Spider top hydraulic repair (F430) | FerrariChat

Spider top hydraulic repair (F430)

Discussion in '360/430' started by mjz, Apr 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjz

mjz Karting

Aug 3, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My '08 F430 spider top is starting to slow down and make awful sounds. I am told it's air getting into the system. No warning lights and the top still goes up and down, but ever so slowly compared to new. At this point I won't use it (it's up right now) until I have it repaired.
    One obviously has a small leak. As I understand all 7 hydraulic pistons should be rebuilt.

Would someone advise on what I should expect to spend to have this service done?
    Thanks

2. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a 360 Spider, same mechanism though.

The first thing for you to check is the reservoir. It's behind the B pillar, passenger side. If the level is not out of the bullseye, then you don't have a leak, at least one in the rams. You may have a problem with the pump itself in that case.

If the level is low, and it's likely to be, check for which ram is leaking. The most likely candidates are the ones that are the most stressed, the secondary cylinders which are above the rear of the seats, on the edge of the top. You can easily see these cylinders and visually inspect for leaks. Locate the back of the cylinder with your finger and see if there's any hydraulic fluid residue around the ram. It's likely dripping on the metal parts of the top. The design is such that the drips from the secondary cylinders will flow into the top storage area and run out the drain holes.

If it's not the secondary cylinders, it could be the locking ram in the front of the top. Typically, you'd know if that one was leaking as you'd see hydraulic fluid dripping down your mirror and into your console.

The larger cylinders, which are also easily inspected, are much more robust than the three dinky ones in the top itself. I would doubt they will ever leak and it would be a major job to replace those. The ones in the top are physically small and subject to a lot of force and heat so they fail first.

Personally, I'd skip replacing anything but the leaking ones. I've used Top Hydraulics for my 360's secondary rams (how I know so much about them). I sent them two secondary rams on a Friday FedEx and had them back the following Friday by 10am. I paid for the FedEx shipping. I think the total including shipping was around $540 for two rams.

While you're at it, the 14 elastic bands in your top are probably shot. They only last about seven years under ideal circumstances. They're rubber so follow the same rule as tires. I suggest replacing the elastic bands whenener the tires are replaced.

I wrote this article on the elastic band thing.

https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/09/capote-elastic-bands-and-more.html

Qavion and lkstaack like this.