Lowering my Pista | FerrariChat

Lowering my Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I decided that at no time in the future was I going to take my Pista off roading so I figured why not make the car not look like a 4x4. I wanted to correct the ride height. It sits high. And there is excessive body roll IMHO.

So today I dropped it off to get Novitec springs and a slight bit of lowering.

Now I could Have kept the factory springs and just lowered a car a bit but then you compress the springs Im told the the ride height suffers.

I didnt have a ruler but rear wheels were about 4 fingers ride height. Front wheels- 3 fingers. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

So we went with Novitec to give the proper stance to the car. I took some crappy iPhone phones today to show how bad the wheel gap is. Why Ferrari cant copy porsche and Mclaren in this regard is beyond me.

Cost is about 3k. I pick up car on Wed of this week. Will post afters and my driving impressions.

D11, IloveGT, Thecadster and 5 others like this.
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    What are you doing for suspension alignment? The specs Robert Mitchell used are pretty darn good for more sporty driving. Might be worth considering since this isn't a daily driver. I tracked my car a couple times and can tell you that it could definitely use some adjustments. I would also suggest Pagid brake pads (RS1 or RS2). Anyhow, beautiful car. I love your spec.

P.S. You need the Kline exhaust and down pipes that I planned to install on mine. :):):)

Caeruleus11 and GT2goneF like this.
  3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Car is undergoing a full alignment after. Don’t want to mess with exhaust or anything else. Just sticking with a slight stance improvement.

Caeruleus11 and Gh21631 like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Pagid no longer offers RSC2 pads for our cars. The RSC1 is very similar to OE T4300 compound, but a wee bit better, but most of all cheaper.

For track you can use the RSL1 which is what imI did.

Now regarding the Mitchell setup. He is making one MASSIVE error in describing his set up - and I have this confirmed with Manthey.
    He states that he set his toe as follows.

One degree in up front and two degrees out in the rear, per side. What they set was millimeters, not degrees. 1 whole degree of toe is absolutely unheard of, and two is just insane.
    Just to make a comparison. Front toe is 5-7 minutes out which is between 0.08 and 0.11 degree. 1 degree is waaaaay into the red and is the equivalent of 60 minutes.
    If you want to copy the Mitchell Pista set up, you need the following toe.

7 minutes in per side up front and 14 minutes out per side rear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    A lot of threads like this as of late! There is one that's current for the 458 as well. Here's mine on a Novitec kit and rear spacers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH, Gh21631, F12london and 4 others like this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Looks really good. And a lot of threads cause Ferrari sucks balls in trying to put a proper stance on a car.

GT2goneF likes this.
  7. 73rs

73rs Rookie

Jun 30, 2020
    Wow that looks amazing!

Sargepug likes this.
  8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Im really liking the Novitecs on my 488. Supposedly the 488 and Pista have same shocks and springs just different roll bar? My 488 leaned a lot on corners. Novitecs and proper ride hight cured this mostly.

I posted my alignment specs and have pics of my car on various posts.

I did not follow Robert Mitchell's toe in on the front. Ferrari specs toe out so I continued with that spec. What works for Robert and on the Nurburgring might not work for me. So I stayed with in stock toe and slightkymore camber and will adjust if needed from there later this year.

My toe specs are with in the stock range...just slightly less toe out that my car came with. .09 degrees/.7mm out front and .15 degrees/1.4mm in on rear per side. My camber is just slightly more than Ferrari specs at -1.3 front and -1.6 rear. at one point it was -1.5 rear or so...alignment machine was flashing around those numbers as adjustments made. So far with 1200 miles on this set-up everything is good.

SoCal to az likes this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I can’t wait to see how your car comes out! I love NR stuff- I have it on my 458. Very well thought out and I think you will love it. Please let us know your driving thoughts as well.

I lowered my Pista ~10mm all around with factory springs and did an alignment very similar to Robert’s with my dealer tech and I am loving the change. Since both are changed its hard to say what contributed to what, but after the change the car was just more fun to drive and felt more eager to rotate. However, I find the Cup2 tires almost never get into their proper operating range (about 120F) on the road. I have my car on winters right now and am having so much more fun because of the tires being in their operating range and also I think the breakaway on the winters is much more progressive than the Cup2 tires. I will be replacing the Cup2 with MPS4S for the summer. Yes I am giving up track performance but I don’t track my cars very often, I’m 99% street driving.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Thecadster, D11, roma1280 and 6 others like this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    You didn’t need to post before pics - we know how high these 4x4s sit. I just don’t get that the Pista would sit as high as my 458.

