458 - Seat question/advice | FerrariChat

458 Seat question/advice

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by bobbypagos, Dec 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobbypagos

bobbypagos Rookie

Dec 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bobby Pagos
    Hi all, I’m looking to pick up a 458 and doing my research now. This would be my first exotic so I’m trying to figure out the best seat choices out there. I’m a smaller dude 5’8 (probably the only time my shortness has come in handy) and love the look of the racing seats but I imagine that they’re stiff. I like the Daytona’s as well but after that the other seats don’t look as pleasing to my eye (though my butt and back are my greatest concern). I do want to use my car for what it was built to do but honestly I know most of my time with the car will be a couple hours each weekend. Any advice from the seasoned vets would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I have Daytona seats in my 458 Spider and they are comfortable for 2 hour or less drives and I also find they hold me in the seat quite well. I never feel like I am sliding around during spirited driving. I am a couple of inches taller. I have the power seat and column options and they have plenty of adjustability to make my driving position perfect for my needs. I've not tried the racing seats so some else will have to chime in on those.

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Highly personal decision, no right or wrong here. I have the Daytona’s and wife and I spent 10 hour days in them up in the mountains, no problems. I do find I was sliding around a bit in spirited driving, but that was on some very tight, twisty roads. In FL you wouldn’t notice.

But, I like the side rigidity of the racing seats and I found they contour my 5’-11” frame perfectly. I’ll be getting them on my F8 Spider.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm 5'8 and 155 lbs - I had the full electric / heated seats in my 458 and loved them. Very comfortable and good seating position.

I almost bought a 458 that had the CF racing seats in it, but looking back now I think the lack of adjustability and also the lower position could have caused issues for me (I'm super touchy about having my seat just right). Also, the larger side supports on the racing seats were a bit much for a daily driver. It might be something you get used to, but if you want to take your wife out to dinner or for a drive down the coast, I could see where the racing seats might be less romantic. The heated seats were a big hit with all my passengers also. I initially wasn't thrilled with having full electric seats due to the added weight, but in the end I came to love them.

Ray

Spezia and Rexcat458 like this.
  5. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #5 Rexcat458, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    I have the full electric comfort seats in my 2015 458. I did an 18-hour straight drive in them (only petrol stops) last year with no complaints. They were very comfortable! The heated seats were great as well, because it was December and it was chilly all the way home.

I’ve been in a friends 458 with the Daytona seats that were great for the half hour drive to lunch. No idea how they would be on a long haul however, if that makes any difference in your calculations.

Cheers!

Spezia likes this.
  6. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    5'9", 150lbs., with the full electric Daytona seats (RSFE, DAY1) in my 458 Spider and think they are great. Very comfortable. The seat heating is important to me since I pretty much always drive with the top down. The seat memory is also a plus. I have one position stored for ease of entry into the car and another position stored for once I am seated for driving. It's also nice since I'll let my friends drive it and I don't have to worry when they movevthe seat around to get comfortable.

Rob

Spezia likes this.
  7. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have the leather goldrake racing seats and I love the look.

I am 6’ 2” and 170 and the seats fit me perfectly for spirited driving. They hold me like suction cups.

I find them very comfortable and I have mild back issues. Have not taken her for a drive more than 2 hours but we are all built differently.

I test drove one with the sport seats and did not like the feel in the corners during spirited driving.

Good luck! Try to sit in some at a dealer at gn you can! Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    I'm 5'11", 160 lbs and have driven cars with several different seats. The Daytonas felt like I was sitting on a BBQ grill. The standard stitch pattern seats felt hard and uncomfortable. Ditto the diamond stitch, but with even less support. So I looked only for a car with the racing seats AND alcantara inserts until I found one. Best decision I ever made with regard to options. The seats are grippy and comfortable on long drives.

9. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    6 foot and 250 pounds, pulled the heated comfort seats out because I found them very uncomfortable along the thighs. After an hour I just wanted to get out, in fact I almost sold the car. The racing seats actually have more padding along the thigh bolsters and I have done 6 hour drives in total comfort. My seats were recovered and I added heat to them, works great. Would not consider a car without sport seats even though I will never track my 458 spider. I also have arthritis and disc damage at L4, L5 and S1 in my spine and sport seats support me perfectly. I do not recommend changing out seats though. Too expensive and many headaches.

10. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    *race seats, not sport seats.

11. bobbypagos

bobbypagos Rookie

Dec 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bobby Pagos
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to say thank you for all your detailed replies and advice. I really appreciate it.

12. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    Late to the party but I have the race seats and would not consider buying a car without them - it was a must have. 6’1” 210 lbs

13. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    I'm 5-6 and 155 and have the race seats in large. Myself and SO have done 2+ hour drives and no complaints...could it be more comfy? Sure but works for me as most my drives are shorter.

The race seats shave tons of weight from the electric ones

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    6’2” and ~225 lbs.
    I have both types of seats in different cars...both are comfortable. Though the CF racing seats hold your hips firmly in place and for long drives (> 3 hrs without stopping) I find that my hips start to ache.