Preventing Chassis Rust | FerrariChat

Preventing Chassis Rust

Discussion in '308/328' started by Gino328, Dec 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gino328

Gino328 Rookie

Jun 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Watson
    The 328 GTB/S owners manual says “it is recommended to have an anti-corrosion treatment every 2 years by a Ferrari authorized dealer” for body and chassis preservation. Is this something any of you do? Any alternatives?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Where do you live?

Do you drive in rain or snow ? If not, i wouldn't even worry about it.

Doug

3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't do it, but I live in a hot/dry environment and never drive in the rain. Does the manual recommend Dinitrol or similar?

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Moorespeed in Austin routinely "touched up" my chassis members as they serviced the car.
    I am not sure of the product.

Ziebart is an American equivalent of "rust proofing" but often they punch holes into hidden areas and then plug them with plastic caps.
    Not sure I would take things "that far" with a vintage 308/328

5. Gino328

Gino328 Rookie

Jun 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Watson
    Thanks for the sage advice. I live in sunny and dry Los Angeles so I can skip this type of treatment!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Hotshot6120

Hotshot6120 Rookie

Jun 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I live in the rust belt. Salt on roads as we speak. You can spray this fine oil in the door drain holes and in nooks and crannies. Comes in a can. Same stuff the rust coating places use. I got it there when my buddies daily was in. Crown rust I believe.

I spray it on my 911 even though is only sees rain now n then. I’m actually gonna cost the rusty bits on the 308 with it too just as an extra step.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  8. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #8 dave80gtsi, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    I've never heard of this factory recommendation before, but my first cynical thought was that it was intended to be a legal 'gotcha', giving the dealer the grounds to be able to deny any rust warranty claims, for the most likely case when the owner would be unable to show compliance.

As an aside, the original owner of my 308 took delivery at Lake Forest in Chicago - a snowy area of the country - and immediately had the car Ziebarted. There are a number of drilled holes hidden here and there all over the car for their anti-rust goop injection, each hole sealed by a plug bearing the Ziebart logo. This treatment has admirably accomplished their goal of preventing any visible anywhere on the car, so I am grateful for the original owner's consideration, now 40 years on.

Further, I annually took a spray can of WD-40 and, laying on back, sprayed this up and into the door and rocker panel water drain holes of my bought-new 1978 X1/9. I kept at it for 38 years, selling it a couple of years ago without one single spec of rust at any place on the car.

So yes, these ounce-of-protection rust prevention ideas work very well!

waymar likes this.
  9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Just for the record. Never use WD40 for rust protection....it will only makes things worse. The stuff is hygroscopic. Excellent stuff to clean with but lousy lubricant and even worse rust protection.

Best, Peter

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interesting about Dave's comment, on Ziebart.

It's a very interesting business and as he states the DO have a procedure, for every model of car.
    They basically access as many of the hidden voids as possible.

The wax like secret compound is then high pressure injected to "go everywhere" in these nooks and crannies, and the whole car is suspended over a reclamation grating where the excess runs out hot but congeals pretty quickly as it cools.
    It's a fine system, except for the plugs, and they are obvious but probably "worth it"....

IMO it has to be done when the car is new..and it has a very distinctive smell, that lasts a long time.

12. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Well, we'll just agree to disagree on this. It worked brilliantly over the course of 38 years for me, used as I described, and I can't imagine of any better Real World testimony than that.

13. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have used a product called OSPHO with great success. OSPHO is a rust-inhibiting coating - You do not have to remove tight rust. Merely remove loose paint and rust scale, dirt, oil, grease and other accumulations with a wire brush or pressure washer and let dry - apply a thin coat of OSPHO as it comes pre-diluted in the container. Let dry overnight for a minimum of 24 hours, then apply whatever paint. Longer dry times may occur depending on temperature, humidity and over-application of product. OSPHO has the consistency of water. OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate - an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black. Where rust is exceedingly heavy, two coats of OSPHO may be necessary to thoroughly penetrate and blacken the surface to be painted.

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Keeping a X1/9 rust free for 38 years is admittedly some task! Where I live that's impossible no matter what type or brand of rust protection you apply...-:) Joke aside, many people are greats fans of WD-40 and use it for multiple purpose, they trust it and are happy, so that is good and no offence here. I use it in great amount, but only for cleaning away grease and dismantling old corroded nuts and bolts. I'm just relaying my experience and I'm not completely alone. The product is well described in many other places.

Best, Peter

Portofino likes this.
  15. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
  16. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I believe WD- stands for Water Displacement.

17. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    One go on google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+wd-40+hygroscopic&rlz=1C1GCEA_enNO886DK886&oq=is+wd-40+hygroscopic&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i22i29i30.5769j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Found this quote that kind of explains it: WD-40, the product claimed to do everything. Except work well at anything.

Let's stop here. It will be an endless discussion. Each one to each taste.....Just trying to convey that WD-40 is not the professionals first pick (Or cheapest either) when wanting to protecting a car against rust.

Best, Peter

18. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Peter, how can something comprised of mineral oil and non-polar hydrocarbon solvents be hygroscopic?

Not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, but what you said earlier “for the record” is exactly the opposite of reality.

And I agree there are better things for this application.

Perhaps there is another mechanism that explains the rust others claim to see WD40 causing. When I was much younger doing my first brake jobs I recall being puzzled as to why when I took brand new brake rotors and cleaned the packing grease off them with lots brake cleaner, they would start rusting within minutes. Of course it occurred because I used enough cleaner to cool the rotor below the dew point and water from the humid summer air condensed. But did the solvent rust the rotors? No. The water did. Similarly the lifehacker article cited makes dubious claims that WD40 causes firearms to rust when the reality is a little more complicated. The lubricants are not appropriate for firearms but they do not cause rust. They don’t prevent other things (temperature and humidity swings in the environment) from causing rust.

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    WD40 doesn't cause rust, but it is not a long-term preventative. I don't know any firearms enthusiast who trusts it over better solutions. (Not saying there aren't any, but it's generally-accepted to be poor for rust prevention.)

20. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    My 308 is self-treating for rust prevention. Seriously - it's an Italian car, oil seeping and oil leaks are more than common... and the oil builds up as a greasy residue covering most of the rear chassis.;) Better than any commercial treatment, and free!

Portofino likes this.
  21. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Waxoyl seems popular in the UK where rust can be really challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I'm not a chemist so I will not go into any deep discussion around the actual mechanism. Personally I think that the WD-40 washes away the oil and grease all ready present on the object you want to protect and after a few days the WD-40 evaporates or dry out leaving an unprotected surface sensible to moist / water. Call it hygroscopic or not, the result is the same.

Best, Peter

thorn likes this.
  23. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    My favorite is LPS #3. Liquid spray on wax as far as I can figure, I use it in my shop continuously, Get a part de-rusted then spray with LPS 3#. It seems very similar to the Cosmoline on military weapons that were stored after WWII.

That said, I stumbled on an old SAAB that was Ziebarted. Nasty black stuff everywhere, they even sprayed the engine compartment but, NO RUST which is a real rarity.

Lester

24. trs666

trs666 Karting

Apr 17, 2014
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tommi S.
    I have a habit to spray penetrating Tectyl or Dinitrol rust protection when i open a door panel of fender liner, inside members or what ever in all my cars. Probably irrelevant for the 308 because it does not see winter roads but just feels right thing to do while there. Maybe the Swedish delivered cars were rust protected before delivery, have not seen one spot of rust in the car during 7 years of tinkering all over (and under) it.
    ///TRS