Gut Check - Do these look OEM for 308 QV | FerrariChat

Gut Check - Do these look OEM for 308 QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by SeanPeterLynch, Jan 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't know the Seller, but why do you want a set of (painted and skim-cut?) 390mm wheels for $2K? Doesn't seem like a deal to me (and looks like a lot of the cast radii have been cut off). JMO.

2. SeanPeterLynch

SeanPeterLynch Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    What are skim cut? Thanks for quick response. Arent the 308 wheels painted? I thought the OEM go for a lot more. Could paint single color.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    TRX wheels? I have given sets away for free.

ragtop1 likes this.
  4. SeanPeterLynch

SeanPeterLynch Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    Objective is literally just to backfill OEM QV wheels for my 83 308. Have some wear on mine. I guess i could just have mine repaired.

5. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Nothing wrong with that. As long as they are not TRX wheels.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    16" OEM 308QV wheels go for a lot more. 390mm OEM 308QV wheels are much less desirable as Brian indicated.

To me, it looks like the whole wheel was painted the dark color, and then the silver areas were machined to expose the underlying material (and then probably coated with clear lacquer). I may be wrong, but the edges between the silver and dark area look too "sharp" -- usually, there's a radius there from the casting process. Even if they are just painted with two colors, a set of 390mm wheel needing to be repainted to the stock color is even less desirable than set of 390mm wheels in the stock color. If you've got 390mm TRX wheels now, nothing wrong with getting another set -- but not at a price of $2K. IMO, it would be a much better value to buy a set of the 16" aluminum reproduction 308QV wheels for less than $2K if you don't want to spend the big bucks for a set of the 16" OEM.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Everything Steve said is true plus..... TRX tires are very spotty in availability. They are produced in small batches intermittantly. When you need them they are often not available and the wait for availability can be long. Additionally they are typically very expensive for a tire that was considered the be "Just OK" even by the standards of 1983. Tire technology now is vastly ahead of that and far less expensive, readily available 16 inch tires easily outperform TRX's.

I have put the aftermarket 16 inch copies of the OEM wheels on several TRX equipped cars and every single client has been grateful for the upgrade.

mwr4440 likes this.
  10. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    LoL, me too: 30 years ago I put aftermarket Enkei (or Epsilon?) 16" basket weaves on a 308 GTS. The buyer was not interested in another set of wheels (I said, "don't you want to have the originals for the car?) Like Rifledriver said, I ended up giving the buyer the TRX wheels for free... after the sale.

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have a BMW wheel doing the same exact thing!

ragtop1 likes this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  13. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    TRX wheels and tires have been bringing money for years. Agree with utility comments but there are buyers now. Even age cracked but well treaded TRX tires will bring money.

14. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I disagree that the rims are bringing money with any regularity. I have two TRX rims left with terrible tires. If anyone comes by and picks them up, they can have them. To those who already got one of my TRX rims, no you may not bring them back. Stop asking.
    I gave the best rim/tire to someone with a Mustang SVO who wanted the tire and probably threw the rim away. Until then I didn't know any American cars came with metric wheels.

15. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Just to add to this, I’ve had a lot of fun over the years burning magnesium Ferrari wheels, lights up the dark like Jesus

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What would you charge me to ship me one?

Not joking. I want it as an art piece in my mancave.