348 - Funny story about 348 luggage!!! | FerrariChat

348 Funny story about 348 luggage!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by mr308gtb, Dec 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    I don't think I ever told this story on here...

I've had my '94 348 Speciale for 20 years... 15 years ago, I started dating this girl and eventually got hitched. She doesn't really drive much with me in my Ferraris and doesn't really care much about my cars (which is fine)... anyway - she says to me one day, you know I have some Ferrari luggage in the closet crawl space.
    Turns out some old ex-boyfriend of hers had given it to her/left it with her, several years before we started dating. I was like, huh. I go and check it out and sure enough - it's 348 luggage, the two piece stacked hard case. How funny is that?

Julia, ernie, albert328gts and 6 others like this.
  2. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    I mean, she's into dudes with Ferraris. Can you blame her? At 50 I am beating back more 30 year old women than when I was 22. The funny part is that so far it's all ones who've found out I have one, not even seen much less ridden in it. If I wasn't married...

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Pretty cool and unexpected!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Haha. Nah, she didn't really give two sh!ts about the cars... she actually had way more dough than me, lol... and had a Porsche 911 convertible when I met her.

Michael_Davis likes this.
  5. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    You're lucky, we're about the same age, and I have to say having a Ferrari has made absolutely no difference at all in this area....lucky for me I am divorced and single should things change!!

albert328gts and Michael_Davis like this.
  6. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    So it's a mixed marriage, Ferrari and Porsche owners? ;-)

Julia likes this.
  7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #7 bjwhite, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Even while you're wearing that vest and tie? ;) haha. Just kidding man. ;)

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    And that is an amazing story. My wife would had thrown it out years earlier and the story would have been "I used to have this stuff, but I didn't want it so I threw it away" ugh

9. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    What in wonder is how the guy didn't try to get his damn luggage back. I'm going to ask her more details about the luggage... who would give some girl the luggage to their Ferrari. Not me.

10. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    Hehe, it was a charity ride where you get all dressed up, well dressed up for being on a motorcycle anyway.

11. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    It's funny how things work out like that sometimes. What are really the odds that she had, fairly rare luggage to begin with, and it just so happened to be pieces for the car you have?

A few years back while I was restoring my '65 Mustang Fastback I was in search of the interior trim pieces that warp around the back portion of the car. Actually it was 1 of the 3 pieces, as the car was missing the piece that sits right behind the driver seat that separated the sail panel and the quarter panel. They are IMPOSSIBLE to find!! They're either an extremely expensive complete set of 3, if you can even find it, or just plain non-existent. After 19 months of searching I just gave up, updated some posts on the Vintage Mustang forum and hoped something would turn up sooner or later.

As I was nearing the end of my build and finishing the interior, that piece was just gnawing at me! Everything else was perfect, new or restored to new, and here was this gaping hole. I had talked to a couple welding and machine shops in the area to see if maybe somebody could make the piece out of sheet metal or something...nobody was interested.

So, one summer evening, my wife and I are walking the dog and have the 2 year old in the stroller, it's the night before garbage day. We're only a block away from the house and there's a garbage can at the end of the street with a bunch of scrap sticking out of it. As I walked by something catches my eye and stops me dead in my tracks! I pull this piece of scrap out and, to my utter disbelief, it's not only the trim piece for a '65-'66 Mustang Fastback but it was the drivers side! I just stood there in the street looking at this piece in sheer amazement, it was a little beat up, but I could fix it with some filler, sand paper and paint easily. The older gentleman that lived there was in the garage and he came out asking if I wanted the can of scrap. I asked him "do you know what this is" and his response was "junk I pulled out from under my work bench". I asked him where and when he had gotten it and he couldn't recall, said it had been sitting under there for years and years, he used to cut the metal up for various things. I explained what it was, and not having the heart to conceal the value, I asked him if I could pay him for it. "God no", was his response, "take it and bring the car over when you're finished, I'd like to see that".

What unbelievable luck!! What are the chances of coming across something like that? It had to be Monday night before garbage day, we had to decide to take that route instead of the usual one we typically take, George had to decide that morning he was finally cleaning the "junk" out from under the work bench, what made him pass over that particular piece of metal time and time again as he was cutting things up, we had to be walking on that side of the street so I could have seen it, what circumstances had even led up to him having that in his possession in the first place?

All that time had gone by and unbeknownst to anybody actually, the exact piece I needed was sitting a block away collecting dust under a bench basically lost to time. Like I said, it's just funny how things work out sometimes.

Julia, Michael_Davis, MAD828 and 2 others like this.
  12. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Wow, thats an incredible story!! I enjoyed that, and can totally relate to it. Amazing.

Donkeykong87 likes this.
  13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Best. Story. Ever. Absolutely amazing.

My parents had a K-Code 65 convertible when I was a kid...sold it when they got divorced in 81. I'd love to find it again, if for any other reason but to share some old period photos with the current owner. That thing revved like magic I remember.

Donkeykong87 likes this.
  14. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    You'd be amazed how many people with your same story wind up on that forum and end up tracking something down. It's a great group of people there, as helpful as you'd ever want to find. This place, at least the 348 Brotherhood to be specific, reminded me of that forum and was the reason I decided to take the Ferrari plunge.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yeah, I've posted to the K-Code forum a couple times over the years with the VIN looking for any info or the owner. No dice as yet.

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What's really challenging the odds is that a girl dated 2 different guys with 348s. How many of those are there.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mr308gtb likes this.
  17. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    So when better today than during dinner to ask about this. So the story goes, that the guy gave her the luggage. "He didn't want it". She said she was in his cars, but never used the luggage. He gave it to her and she put it in the closet. I dont think he asked for it back...

Amazing story about the missing car part. Sometimes, thats just the way it goes. I feel lucky in life, I usually want what I get and am very happy... different from getting what you want..

18. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    As a kid in the mid-80s, my first car was a just-becoming-a-classic '65 Fastback. In strong driver condition I got it for something like $3500 I think? 6cyl/auto, but she had the pony interior and long (non-a/c) console. Wait, I think I bought the console out of a parts car somewhere and stripped/painted/installed it myself, come to think of it. Had that old girl until I was 23.

19. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Well it would be like a girl now dating two guys who had 488s... she used to go to Hamptons and I guess she knew the guy from there. That was before I met her. I'm from NJ.