Keep pics coming! I was gonna say onwards and upwards, but I guess it’s downwards. Lol.

You’re a courageous guy.....and that blue still looks awesome under fluorescent light

Caeruleus11 and SoCal to az like this.
  11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Can't wait to see the final results! Stunning car, but you knew that!

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    For what it's worth, the spring and shock part numbers are different between the 488 and Pista. That doesn't necessarily mean they are actually different parts, but I doubt that Ferrari woudl just relabel the 488 springs as separate Pista part numbers for three reasons:
    1. Ferrari part numbers for other identical parts between the 488 and Pista have the same part number (down pipes for example) -- They don't seem to care to hide the fact that they're the same
    2. They're not charging more for Pista parts so there may not be a good reason to change the part number -- They don't seem to try to make more money off Pista replacement parts that fit 488s
    3. The weight of the Pista is different, and handling + ride quality is an area where I don't expect Ferrari would cut corners and just copy paste (like Novitec tends to do) -- This is generally an area of design that Ferrari cares about

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #14 Il Co-Pilota, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    The 488 and Pista have different shocks, stiffer springs and stiffer sway bars. As per Mario Rill's input. Novi has chosen to use the same spring for the 488, F8 and Pista as their main focus was street driving, not track.

I would stress that the Mitchell toe-in will not have the same effect on the 488 as it does on the Pista, and the 488 does not need it. Part of the Pista twitchyness comes from the super light power steering input as well as the stiffer sway bars. I took my 488 toe out all the way to 30 minutes per side, and all it does is make the steering really heavy. The Pista is totally different in this regard. Ferrari definitely tried to integrate some excitement on the steering set up, and thus it cam lln benefit from getting settled down by running toe in. The F8 is somewhere in between. Not entirely sure where I will go with that once it arrives. Will give it camber and tyres first, then see what is needed.

But for those who think copying the Pista toe-in setup is equally good for a 488, not so. It just gets really sluggish and dead in its steering feel. Between 1 and 1.5 mm toe out seems to work well.

mdrums, Caeruleus11 and SVR like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The springs, dampers and sway bars of a Pista are just different, but not more "special", hence the equal pricing. The damlers are just valved differently and run a different ECU program. They share brake parts, just with different valving, hence why they feel different. You are correct in the fact that Ferrari don't copy and paste, but they do obviously reuse what they can. The 812, TdF, Speciale, F8, Pista and 488 generally shares a lot odf these basic parts, but sometimes with a different tuning etc.

Caeruleus11 and SECRET like this.
  15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Excessive body roll in these cars is a fact. Here’s a shot from a recent drive in my 458, which is not lowered.....not exactly confidence inspiring.

I don’t recall any body roll in my Porsche.

Perhaps we are simply not demanding enough from Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2goneF, mdrums and SoCal to az like this.
  16. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Just a 458 but I hear you on the stance....here’s mine lowered

Attached Files:

17. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Thanks, again just was a question...and something I read. You’d think they’d recalibrate the shocks.

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I felt it in my 488. I feel it in my Pista. Not in my mclaren. Wasn’t in my porsches.

GT2goneF and wthensler like this.
  19. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    lmfao! Had same issue w/ my Maserati MC Cabrio...

20. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    So let’s see. With the 458, I’ve fixed sticky buttons, not one but 2 new exhaust systems with high flow cats, a Mase Tune, radar/laser jammers, and now lowering.....

And of course maintenance, for which I’m a stickler.....

Haven’t been keeping track, but this *****’s starting to add up.

Can’t wait to see what all the F8 is going to need to make it drivable.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    So where are the after pictures!!!!!????

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ahh- springs got delayed. Car has been sitting at the shop. Had a whole photoshoot planned for the weekend. Hopefully getting it back Monday.

23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Sucks. That is why I am buying all first and then will have everything installed at once, whenever it occurs.

24. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Where are you guys finding the best prices on Novitec parts?

Gintani likes this.