How to keep 458 battery charged without a power point? | FerrariChat

How to keep 458 battery charged without a power point?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mjbcswitzerland, Aug 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Hi All

I need to leave the 458 in a (secure but remote) location for a number of weeks. BUT there is no power available (due to insurance reasons at the location no power points are allowed).

So I am wondering what to do since I know that after 7 days Ferrari advise keeping the charger connected. After 14 days I have been told that the battery will probably be discharged.

Should I disconnect the battery (is it easy, safe, causes no problems later)? According to the user's manual that I have read from cover to cover I had the impression that the battery should not be disconnected and only touched by Ferrari.

Another I idea I had was to buy another battery and an inverter. If the other battery is fully charged and supplies the inverter (a 300W 12V/220V AC one as used by campers etc.) which then feeds the "battery conditioner" it would presumably keep the car battery charged for around a month (since 2 x battery power is available).

Am I being too cautious and could just pull the plug? Has the inverter idea been used by others with success?

Regards

Mark

P.S. Or could I just connect two or three charged batteries in parallel (without risk of damage) to increase the period before failure?
    If the battery goes flat I won't be able to get away again later, which is rather worrying....

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Personnally I would disconnect the battery (I really miss the switch that was available on older Ferrari - up to the 599 I believe - to switch off).
    The 458 owners manual in french says it's possible to disconnect the battery when the charger cannot be connected; what they advise to do before is:
    - deactivate the alarm with the remote control
    - do not unplug the battery while the engine is running (!)
    - slightly move down the windows (I think you'll get the wished result if you unplug the battery while the doors are open)
    According to the manual the battery should be disconnected on the left side (I suppose it should be the "minus" side").

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #3 Melvok, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F485 and SVR like this.
  4. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is there some natural light where the car is being stored?

If so get a plug in solar top up charger?

Regards

Michael

docf likes this.
  5. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Michael

I do like this idea.

Will have to see - I know that there are windows but do not yet know how far away.
    I wonder whether it would keep the battery charged or just slow down its discharging?

Regards

Mark

6. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Mel

Disconnecting looks easy.
    I'll read the manual again and also follow the advice of LVP488 (window position a very good point to avoid risk of damaging rubber seals), plus contact my dealer to check that they agree that it will not cause warranty issues.

In the meantime I just remembered I haven't driven for the last 9 days so will drive tomorrow to charge the battery the more enjoyable way!

Regards

Mark

7. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It should keep it charged. I think it would be fairly easy to extend the cable on the device by cutting the cirs and Splicing in a new length of cable so you can get the solar cell near to the daylight

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    I have an external battery used for outdoor camping light etc ... and I can connect this battery to my 458 using battery conditioner.

9. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    You can fix all this by getting an AntiGravity battery. Yea they are expensive but this will eliminate this problem 100%. I’m a dealer for them and they work. I have a video somewhere that shows how the included wireless remote will even jump start you if it happens to get low. Pretty cool tech.

pdxjim488 and TR007 like this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    In this situation, the AntiGravity 60ah is a good solution. Easy and with little fafing about. Just remember to also order thei CTek li-ion charger and an adapter from Ebay.

11. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    The solar panel is the way to go. They come in several different sizes, with different output amps.
    My buddy uses one to keep his boat battery charged from September-May, when it’s not being used.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Lithium Ion Power Station. I live in condo with no access to power at parking spot. A 600wh pack will give me about 2 days of power to trickle charger, I charge once per week.

I recently upgraded to a 1500wh pack, I figure it'll give me about 2 weeks between charging.

Disconnecting battery (at least in F430) means a 15 minute re-learn procedure, so disconnecting battery not a good option for me unless I'm putting away for winter

13. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    i keep learning from you Melvok

Melvok likes this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Also follow the 2 threads of which you see the blue link below: YOLO and DIY !

Image Unavailable, Please Login

xBox and F485 like this.
  15. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I have an AG battery in my M3. I used to have issues with the battery going dead but not anymore. They're definitely expensive but are a much better (and lighter) battery. They even come with internal software that prevents the battery from going completely dead. If it gets below a certain charge point it'll stop providing current to the car. Press a button on the provided remote and the battery "wakes" up and allows for the car to be started back up.

But the battery itself is just better. So I haven't even run into the problem of the battery going dead anyway.