812 MANUAL BOX | FerrariChat

812 MANUAL BOX

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by ginoBBi512, Dec 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I was wondering if any of you 812 owners would have bought one with a manual gearbox if that was an option, or would any of you other fellows would buy one because you could get it with a manual box.

Thank you,

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The answer is 9 out of 10 folks here will say yes, they would get the manual if it was hypothetically offered.

When the sales report comes in, it will show 9 out of 10 folks choose the DCT.

3. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    Not me. I like and need the current setup. Too much power. I'm not that good at Manual anyways.

4. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    I wonder if it comes down to how much you drive it. For a weekend toy, a manual is admittedly a lot of fun. But if you drive a lot, especially in town and in traffic, then being able to pop it into auto mode is a god send. And, of course, at the other end of the spectrum, at the track it's faster, and you don't risk a money shift.

For me a DCT is now a must-have feature - the performance and convenience are too compelling.

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Thank you gentlemen, I hope I can own a V12 Ferrari at some point in time, and If I was able to choose between an 812 or 575 / 599 with a manual box, I love that 812 so much that I would choose it over the others.

Thank you,

6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I'm old school, 100% on the manual!

ag512bbi likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. The speed and power of that car lends itself much better to DCT. I love a gated car, but thereare situations where it would not add anything. This is one of them. So many aspects of the car would have to be toned down, so it would not work for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

xBox, Bundy, gzachary and 3 others like this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The 812 would be borderline undrivable as a manual. Remember the Chris Harris review of the TdF? Same thing here really. It's not even about being good enough with a stick, it's about what the car was made for.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Themaven, colonels and paulchua like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed. The only thing I would remark is difficult to drive fast is different from undrivable. I get what your saying though! My response is tounge in cheek since manuals have become a panacea. The best drivers in the world have long forgone manuals in the top tiers of competition.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Having owned and driven high HP stick cars, I’d say DCT for the 812. The DCT is just so good in the car.

I daily drive a mustang GT350, and it’s great with stick at 500hp. Having driven cars with 800 wheel horsepower and stick, you really can’t enjoy the car as much. There’s so much focus on the gear shifts, it detracts from the experience for me. You want to try and be quick but smooth on the shifts, while being absolutely sure you are hitting the right gear. Sure rowing your own gears is fun, but the 812 is supremely amazing with the DCT. I’ve been driving stick cars since before I got a driver’s license, so I am very very comfortable driving them.

Caeruleus11, JL350, technom3 and 2 others like this.
  11. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    If the whole package is designed together to work well with a manual, 100%.

In my dream, a lightweight (2800 lbs wet), small (5.0 L), high revs (10k rpm max rev), 6-speed manual Ferrari (front-mid or rear-mid) would be perfect!

Caeruleus11, technom3 and Vance4re like this.
  12. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Since the F12, the engine, the box and the differential all work together as a single unit.

Putting a manual box in the middle of that would be a breach inside an organized system

13. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    This.

technom3 likes this.
  14. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    this is my opinion as well. the joy of driving a manual comes with slower cars. the noise, the building of the power, holding certain gears. 599 GTB has a manual i believe and that was pushing it. now if there was an option to have both with a push of the button then of course!

paulchua likes this.
  15. Vance4re

Vance4re Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2018
    Atlanta,GA
    Full Name:
    Vance
    Just get a 6 speed F430! Haha

The 812 is just too good as is, I wouldn’t change a thing

LVP488 likes this.
  16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Why drive a manual when you can have a DCT which gives all the benefit and none of the hassle. Rowing gears and pushing a clutch pedal doesn't make driving fun for me. I did it for 20 years. Do you also want a am/fm radio with buttons for the channels selectors in there too?

17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Akin to retrofitting prop onto GV. Not that there's anything wrong w/prop, it's great on a P52. Likewise nothing wrong w/manual, as it's great on a Columbo V12.

18. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I cannot imagine what this beast would be like with a manual. It’s a modern race car with modern race car assists.

19. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Manual please. DCT has short gearing and 7 gears, put in a 6 speed manual with medium/tall gearing and it'd be sublime.

I don't get the appeal of tracking 400k supercars. If I'm going to go that route I'd just buy a used formula ford/formula 4 car and just destroy most road cars at a fraction of the cost with no risk to my pride and joy

Bas likes this.
  20. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    funny thing is they tried the all glass controls touchpads on the Range Rover Velar and people hated it since there was no physical feel of a button being pushed in. they added it to the Roma and i fear people will hate it just as much. i much prefer some things to be old school like the buttons and the tach.

ForeverCar likes this.
  21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well I have a 2020 RR AB and it's like that, all touch, I do feel at a loss at times without buttons and dials. The other problem with it is that there is a delay for all those screens to come up and fully function. The auto on-off button is on the vehicle screen but I can't get to that until the main screen initializes so unlike on my 812 where I just reach up and push it off, I have to wait until this one is all ready which can be a block down the road.