Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I never heard of this Robert guy until today but I google'd him and it seems like he went after Lamborghini for the Performante record and he also had doubts about the SVJ but couldn't provide any proof. Who is this guy and why does he hate Lamborghini so much?

And what's even more bizarre to me is he made a 20+ min video on Lamborghini cheating when no one even knows if they were attempting a lap record. For all we know they could be doing internal testing seeing how this was the first time they booked out the ring track since COVID.

Shack likes this.
  2. I guess we'll all find out if/when Lamborghini decides to publish a Ring time for the STO.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Except the supposed Mclaren fan boys also own Ferraris. Kinda weird that someone actually owns more than one brand of car. what a novel concept.

Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  4. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    #604 Jcmd, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fanboy

Fanboy FYI is not brand specific. They may wear several hats. Im sure they can wear a Ferrari hat as well as a McLaren hat . I dont hate mcLaren, i just dont see me buying one for now. Im ending any more responses to this thread as the answer to the question posted by the aiuthor… pista, sto 765, amg bs has been answered ( my opinion and why). Now live with it.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Peace at last. Hopefully we can get back to more substantive responses and get this thread back on track.

06viper, Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Now that the resident mclaren hater has self banished from the thread- has anyone gotten a Black Series? Thoughts from owners? You like the car?

Thecadster likes this.
  7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Ordered but a Q3 build. I don’t think any have been delivered in North America, and only a handful worldwide. Apparently 360 cars for the US.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #608 Coincid, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Just came back from seeing the STO. The demo car was in the color combination as the introduction. In person, the car looks very impressive with a race car flair. The demo car is very flashy which does suit the car, but I can appreciate that the more conservative among us might opt for a color /accent combo slightly more understated. Personally I would change the orange accents to all high gloss CF but it is not going to be available for quite some time due to CF production issues. To commit to an allocation, I would need to test drive the car to determine the degree of improvement in driving dynamics and capability compared to the Performante. The fact that the engine is unchanged from the Performante does cause me to pause but the STO does offer a compelling package.

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have already put him on IGNORE. He definitely has some serious issues.

Thecadster likes this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Probably very few members here or anywhere can make that comparison. The Performante is a tough act to follow, I’m sure. Hopefully you’ll get a chance to demo the STO, unlike me who is buying yet another car without a test driving it first. Surely Car and Driver can’t be wrong, lol.

Yeah, the demo is flashy and to recreate it costs a bundle. I opted out of the external CF and went with dark chrome inside, but with so many in the queue with CF options, Lambo must find a way to start getting these cars out. I wouldn’t wanna be Manager of Carbon Fiber right now.

Coincid likes this.
  11. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Wouldn't say it's fair to say he hates Lambo. Simply skeptical of their legitimacy in regards to lap times, and rightfully so. I like Lamborghini, but I'm also a skeptic. Doesn't mean I hate em. Also, it's a fair assumption that it's a ring time attempt since they booked the entire track out, rather than just participating in a typical manufacturer day if it's just testing.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I do feel the STO differentiates itself from the Perf mainly through its aesthetics. Lambo is very good at this - look at the Centenario, wasn’t much more than a souped up V10 version, mainly aesthetics.
    STO same engine so I can’t imagine the butt dyno would notice much of a difference in driving dynamics. STO 95 lbs less than Perf and has more aero, ain’t going to feel any of this unless you’re on the track.
    Power delivery should feel the same. Wider tires and stiffer suspension will probably be the biggest difference in terms of handling feel.
    Aggressive design and tighter handling would be the main differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11, Coincid and ScrappyB like this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have no expectation that the STO will offer a paradigm shift in performance or driving dynamics compared to the Performante. Should be simliar to the evolutionary improvement as experienced going from the F8 to the Pista- same power plant meaning virtually the same speed despite lower mass, attractive in a track inspired aesthetic, more nimble, stiffer suspension for superior track performance and more aero that might translate to better track times.

It is for all these factors that I passed on the Pista after owning the F8 and did not accept an allocation for the STO after having the Performante. I jumped on the 765 because it represents a quantum leap in design, performance and above all, heightened sense of drama, engagement and driving intensity. The model it replaced , the 720S, could not be more dissimilar. The two cars bears no similiarity on any level of performance, driving dynamics, car and driver connectivity. The 720S is akin to someone who works out in a gym 3 times a week using light weights for 30 minutes. The 765 is a weight lifter who trains 2 hours daily and is on steroids.

Twosherpaz and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    No STO? You’ll be sorry. Rest assured I’ll provide a full review, peppered with adjectives and accolades.

