Polar Bear - AC bracket/Sanden-style compressor. | FerrariChat

Polar Bear - AC bracket/Sanden-style compressor.

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    On another thread I mentioned I was waiting to hear back from Polar Bear after sending them a message re the fitment of the bracket for the Sanden-style compressor kit I ordered from them. I thought it was the incorrect bracket. In my post I indicated I was frustrated that they hadn't contacted me.

BUT I WAS IN ERROR!!! Joe, from PB had called me/left a message and I had missed it/didn't notice it in my phone log. They then sent two emails to me saying he had called and gave me a number to call him back directly, which I did this morning.

Turns out the bracket is correct, but needs two spacers for proper fitment to the compressor. Joe advised that finding a correct-sized spacer to supply with the kit has been impossible so either flat washers can be inserted to take up the space or a longer spacer can be cut to fit the 11mm (by my measurement) gap. He said that he was going to update the web page to indicate that so folks wouldn't think, as I did, that there had been an error. He was very helpful/professional and said to call him with any other issues or assistance with the installation. I was very impressed.

I'm posting this because I don't want anyone to decide not to contact PB due to my wrongly-directed frustration when I was the one who deserved the blame!

thorn likes this.
  2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Good on you for fessing up. Good on PB for being so helpful. Isn't it fun when things work out?

3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Do you have any photos, or links to photos, to show the bracket and where the spacers are needed? I had my Sanden AC compressor out in November when I did timing belts on my 84 Euro QV, and I had to remake a NLA bushing on the bracket to timing belt cover stud. I may have photos of whichever spacers you're looking for if the bracket is the same or similar.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Here's a pic of the bracket/compressor. The gap between the rear bracket "ear" and the compressor is 11mm. Two such spacers are needed. I have plenty of suitable washers to fill the gaps though I'd rather have a solid spacer for ease of disassembly/washers falling all over the place purposes! I could just JB-Weld the appropriate number of washers together...

5. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    You need a friend with a lathe and some 7075 (or 6061) alum barstock. That is a 5 minute project

Too bad you aren't closer, i have a lathe..:D

Doug