What to do with chromed 328 wheels | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What to do with chromed 328 wheels

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dave Bertrand, Mar 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I think your car looks fantastic as is, but I would prefer the painted wheels over chrome.

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #27 moysiuan, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Since they are already plated, may as well have them plated further in gold!

It does not seem too pricey to have the plating removed. http://www.atlaschrome.com/deplating.html

When repainting, I think there is a special primer required for these wheels if taken down to bare metal, and then painted and clear coated. The OEM primer under the silver paint is a light green colour, probably some sort of etching primer. Some people powder coat, but I would suggest paint as an old wheel can fracture and a hairline crack won't show under a powder coat. Powder coating will also eventually flake, while once redfinished in paint properly, repainting in the future would not require more than touch ups or a mild sand/scuff and respray.

3. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Very good advice, thanks.

4. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Yeah, $85 per wheel to strip to bare metal isn't bad at all. I know of a chrome plater in Denver where I think I can get them done. From my research though, once the bare metal is exposed it needs to be primed within hours as the magnesium oxidizes very quickly.

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The alloy is not magnesium, Ferrari never used magnesium wheels on street cars. It is some sort of mostly aluminum alloy, might have a little magnesium in there. Most refinisher tips suggest to never remove the old paint and primer, best to sand it down and refinish without disturbing the base coatings. Not an option in your case, but for posterity if others come accross this thread.

Here is an old thread on refinishing to bare metal which is has the key tips on how to do it so it lasts.

https://stevekouracos.com/restoration/tips-and-tricks/aluminum-magnesium-wheel-restoration/

6. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Now that's interesting. I'm glad to hear they're aluminum, though my searching on this site turned up at least a dozen past threads on wheel refinishing where everyone's talking about how the wheels are a magnesium alloy, they need special treatment, yada yada yada.

Were the OEM alloy wheels forged or cast?

7. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Just for kicks I might try painting the centers and leaving the rim exposed chrome. Maybe it would look like a very polished rim on a stock wheel?

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
  9. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Just to correct that I don’t think this is true. Magnesium alloy wheels were definitely used up to the 308. I’ve spoken in the past to the original foundry who cast the speedline MAGNESIUM alloy 308 wheels

BigTex likes this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Keep up your research and talk to local venders.

As every one has pointed out the chroming was a bad idea, but these original castings are very valuable as they get rare..

So Factory paint is the goal, the question is "how to get there" and only the guy stripping the chrome will be able to advise you "what's underneath",, you are also sorrect thet stripping to bare metal is a very serious situation and the proper Zinc Chromate primer needs to go on asap

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lots of discussion precviously but OEM rims of the 70s are a "high magnesium aluminum alloy mix"....I donlt think they will burn, like racing castings but they are special wheels.

Like the gearboxes of the day they take an aircraft spec finish to be stable.

12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    These rims contents a fair amount of magnesium and must be treated accordingly. Plastic coating is a no no and primer most be feasible for magnesium alloy. Use zinc chromat primer or Dow aviation type primer or at least a high quality aluminium acid primer before applying next layer of pre-lack primer. Many restores try to maintain the original Dow system primer (the green stuff) because it is difficult to find (very toxic) but that’s obviously not an option with chromed wheels.
    Best Peter

13. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Was recently at a powder coater in Denver (sold him a welder). He said he had experience powder coating Ferrari wheels and will do mag alloy wheels. Not sure how the existing chrome plating will factor in — maybe will require stripping or just a light media blasting to add tooth. Here is his info:
    https://blueflamepowder.com/

14. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    But everything I've read says that powder coating mag wheels is a recipe for disaster. Something about the high temp baking that causes problems with the magnesium and ultimately ruins the finish. I can't remember the details.

15. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    He said only a short time needed near 400F to bake. I did not inquire further re his process. Don’t know if he preheats, etc. I also don’t know Mg content of our wheels. Guess they have significant amount though b/c they feel light. Probably worth a call since business is close to you. Nice set up w 3 gas fired ovens. Owner’s name is Chris Taylor. I’m sure he will remember me because we spent a lot of time talking cars.

Dave Bertrand likes this.
  16. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I’ve done it with minimal trouble, one wheel had to be done twice due to bubbles

17. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    If you think chrome is hard to remove, just wait til you try removing powder coating!

Given how unlikely it is now for someone else to chrome these types of wheels, I would leave them chrome and have something very unique. Probably look their best on the black car that you have.

I would be tempted to buy them, as I have the 1988 Mondial with ABS and I think are the same offsets, so they would likely fit my car. But my car is red, with no chrome other than the door handles, so not sure it would be the right look.

18. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    That name rings a bell. I'm also involved with the Porsche crowd here so that may be where I heard it. I'll call for his advice. If they can be powder coated that would be terrific.

19. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    As luck would have it, I bought a full set of wheels on ebay this morning (what fortunate timing) that have been repainted but are suffering from some clear coat cracking. I'll probably strip and refinish those, and keep the chrome ones the way they are. I can always decide to refinish the chrome later. I only had to pay $2200 for the ebay set, with 30 days to return them for any reason, so I jumped on them.

moysiuan likes this.
  20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Finding new wheels is very difficult. Take them to a qualified shop and have them refinished. Not a big deal.

21. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Exactly my plan.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  22. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I jumped the gun and offered a set of wheels via the conversation link. Looks like you solved your problem.

23. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Well, problem solved only if the wheels I bought end up being good ones. I won't know until I receive them, but I'm optimistic they'll work out.

24. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The chrome can be painted over, though you don't "scuff" the chrome, you sand blast it with 120 grit aluminum oxide at about 50-60 PSIG prior to prime and paint.
    Doug

25. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I’m currently accepting handouts for DaddyO Dino, It’s totally tax-deductible