Help with decodeing the vin | FerrariChat

Help with decodeing the vin

Discussion in '308/328' started by troubledz, Mar 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. troubledz

troubledz Karting

Jan 29, 2021
    Toronto,Ontario
    Full Name:
    DINO LAMANNA
    Hi All,
    I am new to this site and I am lucky enough to have just bought a 1980 308GTSI.
    This may be a stupid question but is there any way of finding out from the Vin number any details of my 308. Items such as Paint code and interior colour. I have tried the search engine, Google and i called the Local Ferrari Dealer with no luck. .
    The car I bought was painted Red and it was a pretty good job (the first of many paint jobs), must have been done very close to when the car was new because it was stripped right down, But over the years it must have been painted a few times by the $299 Macco paint job!
    I know that the original color looks to be a light blue and it looks like it had a deep red interior.
    There are no paint code stickers or plates.
    Is there a site I can even pay to get this? Or to provide me with the info i need?
    The chassis number is ZFFAA02AXA0033663
    Thanks Dean

2. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
  3. troubledz

troubledz Karting

Jan 29, 2021
    Toronto,Ontario
    Full Name:
    DINO LAMANNA
    Thank you Nicolas21,
    Iknow most of that I am trying to firgure out the paint code.
    Cheers,

4. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    You can ask to @TripleBlack, he may have the answer ;)

5. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    “Ford radiant red” is near perfect for the F rosso corsa red paint stone chips.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The paint code is not encoded in the VIN, I think that's your original question.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Unfortunately, as said by Brian above, the answer is No.
    But you might get lucky by asking on a site like this one, as someone might have collected information on your car earlier in its life, but don't count too much on it...it might be in Matthias Urban's register also.

Rgds

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome & enjoy

If you are very lucky registering your car at myFerrari might eventually show the original colors for free - otherwise an email to customer service at the factory may yield the answer or offer to pay them for a certificate (used to be about a thousand bucks) or if you are feeling really rich try to get your car Classiche certified (five thousand bucks plus correction costs approx)

Don't forget that every question you may have has probably been asked here and usually answered previously so its always worth looking

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    True. We might also add, as has been said many times before also, that if the O.P has reasons to believe that the car is not in its original color nowadays, most of the times (not "always") that original color might (just "might"...) be found in the places that are very difficult to strip and reach for painting, such as the inside of the doors...

Rgds

ferrariowner and Pero like this.
  10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    My car had a color change and I see the original color whenever I do chassis work. The insides of doors got resprayed so they don't tell, but I removed the horn recently and the bracket is the original color under the bolt. The undercoat is worn under the fender liner bolts and shows the original color. Under the carpets has over spray of the original color. Walking around the car you'd likely never know, but I think as soon as you started working on the car you'd realize it.

I once told someone who noticed a little red spot on my car that all Ferraris are painted red first because all Ferraris are red and that's what Enzo wanted. Then the best cars are carefully selected and painted yellow before they leave the factory. I don't think he believed me.

11. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    You should remove easly some interior's parts as the console lid for example. I don't think many people remove all interior when they repainted the car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login