Redesigned Fuse Block | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Redesigned Fuse Block

Discussion in '308/328' started by TurtleFarmer, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drrick308

drrick308 Rookie

Feb 14, 2012
    Salem, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Dr. Rick
    Jason,
    Thanks for the link. I will give it 24 hours and return and probably place an order.
    R

2. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Hey all,
    Just a quick note to let folks know that I've *finally* got these fuse block replacements back in stock and have fulfilled all the wait list customers (thank you for all your patience).

So, if you're looking for a modern blade-type fuse block replacement for any model year 308 (GT4, carb, 2V, QV; NA or EU-spec; LHD or RHD), they're back in stock along with the covers. Send me an email at [email protected] if you're interested.

Also, I'm pretty excited about a small modification to the design. I finally had a chance to design a new base plate for the whole assembly. You can see the comparisons below: the top two pieces are my original base plate "designs" for the early GT4 and the later cars, respectively. The bottom two pieces are the new CNC routed designs for the same. Functionally no different other than enabling lowering the assembly height by 2-3mm...but they look so much better. Also, for the early GT4 baseplate (top piece in the picture), it used to take about 1.5 hours to custom make each one. Now I get 'em back complete from the CNC shop -- and can spend my own time in the shop making other stuff.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    You can't really see too much difference, but the top assembly has the original base plate while the bottom assembly has the new one. The bottom assembly is about 3mm lower in height than the top assembly (for the early GT4 assembly, it only drops down about 1.5mm).

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So it’s narrower? Or lower when it’s installed. ie less projection outwards?

5. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Just sent you an email

6. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Mike, the PCB board is "closer" to the polycarb baseplate -- "less projection outwards" to use your terminology.

So, for the early GT4s (like yours), I'm hoping it makes it a bit easier to clear that narrow slot at the bottom of the glovebox. I've got the first one of these shipped to a GT4 customer and hope to get some feedback soon. I'm not convinced it doesn't still require bending that little metal tab to make more room, but hopefully it makes it a bit less painful on install.

For the rest of the 308s (late GT4 onward), it won't make any difference other than being less likely to clip the edge of the assembly as you're installing the dash cover.

miahshodan and absostone like this.
  7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yea I figured it had something to do with the metal tab. The tab bends with just your fingers. Cool idea though

8. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Would you consider making these beautiful fuse blocks for the 400i series 1.
    they are rather similar. I would be most grateful and forever in you debt. Thank you so very much indeed. Jq.

9. hrlevy

hrlevy Karting

May 3, 2005
    upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Howard R. Levy
    I got a set from you this winter for my GT4. Is possible to get a new style base for it from you?

10. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Jacques, the blocks are indeed similar but getting the fit just right usually takes a few iterations (the 308 blocks are on their 3rd generation, fuse covers on their 5th and base plates on their 2nd) in addition to a lotta work up front. I'd definitely be interested but there'd have to be enough 400i owners out there interested to at least cover some of that time as well as provide the feedback.

Oh, and of course, I'd need to "borrow" a 400i for a few months, just to get the right fit :) Interestingly enough, a 400i in Marrone is high on my dream car list...

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  11. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    I installed the New early GT4 design on Saturday. The only issues I had were related to my car having some "custom" wiring i.e. vampire clamps and inline fuses going who knows were etc. I decided it was better to put the new fuse block in first and then fix the other issues once I could verify the fuse block was working. The one kind of difficult part was that it wasn't always clear if the contacts behind the board (which I was using primarily) were offset to the left, right or the same as the contacts on the front. Here are the before and after.
    I haven't had a chance to actually drive it yet, but turned things on and it appears everything is working. Unfortunately it didn't fix my issue where the wipers don't have enough power to actually move across a dry windshield, but it did seem to help the windows move better.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  12. rmgaiss

rmgaiss Rookie

Feb 15, 2005
    Lake City, FL
    I'm in. I'd like one.

13. fer308qv

fer308qv Karting

Jul 12, 2006
    Patchogue
    Full Name:
    Matt Kellers
    ....85 308 QV......im very interested!
    status?

14. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @rmgaiss @fer308qv (and anyone else): I have stock on the fuse board assembly ($325 USD) and fuse cover ($65) to cover all 308 models (GT4, GTS/GTB, 2V and QV, NA and EU, LHD and RHD). Send me an email ([email protected]) with the following info:
    - Full Name
    - Year / Model / Spec (EU/NA) / Drive (LHD/RHD)
    - Shipping Address
    - Paypal Email Address

Also, sorry for the delayed response...I just got back from vacation :)

15. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
  16. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I just watched someone install one of these yesterday. I am very impressed with the quality and aesthetics. It looks like an OEM part - but not a 1970's Ferrari OEM part (that's a compliment). Fit and finish are great, very nice. No issues putting it all in.

I have a Birdman fuse block and it works great, but I'm so close to replacing with this anyway....

17. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Really kind words...it really means a lot. The goal in all my component projects is to build something that has the same look and quality as OEM (modern, not 1970's). And, of course, equal or better functionality than the original part.

A few weeks ago I had my first direct order from an official Ferrari dealership--that was pretty cool. Many thanks to another customer (Jeff) for the reference!

It's been a lot of fun supporting and getting feedback from so many of you over the past year.

18. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Another happy customer. I had been having just a little issue with my fuse blocks, but it came to a head a couple of weeks ago at a local event. The forecast was for rain, but it was expected to hold off until the late afternoon and I hoped to be home by then. Of course not and the fuse in question runs the wipers. A wire and fuse swap there gave me wipers (and the stop/turn signals on the same fuse) for the drive home at the loss of power to the instruments. Oh well, who needs to know how fast one is going!

The swap process took less than an hour but the after market 80s alarm system added another 45 minutes while I found out that the previously unknown switch near the fuse blocks not only turned off the alarm, but is an immobilizer turning off all wiring from the Run ignition switch position.

See Electrical Issues (parrotbyte.com) for more details and pictures.

TurtleFarmer and absostone like this.
  19. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Jason,

Just picked-up mine today.

Opened the box and my eyes Fell Outta My Head.

You LIED. ;)

These fuse-blocks are NOT ... 'N-I-C-E.'

NOT. AT. ALL!!!

They are FREAKING .....

WORKS. OF. ART.

Kudos!!!!!! :)

[Donate a block-set to the Louvre in Paris :D]

[Guys, the pics absolutely DO NOT do this thing JUSTICE.]

Thanx So Much for such an OUTSTANDING Product in materials and workmanship!!!!!

Looking FORWARD to your next Project/Product.

[Relay Panel, maybe?]

:)

Mark R
    US Army - Europe

20. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    PM'd and emailed thx!

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  21. dhalter

dhalter Karting

Aug 2, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I bought this solution and did my car in June - absolutely first rate. I love the ability to see which fuse is out with the LED lights. A first rate upgrade. As a side note, my lights would not tolerate the switch from 8A to the new 7.5A mini blade fuse. Kept popping. So as usual - FERRARI scope creep!!! I ended up swapping that headlamps out for lower amp draw LEDs, which was an outstanding upgrade. I will get around to posting that in another thread.

22. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  23. notredSteve

notredSteve Rookie

Sep 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve B
    Jason,
    I'm interested in a fuse block for my 1980 308 GTSi. I've emailed you as well. THX!

24. bspellerin

bspellerin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2011
    Hermon, Maine
    Full Name:
    Brian Pellerin
    Ordered and received in about 4 days, installed today in 30 mins. Looks and works great, highly recommended. Outstanding product and Jason was super nice.

Thanks again Jason.

newark_308 and TurtleFarmer like this.
  25. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @bspellerin ,
    Looks great...nice job on the install!

BTW, if you want to get the wire connections to match OEM housings, you can order these from Digikey:
    - Housings: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/280232-8/5124694
    - Terminals: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/2238196-3/9658645

I'd definitely recommend a good crimper for the terminals (DM me if you have any questions about how to make a good crimp) -- I'm not a fan of solder on the crimp.

Here's a before and after of the window switches (PO put the bad crimp + electrical tape... it was driving me nuts).
    Before

After

absostone likes this.