430 - Engine side cover bolts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Engine side cover bolts

Discussion in '360/430' started by c6vette, Apr 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Buy yourself one of these and you will be pretty much all set for the entire car for removing panels.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/113+piece+tamper+proof+bit+set.do?code=PPCPLG&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl_TNvOPU6gIV8gl9Ch3xZwSNEAYYASABEgILsvD_BwE

Note that I have no affiliation to Griots Garage.

Also, those bolts are too soft and they will strip if left undisturbed for along time.

I replaced mine with Stainless Steel hex bolts. Not only they are stronger and will not strip but also they wont rust.

You can go to your local screw and bolt store to find them and they are inexpensive.

For fluids follow the owners manual and workshop manual or do a search for latest fluids on what the other members used as there are options.

Hope that helps.

Dan

flash32 and Matt1984 like this.
  2. Matt1984

Matt1984 Rookie

Jul 17, 2020
    jupiter, florida
    Full Name:
    matthew goodrich
    thanks i just ordered it need to know what size are the bolts on the side so i can extra bolts some are long some are short. i want to order some not sure what size to order for side compartment

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The bolt heads use the same hex key.
    However the bolt lengths varies depending on location on the panel so you will just have to remove them first to determine lengths, then buy stainless steel bolts to matching lengths then replace them.

4. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    FWIW, I replaced the engine side panel hardware on my 360 with black, stainless button bolts from www.accu.co.uk. I was able to get the necessary bolts in the two sizes that are used on these panels. I was also able to get black stainless washers as well.

Hardware costs and shipping were quite reasonable

flash32 and whatheheck like this.
  5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great info.

Thanks for sharing Jim.

Dan

6. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You're welcome.

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks. Size and thread?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    +1 for knowing size and thread. I’d love to replace all of mine too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Top(4): M5 x 16mm
    Bottom(4): M5 x 20mm
    M5 25 mm flat washers
    M5 Belleville Washers
    All with black finish.

Ray Smith, whatheheck and Need4Spd like this.
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. PAUROSO

PAUROSO Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roland H Shaak
    DEAD ON McMaster
    92137A531. Alloy steel flanged button head screws, black oxide, M6 x 1.00mm thread 16mm One pack = 24 ea $ close to 30 bucks each bag

spider folk like me ya need same as above and 5mm for low on the shields, substitute M5 x 0.80mm 16mm one pack = 24 ea. P/N 92137A420

I just ordered the above in a 14mm (6mm) I notice a modicum of resistance from the 14mm on bolts closest to rear lights one each side only noticed resistance on drivers side score 100 ea. $30 ish

WASHERS:
    google M6 x 20mm penny washers-black stainless steel 1mm thick Part number HWY-M6-20-A2-BL. These folks roll ya a 100 perfect washers. Takes couple weeks but perfect. From UK. Excellent

Need4Spd and whatheheck like this.
  12. PAUROSO

PAUROSO Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roland H Shaak
    Guess I’ll get “correct” lengths. The ones I bought work great as is. However I will look into those sizes listed above, my parts book is not for a spider. It shows all the same p/n if I remember correctly

these screws all work sweet with the exception of one of two by rear light very minor interference

get new or grind #3_4mm hex wrenches Ball ends can gall a socket. A nice shorty l shaped 4mm is a nice one for two places. Beats a Drexel tool extraction

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing!

Dan

14. Yesitsfast

Yesitsfast Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    Read all the below info and sizes. A bit confused.

Have a ‘08 F430 spider looking to replace all engine bay cover bolts and washers. Either with the “ black nitride finish” or titanium.

Found a co Gensii on line had titanium called them however, no longer manufacture them. Can someone list here for me the quantity of each and exact mm size bolts i need. I understand McMaster is a good source. Would like to order but confused with sizes stated above if placing an order.

Much appreciated!!!

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    These sort of screws are sized by thread and length. eg a M4x 60. is M4 thread with a thread length of 60 mm, measured from under the head to the end ( it is not the overall length)

16. Yesitsfast

Yesitsfast Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    Appreciate the info on how to measure but really looking for the amount and exact sizes that can be ordered to replace all the bolts and washers that hold the engine bay covers in place.

Thx