F12 Year models | FerrariChat

F12 Year models

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MichaelSJones, Dec 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MichaelSJones

MichaelSJones Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael Jones
    I’m in search mode for my first Ferrari after many years of admiring from afar. I know that I want an F12 and although I have several specific options I’d live I’ll have to see what is available and then prioritize.

My biggest question is whether there are any real advantages between year models (other than warranty/service period remaining)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    In 2016 there was a software up grade, that’s about the only difference I know of.

On my list was-

Colour outside and inside

Front Lifter

Full ele seats

Carbon inside with rev counter on steering wheel

Upgraded wheels, although I put Superfast wheels on in the end

Hi FI makes a big difference if you are going on a tour/ long journey

x z8, ewright and MichaelSJones like this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Welcome! F12 is the beauty and the beast. Congratulations on your decision. No advantages in model years. I've been an F12 owner since 2014 and know it well.

Primary for me is spec. Both outside and inside. Must be gorgeous spec and how you would have ordered it a real plus. Look for special 3-layer paints that are captivating. Condition is next. Must be immaculate. Professional detailed paint correction with strategic new PPF in front and ceramic on wheels/calipers. No ceramic directly on paint for me. Vehicle must have all parts that came new including covers for seats, steering wheel, gloves, charger, both keys and security card. Service record is next and how it was cared for. Should only be dealer service with extras done along with the oil annual like filters/belts and trans/diff/pwr steering/coolant flush.

Mileage and how it was driven next. Be picky with no bad weather or winter or rain. Look for a cash bought car with continuous warranty from new. Shows they could really afford the car and went for all the service agreements. Mileage should always be on the low side to minimize overall wear but not too low to not be started and run enough to keep very healthy. Lastly buy from an owner, preferably FChat member as the car will be known and do low ball. Most not crazy about selling their baby and you will likely be around with us on the board. Respect the MSRP many have paid. Good luck!

Avia11, day355 and MichaelSJones like this.
  4. MichaelSJones

MichaelSJones Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael Jones
    Thanks very much! Ive seen many cars offered by dealers and not all FAF so it does raise questions as to the history, but I’m so specific in the colors and options that I want it seems that waiting to find that car from an owner could take a long time. I’ve considered going ahead and buying one to begin the journey even if i get only 75% of desired and then being on the lookout for the perfect car.

So is it crazy expensive to put new wheels, brakes/calipers or seats/belts on a car if those are the missing elements? I keep looking for the car that already has all of that the way I want, but just seems something is always missing. I’ve been tempted to just order an 812 GTS because I can dial in all details but frankly I just don’t think that the 812 comes anywhere close to the beauty of the F12.

x z8 likes this.
  5. MichaelSJones

MichaelSJones Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael Jones
    Thanks very much fir the feedback!

6. MichaelSJones

MichaelSJones Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael Jones
    I am curious about one thing - you said no ceramic on the paint so just wondering what your aversion is to ceramic? I’ve had my boat coated with ceramic and just assumed I would do the same with the Ferrari but your comment gives me pause. Thanks!

7. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    Not Comor here. I’d also prefer no ceramic on paint. I see ceramic coatings as great products for ease of maintenance and minimal protection. With enough cars in rotation, my intended use for Ferraris won’t include driving around in the rain. So, I don’t see the ceramic coating trade offs as worth it (difficult to remove, don’t look as great as top waxes).

Solid State and MichaelSJones like this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I took the advice of a long time FChat member. Have found that its easy to spot the ceramic cars. Too shiny and not deep if you have special paint. If it looks like a mirror then you mostly see reflections and not the beauty of the paint. Also see so many DDs on the road with ceramic these days. Its personal preference. Get a detailer to do a great wax application with a quality concourse wax. There are other reasons but its whatever works for you.

MichaelSJones likes this.
  9. MichaelSJones

MichaelSJones Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael Jones
    Makes great sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

10. 2k8SB

2k8SB Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    As others have said 2016 came with software upgrades, along with this the resolution on the two screens either side of the tach are updated and slightly higher res. They look like the screens from the 488 rather than the 458, which is what the pre-16 cars look like. Apple Carplay was also an option on 16 / 17 post this upgrade. I've got a 17 and couldn't be happier with it, good luck with the search, you'll certainly enjoy ownership when you get one.

MichaelSJones likes this.
  11. SlickMurphy

SlickMurphy Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    Is the PTU and gearbox speed sensor an issue with the F12 as it is on an FF and Lusso?

12. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    David, the PTU is a kind of front wheel gearbox which only fits the FF and Lusso as the F12 is rwd.
    Regarding the speed sensor I would say yes as those cars share the same DCT gearbox (even if the gear ratios maybe different)

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Oh I forgot, stop start came in around late 2015 I think, Ferrari call it HELE

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Nasty!

15. 2k8SB

2k8SB Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    My F12 is a 2017 US spec car and no HELE. I agree HELE is a pain, starting my Pista is like firing up the millennium falcon, click for unlocking the door, break pedal, start button, HELE switch in the roof, bumpy road button on the steering wheel, click to turn off auto and put into manual transmission.... can I drive now please :)

Gh21631 likes this.
  16. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    If I remember correctly, HELE was an option for the F12. In more recent years, HELE became mandatory and new cars cannot be specified without.

17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think it was standard in the UK, so I guess Europe as well around late 2015, my early 2016 has it. Maybe the USA was different.

18. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    Right, I think HELE becoming mandatory was a later date for the US.

19. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Would the dealer have updated software at regular service?

20. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Question. ..for fchatters.
    How much would a 2017 with 4500 miles with 405 k msrp.
    price wise.

21. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    No, I dont think so.

22. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Yeah, in Europe and at least in France governement taxes cars up to their CO2 emissions, the HELE/start&stop saves a few g/km so it helps to keep the car "politically correct".
    No need to say mine is disabled all the time...

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think there has also been a change regarding how HELE is working - when it became installed (and by default in Europe) in 2015, it was possible to disable it once and for all; but more recently (I don't know when the change did occur) it's become necessary to deactivate it at each start up.

24. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
  25. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    It’s quite cool and for people who didn’t perhaps know you can find these pictures if you download the My Ferrari App and get your dealer to link you mail to your car.

You the. get ‘My Garage’ which has any productions pics plus Manual in PDF and the full factory spec of your vehicle which is quite handy! Also all the Ferrari assistance numbers in all countries, warranty/service pack status etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk