the new strategy by manufacturers. Even Jeep is doing it now.

However, that was dry weight of the 765LT with no AC, no radio.

Wet weight of 765LT is stated as 2952 lb with 90%fuel load.

Lamborghini is stating 2951 lb with magnesium wheels, were you able to see that it was wet/dry? Maybe I missed it.

I am sure we will find out more shortly.

Great time to be a car guy.

18. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    2.951 is the dry weight, so about 200 pounds heavier than an LT equipped with A/C and radio.

It most certainly is a great time for car enthusiasts but it seems those days are numbered. Hoarding mode: enabled.

Thecadster and Fastmd like this.
  19. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
  20. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
  21. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
  22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Ageing ? -

911 - 50 years - that takes ageing to ridiculous levels - Porsche the masters of minimal benefit for maximum return and no one cares
    458/488/F8 - 10 Years
    Audi R8 - 15 years
    Huracan - 6 years to date

I hardly call it ageing IMO

Surfah, Thecadster, SLDriver and 3 others like this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #724 Shadowfax, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Yes but it does look old and droopy from the back. And from dead side on isnt all that flash either with the hunch back. With Porsche they change things like the lights and shift the lines here and there and successfully manage to keep the shape up to date with the times. Lambo hasnt done a thing with the shape anywhere and this is the big issue which is dating the body. At the very least Lambo should have really looked at the down turned look of the rear end view and those old down turned tail lights which makes the whole back end sag even worse and look old hat. The STO looks great from front on or front 1/ down the side which is why they play on that in all the poster shots. But other than those two same angles the rest of the angles aren't all that flattering tbh.

With the F8 or Pista all the angles around the car work well as is the case with the 911. Lambo H/P and STO OTOH are left to rely purely upon the front two shots as the god shots which they milk to death. The rear end and rear side view angles are really quite unstylish tbph and both need a lot of work to bring the body up to date. From certain angles it looks like someone booted it up the ass. I dont think the rear end was ever a great styling effort even 6 years ago when it came out and frankly I thought the old car (gallardo) looked far more resolved all around and aged very well.

GT2goneF likes this.
  24. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    We supercar customers tend to have short attention spans. The Huracan is a very familiar shape that’s been around a while with minor tweaks.

All I’m saying is that a significant amount of interest and production capacity will likely shift away from the Evo and towards the higher margin STO and that Lamborghini will want to sell as many as they can over the 3 year run. I don’t feel rushed to place a deposit. That’s my opinion but we’ll see how it actually plays out.