Valve Cover Gasket replacement | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Valve Cover Gasket replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Jan 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Agreed much less space in the spider - I actually removed the inner fender wells - but thanks to a tech show me the secrete for the tiny piece that goes between the cam shafts

2. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Okay so if it’s 8 hours x 150 an hour that is still:

1200 Labor
    300 Parts

1500 total

Not 3500. Won’t be back to this dealer unless they have a car I want really bad or warranty work on a car or the specific need for a last resort SD3 diagnostic report.

Hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

What is the secret? And is it a 430 secret?
    Thank You

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Run from where ever you got that quote from. Had my drivers side done for $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NMNMNMN likes this.
  5. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    mine is a 360 - I was told by a Ferrari Tech - remove the front bearing cap - if you look in the service manual it show the work being done with the cap removed for access. So I did and you have lots of room to work - this would only apply to the 360 since the 430 uses chains and does not have the same issue. I would think the 430 would be much easier and not require cutting the gasket.

If you need a good inexpensive scan tool buy and Autel AP-200 it reads everything including the spider top computer and will allow you to clear codes its only $50.00 -$60.00 much cheaper then the dealer.

NMNMNMN likes this.
  6. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    I had an intake manifold leak, which forced me to remove the intake in order to replace. While I was in there I figured I would fix the left valve cover gasket as I thought I had what was a small oil leak. Well, it was a large one, blew oil all over the hoses under the intake manifold on top of the engine.

I have a 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider, and based on videos I have seen of someone trying to get the cover off I never attempted without assuming something else would need to be taken out as the valve cover on these cars is stuck between the Exhaust manifold and the intake manifold under the transmission frame.

Well, removing the intake manifold did it. But it was so tight I had to remove the studs that hold on the heat shields on top of the valve covers in order to be able to remove it. Removing the Intake manifold on a spider was a big job, so i would suggest if anyone attempts this, they remove the exhaust manifolds instead, but I would verify if the cover can be removed that way, I know with the intake manifold out it can be removed as I have done it.

As far as torque, the factory torque specs for the 10 mil bolts, there are 14 of them, is 10nm. I tightened mine to 10.5nm. Engine is clean and dry. Sequence of tightening is very important.

LeoExotic and NMNMNMN like this.
  7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I thought I'd provide some info since I'm currently debating on whether to do the gaskets or not. Have some weeping at 26k. An indy specializing in exotics in the Baton Rouge area quoted me $1,566 for replacing the valve cover gasket and tube seals. After seeing the other prices and comparing to Bob's cost at FOA seems pretty reasonable. Doesn't include local tax.

8. Spyder631

Spyder631 Karting

Ferrari of Long Island quoted some stupid price to me which I ignored mostly because I’ve heard stories about people getting the work done and then had it fail again a few years later. I asked the dealer to just triage it....Fwiw, an annual at FoLI is about $2500 and I can’t remember what they quoted on top of that for the gasket but it was basically all labor. Am thinking of having this done by an indie whenever next convenient. I get the sense that if the leak is very minor, it’s not mission critical. True?

9. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    FWIW that’s in line with my Indy. 10 hours of labor @ $175... and $35 for the parts... lol

mathewr and VAF84 like this.
  10. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    I'm doing valve covers right now on my spider. And full exhaust change. Did you use RTV to hold the gasket in place?

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have not done this, but if the rubber joint is fitted into a channel in the cam box cover, i would glue it in with a thin contact adhesive and put the joint face down on a flat surface with weight on top of it over night. We used to do this on big diesel rocker covers, as we had leakage problems using silicon or nothing.

12. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    What type of contact adhesive?

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think we used bostik, but that is uk supply- by sticking it and putting weight on it you know it is at the same height sticking out of the groove in the cover. If its up and down , its never going to seal evenly

14. trimberj

trimberj Rookie

Aug 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Ryan Trimberger
    I just got a recommendation from my dealer to replace my rubber valve covers on my F12 Berlinetta. It would be stuck in the shop for about 4 days of labor and service/parts of $7750. Has anyone else had nosebleed quotes for valve cover replacement?

15. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Do you mean valve cover GASKET replacement?

Not sure what you’re talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    He says rubber valve covers, so yeh it will be the gaskets.

whatheheck likes this.
  17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I'd say the intake manifolds would need to come off so they would get done at the same time. Suggest you post this in the F12 forum. They will guide you best.

whatheheck likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go for sharing.

I sold my F430 Spider 3 years ago, I now drive a 2016 California T.

During annual service of my California T the dealer said the engine valve cover gaskets are leaking.
    Replacement of valve cover gaskets require an engine out procedure.
    Total cost parts and labor = $13,100.00. Yikes!

Done.
    No more oil leak.

f355spider likes this.
  19. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Holy Crap..!!
    That's a tuff pill to swallow..
    Dan thanks for sharing.

whatheheck likes this.
  20. TArmino

TArmino Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    TA
    I just did mine. I brought it in for something unrelated. They found the valve covers leaking and yet I never smelled burning oil. This repair necessitated the whole top of the engine and accessories to be removed. There are 2 “single use” fuel pipes that are around $530 each! This means they must be replaced. I also had the spark plugs replaced at the same time. Whole job was $11,000 with parts.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Same on 488, the engine has to come out- they then have to lock the engine crank and cams in position. Appears it has no top cap covers for the cam bearings, the top bearing is part of the rocker cover . If you dont lock the engine the cam timing is lost

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 360/430 valve cover replacements..no more then 8 hrs for a competent shop to accomplish. Maybe slightly more (like an hour) for the 360 for gasket cleaning etc. If you are getting quoted more then that..find a new place. And no..the roof mechanism DOES NOT need to be removed on the spiders

458 valves covers are done in car. Terrible job. And more time consuming then the 360/430 but do able. I did the front timing cover/oil pump and covers with the engine in. Took about 4 working days. California non turbo..cam covers are about a days work also. F12..time consuming approx 12 hours. 488 indeed is an engine out.

cavlino likes this.
  23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Not mechanic friendly... is an understatement.

tbakowsky likes this.
  24. TArmino

TArmino Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    TA
  25. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I wish i could afford to do it, but a bit out of my price range.