355 - Liquid leak from the front section | FerrariChat

355 Liquid leak from the front section

Discussion in '348/355' started by evo11, Dec 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
  2. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Most likely either the heater valve (#5), heater core in enclosure or connections of those components as the fluid shown in picture looks like coolant.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    Thanks a lot, have to fift the car up.

Merry Christmas!

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell

If it’s the heater valve, you’ll have to access it from the forward luggage compartment, by removing parts of the liner.

You can’t tell what colour it is or the texture?

Leaks I’ve had up front were due to a leaky brake/clutch reservoir and washer bottle, but assuming you have a left hand drive car, these would be on the left hand side. Other sources of leaks may be power steering and coolant pipework. I also had a loose clip on the coolant pipe which runs from front to rear and was accessed from under the car. A very simple fix once the underbody shield was removed.

5. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You gotta stick your finger in the puddle and then smell it. Then you'll know.

6. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    I second the idea that it could be in the heater valve. Last year when I had the major done on my 355, my mechanic discovered some seepage in one of the brass junctions in this area. Fortunately, there were no significant leaks, just some seepage that discolored the metal. Apparently, if you get a serious leak the front luggage liners and interior carpets get soaked (and ruined), so its best to check it out sooner rather than later.
    If you remove the liners in the front compartment (easy and quick to do), you'll have ready access to all the relevant parts.
    Good luck.

7. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    Edit: I just checked the invoice and saw that on my car it was the pump (part #4 in Kokose7en's post) that was failing. On Ricambi's website, look for Part #70000900.

8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Maybe my eyes are going but I can't detect any tint to the liquid that would indicate engine coolant. When was the car last driven? Could it just be condensate from the A/C?

9. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    Hi guys, I noticed just after driving. I did some test drive 3 days ago. Its 2 degree outside so Im not using a/c or I don't know how stitch it off :(
    I think liquid is a little blue...

10. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Thinking about it now, it could also be your washer fluid leaking. Either the tank itself or part of the circuit. I use BMW coolant and washer fluid for the F355, so in my car both fluids are blue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I didn't realise the early cars had the washer bottle in this location.

@evo11 What year is your car, Evo?

One of the reservoir mounting feet cracked on my car and left a hole in the base of the reservoir. I'm currently waiting for a second hand one (with motor) from Eurospares for my 5.2. The factory didn't have any new ones.

I see Eurospares have a second hand reservoir container (only, no motor) for the 2.7 cars:

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/355-27-motronic/bodywork-lighting/glass-washer-and-horns-41044/62536400

12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    just man up and taste it! :) Probably won’t kill you, coolant and washer fluid are the most likely.

KevZep and 308 GTB like this.
  13. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    Hi Guys, carpets are dry.
    Liquid has dried up. Will let you know when I will lift the car.
    Thank you all for your help I really appreciate

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are you saying the carpet was wet before or are you simply offering another clue?

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    That's what I've been doing for years to diagnose leaks and I'm still alive. :D

A348W likes this.