What are the other rides in your stables? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What are the other rides in your stables?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, Dec 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 911NBK

911NBK Karting

Jan 2, 2021
    That's a factory 955 or you got that done after wards?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It’s a 916 with a 955 big bore kit. Way back in the early 2000’s all that carbon and carbon exhaust was the cats a$$

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- You could probably put a 599 in the back of that monster.

4. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
  5. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Dave,
    I see a 599 in the cards for you. Fords and Ferraris go well together.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  6. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Agreed.

Attached Files:

Spider68, Davidspop and Patrik550 like this.
  7. Patrik550

Patrik550 Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Patrik
  8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    poljav, VOKS7780, cgt000 and 6 others like this.
  9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    And sorry the last one is sideways. Not sure how to change that.

10. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Eric,

Did you have engine work done by Bob Gromm?

Looks like we are neighbors ...LG resident as well.

-stu

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    456M GTA
    Mondail t Cabriolet
    Maserati Quattroporte
    Tesla S
    Tesla 3
    Toyota Sienna

12. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #63 Ferrari55whoa, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    @losgatos789 Bob Gromm has retired (not sure how long ago) but his business lives on with a really great guy that did the rebuild of my DART 427, his name is Semir Metovic.
    I believe Semir was Bob's apprentice.

One of, if not my best friend is from the former Yugoslavia-region and Semir is also from that region (so I was predisposed to like Semir right out of the gates when we met) but I think he has lived here most of his life and I think he went to high school in this area.

Semir is very detail oriented, just about the right age to keep doing this for a long time (hopefully) and I was very happy with the work he did for me. It was very costly but I feel the value was there and I felt like it is important to support these businesses and "artists". His backlog can be crazy long but you hope and expect to see that from someone that does good work.

I hope to not need that level of work again but if I did I would go back to Semir and Gromm Racing Engines.

Staying on the Los Gatos thread.....It has been frustrating that Canepa stopped the seasonal cars and coffee down in Scotts Valley. I know its been a few years now but I REALLY used to love that meet. His showroom, upstairs museum and the shop access was just insanely unique. Hope they bring it back someday.

losgatos789 likes this.
  13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    plip likes this.
  14. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Tks Eric.

15. losgatos789

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Eric,

You might like this as well as others on this thread:

My last (and final auto build) on a 1971 El Camino; engine built by Bob circa 2002ish

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GAa7FmVBWMDSUHRKA

Youtube video of Bob Gromm, before he contracted Lou Gehrig's disease. I videod this in 2001. Bob performed his head magic on the the Merlin heads (port/polish); full roller cam. Joe, his partner at the time, did his magic on the rotating assembly. 467 with JE pistons:

Back in 2001, Bob and Joe had so much business you actually left your engine there for quite awhile.....it was like a snake of engines winding through both sides of the shop... all taking turns moving one at a time until your engine came up. It took 9 months before I got my engine back....and it was worth it. The video is the test fire after the 9 month wait. I had a 700R4 prepped to handle 700 ft/lbs. The motor was throwing off so much torque at 1000 rpm idle that at stop lights, my foot and calf would get numb mashing down the power brakes.... so I would drop the trans from Drive to Neutral.

I saw Joe about 18 months ago at A&M auto parts....at first I didn't recognize him....Joe told me about Bob's conditions and why he sold the shop. Very sad.

I sold off all my special tools (engine crane, stands, pullers, etc.)....I am kinda done with autos now and exploring different non automotive interests now and former muses.

I have the 2001 456M GT now (since 2014), and there isn't anything that needs to be done to it except for routine maintenance. The 456M was originally sold by Ferrari of Los Gatos. I am the third owner and purchased this from a gentleman here on FChat out of New Orleans.

Nice set of toys you have there.

-stu

16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @losgatos789 When he blips the throttle on that, in my mind I see bald eagles and the American flag in my mind! That's awesome! I hate to say it but Semir had my engine longer than your experience....but as you noted, also worth it. Really appreciate you sharing. When we get past COVID hopefully we will have some good car meet ups to see everyone in person.

17. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Darius, does the merc often get sideways ?

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Love that..especially the SV! Red suits Lamborghini's so well.
    Loving the E38! 740i? The 99-2001 facelift really is perfection. Best proportioned 4 door around, still.

Good god...Perfection all the way. Big fan of all these. Pics please!

That's just fantastic. Superb.

19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #70 Ferrari55whoa, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    @losgatos789 Stu, since you showed your Gromm Racing it’s only fair I follow....:cool:.....when Semir put my DART 427 on the “lie detector” he didn’t use my larger exhaust or valve covers but here was the “first rip”.....

hopefully the YouTube link will work....601 bald eagles!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

losgatos789 likes this.
  20. losgatos789

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Screamin' Dart! That quickens my pulse ...where's my blood pressure meds!

That's a real nice torque curve down low to 6700. Semir added a dyno to the shop? That wasn't there when Bob was there.

I think I met Semir about 6 months after he purchased Bob's shop. I stopped by to say hello and he told me Bob had sold to him.

I sold my El Caminio sans motor when I lived in North San Diego for 4 years...thought I might keep the engine and put it into a 66/67 Chevelle and would have Gromm freshen up the motor when I moved back to town.... I used to go Escondido in North County San Diego where they had a weekly car / 1960's theme at Crusin' Grand; closed down 3 or 4 blocks and people would cruise with uncorked headers....and supported by Escondido...1960's / early 70's bands playing Beach Boys, "soda jerks" dispensing ice cream sodas....that was real nice.

You ever visit Chevelles.com?

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Haha! It is a muscle car at heart. More sideways when it had its P Zeroes, less now with its MPS4Ss. My only annoyance is that it doesn’t have a limited slip diff.

22. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
  23. VOKS7780

VOKS7780 Karting

Apr 2, 2020
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    VIC OVASAPYAN
    Don't you love those 997.1 TT's? Very fun cars to drive and dependable cars to own. I don't think I'll ever get rid of mine, ever.

24. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies