Are 308 door switches hard to come by? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are 308 door switches hard to come by?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Newman, Dec 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard

Attached Files:

ragtop1, BigTex, waymar and 1 other person like this.
  2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I believe that I will be going this route. Some suppliers, I have noticed, have the nerve to sell one of these for $210.00 and have the audacity to add another $15 for shipping.

Thanks for sharing!

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Are the later cars body color, on the hinge cover plate??

On mine they are black, paint alone could prevent proper grounding and operation???

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    An ah ha! moment....sorry....

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    They were black on my ex-308, too (and don't have any evidence, but can't easily recall seeing another being body color here so must be fairly rare).

Agree, and the thickness on the Poster's body color paint looks particularly thick -- but the broken tang is electrically fatal with only two tangs to give pressure for contact.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Steve, always glad to see your posts..

Merry Christmas!!

Even the raised stamping, to move the switch closer to the door, is different, my panel is a flat, rough cut shape!!
    Lots of parts are on the '76 -77.

7. mauriciocaste

mauriciocaste Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    waymar and miketuason like this.
  8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Option #3 was the only one I could locate last year when I replaced mine. Very stiff springs but they're still working well.

9. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Interesting that each of these options would work as the length of the switches are all different.

10. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The plunger only has to move a small amount once the door makes contact to open the connection. If the plunger was too short it would not open the connection.

11. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
  12. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Pull the switch which controls the driver side light and see if the wire attached is touching the chassis (grounded). 12v goes to the light bulb and ground comes via the switch in your photo.

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- or the wire can be mashed, pinched, chafed somewhere and shorted to ground. Don't like being able to see the wire so near the door opening limit mechanism in the OP's photo nor what looks like something rubbing on the underside of the curved arm.

14. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Cool thanks.
    Steve, I know it’s a crappy picture but where should it run or does it just need to be adjusted in where it sits near the curved arm? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The wire should not be at the door stop, it bundles in with the window power and the stereo speaker, originally in a smooth plastic sleeve if I recall the detail..

The smooth sleeve thru a grommet gives it some movement, to avoid the bulkhead conector used in later cars, 348 etc.

16. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I got two of the silver colored plunger ones in today. They should work just fine, even if the plunger isn't the correct color.

This kind of reminds me of the Corvette restoration world, lots of factory GM replacement parts in the '70s were slightly different from OEM as supplied in the 1950s and 1960s cars. In the '70s, nobody cared if the color or some other detail on a factory service replacement part was different, as long as it worked.

Then along came NCRS with research of original cars and documentation and all of a sudden, you were some sort of lesser human being if your car had 'incorrect" parts on it. LOL And quite a few times, they changed their own call out of what was "original", over the years. Double LOL

Doug