Is my clutch full after changing fluid. Concerned...should I be? | FerrariChat

Is my clutch full after changing fluid. Concerned...should I be?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by LivingthedreamBAB, Jan 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Originally posted in the 458 section but zero responses so thought I would try here since I know many of those with challenge cars do their own work.

Changed the hydraulic clutch fluid with Shell DTC F-3 on my 458 as it’s now 10 years old. Pulled the drain plug and a lot came out in the first 5-10 seconds and slowed to a dribble after about 20 seconds. Let sit and drain for about 10 minutes till no more was coming out. (Yes I killed the correct plug and not the gear box fluid plug)

My concern is that I filled it to the top of the level pipe with 5.5 liters and then did the level check as the shop manual says (start, let idle to normal idle speed, keep foot on brake and shift to reverse, check level) so as said before I was only able to get about 5.5 liters in it before it overflowed the level pipe.

Question is....should I be concerned that it only took 5.5 liters vs the 8 liters capacity? I can understand it taking maybe 1 liter less than full capacity but 2.5 liters less has me concerned.

As always, very much appreciate your help

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    so....what we typically do is catch what comes out and measure the volume....allows us to get pretty close on the refill. We started doing this after our first oil change, where we refilled to specifications and it turned out to be significantly over filled.

Hope that helps.

Simon^2 likes this.
  3. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Got a reply on the raving section as I posted there given there were no responses here as they likely change their fluid at least annually. Long story short, should only be able to get about 5 liters out even though it holds 8 liters. So I should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat