355 5.2 OBD codes: 0422,0432,0153,1121 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

355 5.2 OBD codes: 0422,0432,0153,1121

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Dec 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Agreed but if you have exhaust leaks and the sensors pre and post cat are functioning you are going to get codes due to them sensing a lean mixture.

Carmellini likes this.
  2. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Maybe there is a trick to installing the exhaust? I have leaks everywhere I put my fingerprints. All three of the exhaust connections are leaking along with the four fittings at the header Y. Not sure where to start? Loosen everything up and retighten? The donuts "look" good......not sure what that means. Assume those are consumables? Also, should I replace the O rings at the bypass valve? They are $100. each...

3. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Pretty sure I mentioned something about sealer?

4. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    I used exhaust sealer at the slip joint of the new rear flange, should I have used sealer on the donuts and the O rings? I can see at one of the forward joints the donut is cocked. When tightening each fitting I was careful to gradually tighten each one a little at a time.

Should I start from the front and work towards the rear, or rear to front?

5. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Sealer on every joint. It just offers a a sealed joint. Rear to front/front back it won't

6. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    #131 Carmellini, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Data sheet for sealant does not recommend using on gaskets, donuts, and o ring joints.

Could I have compromised the donuts?

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't know what sealant you have but nothing on a Ferrari exhaust should require sealant.

WATSON likes this.
  8. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Sorry John but I disagree with you on this one. I don't know of to many cars that don't develop exhaust leaks without some sort of sealer. Maybe they didn't need it new but after its been assembled and disassembled there are going to be leaks. Age has a bit to do with it also. Anyways that's just one opinion I'm sure there are pro's and con's to this argument.

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That's fine. The system was design for dry fitting. Anyone can do as they please. The OPs problem is due to having test pipes and trying to fool the ECU that cats are in place. In his case it is possible that a small leak up stream could negate the effect of the mini cat extensions for the rear O2 sensors. If it were my car I'd put high flow cat on a ditch the test pipes which would most likely solve the problem.

WATSON likes this.
  10. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Previous posts of the OP state that after a smoke test multiple leaks were detected. These leaks are not going to help the ecu read what's happening in the catalyst system. If he can eliminate the leaks this will assist in the finding why the car is producing CEL. All I'm suggesting is help in fixing the leaks then he can move his post cat sensors in or out to find a happy/medium voltage.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #136 johnk..., Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Agreed Paul, fix the leaks, but nothing up stream of the cats (or test pipes) should require sealant. They are all compression donuts. If they leak it's the way they were assembled or perhaps the flares on the test pipes aren't correct.

Beetle likes this.
  12. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Mine sucked smoke in/out at the thermocouple compression fitting. Fixed the leak no more CEL. These cars are made to test us.

13. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Ain't that the truth...LOL. Good news, no more leaks!

Main issue for me was tightening the rear connections first; This did not allow me any forgiveness at the header donuts and they were way off. Today I started with the header donuts and made sure they were properly lined up FIRST. Tested those pipes and then moved on to the rear ones. It was a bit comical to see how far off I was with the flanges against the donuts...........I have never owned a car that didn't like to test me.......LOL....., wasn't going to be defeated with this one....

I agree with both of you, regarding sealant: The donuts are designed for dry install and that is how I did mine. However, I have always used an exhaust sealant when a slip joint is present. I put sealant on the male portion of the bypass pipe and slid the new Hill flange over it.

The design of the hardware suggests that they can't be overtighten?

14. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The exhaust gas does not have positive pressure all the time but it has brief periods during the engine cycle when it is under certain vacuum. In properly designed exhaust system, this vacuum is used to help scavenging of the exhaust gasses from the cylinders. This phenomenon is also used on the 348 for air "injection" which is actually suction of external air by the exhaust, controlled by the check valves which are closed during the exhaust pressure phase and they open during the suction (vacuum) phase to let fresh air into the exhaust. This is a typical graph of the pressure and vacuum phases of an engine:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting, thanks, Miro. Does the graph show the sum of the pressures (i.e. at the confluence of the 4 exhaust streams or just the pressure at the cylinder exhaust port?). I'm wondering how much the cat would damp the pronounced pressure fluctuations (assuming Carmellini didn't have test pipes).

Ah, I forgot the 348 doesn't have a secondary air pump like the 355. I can't recall if the secondary air system was checked for leaks. Even if the pump were to be turned off by the ECU, if there was a secondary air leak (on the upstream side of the check valves) the cylinder vacuum might be drawing unwanted air into the system.

Beetle likes this.
  16. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I believe that the graph shows pressure/vacuum ("+/-") at one individual cylinder and its exhaust port / manifold branch. When tuned exhausts are designed, care is taken that when these pulses are summed (from different cylinders) downstream, they don't clash "+" from one with "+" from another cylinder but the pulses are summed like train carriages pulling each other down the exhaust pipe. After summing, there are obviously still some suction phases as Paul reported that he had smoke in/out at the Thermocouple compression fitting.

Beetle and Qavion like this.
  17. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Hense my statement regarding total exhaust be leak free. From what has been explained to me through this thread the ecu has a small window of voltage operation window without eliminating the CEL. One thing to help code issues is to eliminate exhaust leaks. While at low engine speeds the exhaust pulses maybe evident but as eng speed increases the pulses of blowing/sucking maybe harder to evaluate.

18. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    UPDATE: no more 0422/0432 codes. In addition to fixing a number of small exhaust leaks, (smoke tester is my new favorite tool...lol), I read a number of internet threads about best way to stuff O2 extensions with steel wool. I used a coarse grade #3 stainless steel wool, cut into a 1" square and packed it into the sensor end of the 90' extension. Next, I made sure that the steel wool was in contact with the O2 sensor tip. Voila....no more cat inefficiency codes. Wish I could report which of these two remedies solve my codes, but the combination was like a one, two knock out punch.

19. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    You can report which one worked by doing one thing at a time.
    You will know for sure it's fixed after a few good drives. Pays to check for pending codes with the scanner along with watching the sensors live as previously mentioned.

20. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Will do. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help