812SF being discontinued? | FerrariChat

812SF being discontinued?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Ngcanada, Feb 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    So as some of you know, I have been dreaming about moving from the 458 Italia 2015 which I adore to a 2019/2020 812SF. I am zeroing in on one I found at a Ferrari dealer and in speaking with them, all allocations for 812SF have been fulfilled and are no longer able to do so. Basically, only the GTS is available but the coupe is done. Are you gentlemen hearing the same. If so, this may be the catalyst I need to go and sign the papers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I have heard the same. No more SF’s coming. But there are others here that have better inside tracks than me

3. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Production for SF has been stopped beginning of Q4 last year.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

350MH83 likes this.
  4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    As @phanliu said, production is over since august 2020

5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    812SF (coupe) allocations stopped at some point (worldwide) last summer or late spring, it can no longer be ordered.

6. nonbita

nonbita Rookie

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Non
    There will be a few SF production in 2021 but all allocations should have been fulfilled.

456-boy and ForeverCar like this.
  7. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    I was just trying to find out why the introduction of the Purosangue takes so long and by coincidence became aware of the fact that the 812 has already been taken out of production in 2020. What seems a bit strange is that Ferrari had the policy during the last decades to renew models after about 5 years and keeping the platform the same for 2 models (e.g., FF - GTC4Lusso, F12 - 812, 458 - 488). The production of the GTC4Lusso and the 812 have been ended in 2020 and moreover, the 812 has only been in production for 3 years, suggesting that it hasn't been the success Ferrari has hoped for. In addition, no (direct) successors have been announced for the GTC4Lusso and the 812 since 2020, which makes you wonder. Combining this info with the delay of the Purosangue it makes me think that changing markets have forced Ferrari to rethink their strategy very recently. I guess that we will not see a 6-liter V12 again in their regular models and that the Purosangue will only be available as a hybrid and maybe in a fully electric version as well (or at least I can imagine that they have decided very lately to make the Purosangue platform suitable for full EV). This could explain the delay. I wonder whether Ferrari will go for smaller V12s in combination with turbo- or supercharging. Remember that their first V12s were 2-liter. Their very first V12 was even 1,5-liter and was combined with a supercharger in their F1 car. We'll see...

8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    SF90, who is already on the market since almost two years, is the 812SF replacement. The new Lusso is the Purosangue, that will be introduced this year.

In my opinion the V12 will survive be only on the Icona and hypercars: V6 and V8 hybrid for the others, but let's see what's happen.

Ciao

Gianfranco341 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    @day355 has already told all of that there is an 812 replacement, F167, in the works. He has already told us the final design has been signed off and the only main question is the exact power plant pending the Euro7 rules being finalized.
    I don’t think there is any debate about this, there is an 812 replacement on the way.

dcmetro, ScrappyB and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Day355 does have a lot of insider info, I saw this in person and I can confirm it, so ok there will be a new 812 . This said, I don't believe it will have a V12. I hope it will have a combustion engine (that would be a great achievement, considering what's happening), but the oldest engine is the V12 and in my opinion they cannot afford to develop three different engines: I think only V6 and V8 hybrid on production cars and V12 only on limited production ones, where they can skip the emission rulements due to the very low production numbers.

But I hope to be wrong, as I like the V12.

ciao

11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I find it hard to imagine a scenario where the only way to order a V12 in a regular production model is via the SUV. I therefore expect their next top GT model (F167) will also have a hybrid V12 (6.5L is my guess).

12. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    If this turns out to be true, then the F167 will be much heavier than the 812 which is already not exactly a lightweight. To make a hybrid feasible it'll have to be mated to a much smaller capacity engine both for weight and packaging reasons. I'm guessing it'll be a much smaller V12 mated to a plug-in hybrid with about 900HP.

13. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Caeruleus11, KenU, 430jm and 5 others like this.
  14. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    I'm not sure where I read this but I believe there were about 5000 Superfasts, 1000 of which are in the USA

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Ferrari have been working on a 4L V12 with assistance for a few years now. High revving as well.

If they can put it in production is another matter with all the new regs!

16. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Interesting that there are only 1000 Superfast's in the US. I hardly ever drive mine and am thinking of selling it while things are hot. I like the 296 and would be interested in the upcoming GTS but it just seems too much money for what it seems to be. My 458 Spider will have to do for now.

17. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    My GTS is taking the same path ;)

Bundy, Lagunae92 and italiafan like this.
  18. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The GTS run will go through at least 2022, maybe even 2023 - which makes five years of 812 production.

The 812 is a success by every Ferrari metric.

Caeruleus11 and Bas like this.
  19. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Roughly 2 years pre GPF for the SF. The purest V12, in my opinion. And the reason why mine will never be sold!

20. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Agreed. I love my pre-GPF 812 and will probably hold on to it long after m GTS is gone (and the GTS hasn't even arrived LOL)

abdulla.alhajri and KenU like this.