Shack and Coincid like this.
  15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If I was adding a car, it would undoubtedly by a Pista or the STO. Simply do not have a fire in my belly to do so at this time.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #616 Shadowfax, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    The 765 is all you need really as it does everything better than Pista I've so far found. I only own a few cars from the angle of owning art and being able to drive that art and, being able to share the mileage has its advantages. Variety aside it's clear which one is the better as a drivers car though - (the 765). The looks of each is subjective as is the sound so its a matter of deciding which you prefer. For me I personally prefer the sound of the Mac (being more organic) and peakier in note even though the Ferrari is somewhat more harmonious.

The Mac presents as the more bespoke visually when looking at both parked alongside one another. Insofar as the drive and connection goes the Mac is far more pure and organic vs the synthetic lesser connected feel of Pista giving the Mac a clear edge and advantage in a number of key areas. Ergonomically the Mac also wins hands down and the MI is much better as well. The Mac also offers enough headroom when wearing a helmet without having to seek awkward seating positions, which is what you have to do in the Pista. That said at least you can wear a helmet in Pista even if it does mean laying the seat back as far as it can go and sitting your backside forward in the swab. Not exactly desirable, but at least somewhat doable.

With STO I've since arrived at the firm conclusion it's a car for short people and even then has unfavorable compromises. I've tried every seating position (i'm 6') and its a definite no go with a helmet on, and even without one its not great - a bit of a struggle to get the position where you would want it. And then there is the zero rearward view which is unbelievably bad (to put it kindly). The forward vision also having no extremity points on each of the front corners (to gauge where the car is on the rd at any given point) is also less than ideal too. It'd definitely be an absolute nightmare of a car to park that's for sure. So to conclude, if it were to be a one fun car garage you'd be hard pressed going past the 765 really. A second car would undoubtedly be Pista if the other choice was STO, for reasons stated. But of course to each their own.

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #617 Coincid, May 27, 2021
    Right on. The 765 is a singular seminal achievement. I won’t belabor this issue but Shadow echos the experience of everyone who owns the car. The 765 has no peer.

Gh21631, Shadowfax and Thecadster like this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #618 Shadowfax, May 27, 2021
    I'm still yet to pass the run in mileage to where I can track it, but suffice to say given the quality of road mileage now travelled, it is a situation of game over. Pista is still a great car though and certainly a worthwhile addition for anyone seeking to add however, if I were faced with the choice of taking only the one then for me it would be the Mac as it's clearly the more exciting and communicative car to drive - not discounting the fact the Pista is also a brilliant car in its own right. Just in this instance it's outdone everywhere. It is what it is - not looking to rile up the natives here. It's closest peer in many ways would be the gt2rs (imho) as it also offers an incredible connection with the driver along with the full suite of sensations one would seek in a car of this nature.

At this stage there isn't enough out there on the STO to place it in the pecking order but for me it doesn't appear to be in the running for many users due to the ergonomic issues and, the fact it would be a very hard car to park least of all switch lanes in, in traffic or on track without hitting into something - that is if you were short enough to be able to fit in it with a helmet on. I think if you were the only car on the road or the only car on track the side and rear vision issues would not present, but how often would that even happen?

Coincid and ScrappyB like this.
  19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    The Pista is damn beautiful though. I have yet to drive mine (still waiting on the title so I can get it registered), and if it drives half as nice as it looks, it will be a worthy addition.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Congrats, looks a very nice pair. I think you will be very happy with the Pista cadster but you will need a valve controller for town speed driving or it will be lacklustre in the sound dept. Up in the hills you will be fine though or when you are up it. But around town its pretty quiet off throttle.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Already in the works Shadow. Once I get it registered, my detailer is going to finish the areas that still need PPF, then my dealer is going to install carbon fiber engine covers and a Capristo valve controller. At that point, I should be all set. I’m super excited. I sit in it about 30 minutes a day. I waited a long time to have one in the garage.

Coincid and Gh21631 like this.
  22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Not many cars more beautiful than a Pista.

Jo Sta7, Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  23. I swear, I saw the exact 765LT on the freeway over the weekend.

Are you sure you're not in Los Angeles? :D

Thecadster likes this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Pista is a keeper for me.
    No on the STO. Ergonomics are terrible and I don’t fit comfortably although I’d love to ha ve a lambo in the garage.
    765 LT Spider spec has begun. We are doing custom color exterior and interior. 1:1. Likely delivery q1-q2 next year

buddyg, Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Cadster- take the Pista out for a drive. Registered or not. Be daring.

plastique999 and Thecadster like this.