488 - Does Pista really have a special pipe for better engine sound inside? | FerrariChat

488 Does Pista really have a special pipe for better engine sound inside?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by bluesunday, May 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluesunday

bluesunday Karting

Oct 10, 2020
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey,

First of all, apologies if the term "pipe" isn't the best one to capture what I am about to ask. Watching a couple of videos up online regarding 488 Pista and SF90, I've stumbled upon an information that Ferrari did a special solution to pipe the pure engine sound to the inside of the cabin for better acoustic and driving experience.

Looking to confirm that information and learn more about it. Also, I wonder if that's available on F8 as well and if not, how complicated it would be to achieve a similar solution.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I don't think sound is piped into the Pista.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    As far as I know it was only done on the F8, since the crap EU required GPFs were added to the car.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Both the 488 and Pista have the sound generators. For the reasons of the F8 having the GPF it was advertised as having the sound generators because how the sound of the F8 was suppressed.

The 488 and the Pista not one word in all the releases

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    How do the sound generators work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Its just a pipe with a molded plastic part attached to it that comes of the inlet pipe. Look at a Toyota 86 and the part is easily seen. Circled

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Just looks like Ferrari didn't want to mention the addition to the 488 and the Pista. But as said they all have it

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    never knew the 86 engine bay looks pretty decent for Toyota.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    From driving both- it strikes me the F8 gets more engine noise/ the Pista more exhaust noise. Just one man’s impression from the cabin.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    at least Ferrari isn't speakering engine sound, but I am so disappointed Ferrari did this. I guess that's the way Ferrari is going, if your target market is for fake people, then why not pipe the sound.

tazz99, Shadowfax, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The sad part is , even with the sound generators it still sounds anemic.

RayJohns likes this.
  11. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Is it really any different than tailoring the exhaust sound with various different pipe layouts. I think too much is made of this, these companies have been at it for years.

12. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Over the past year of fun times of learning about what works and doesn't work as far as mods on the Pista, I found this interesting thing along the way. As I was trying to resolve an issue with the first exhaust controller I tried on the Pista, I had to have the engine covers in the engine bay off to look for an electrical issue. While doing that I spotted this strange looking hose that looked like it was piping into the cabin.

After digging deeper, I found that it actually connects to a little mystery box that seems to have no part number, then goes to a long set of hoses that terminates as an opening facing an interesting slot cut out of the rear muffler tailpipe. See below images.

The tubing could potentially be a resonator to potentially either constructively amplify certain frequencies in the cabin or destructively cancel noise. Or it could be something totally different! I couldn't find a part number for that little mystery box though.

One more interesting data point is that the 488 GTB does not have this tube nor the cutout in the tailpipe.

SVR and Thecadster like this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the engine noise is natural if it comes out the exhaust or through the structure of the car, if there is an engineered effort to pipe noise to the occupants, that's faking it.

Mikael-F360, Shadowfax and ScrappyB like this.
  14. There's definitely more induction noise in the Pista.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Look at my post above yours. Its in the parts. Sound generator. I have it circled

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Serves me right for taking too long to click post! Hahaha

Still begs the question, what is this pipe going from the muffler to the cabin?

17. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #17 Caeruleus11, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    What do you think of when they spend thousands of man hours tuning the exhaust? What about choosing firewall materials that transmit the sound better/ differently? What if they engineer certain pipes to be closer to the passenger compartment so you get the sound?

Not that I expect it will change your opinion but I believe the 458 and 488 also have something similar. When I spoke with my mechanic about why my 458 when it was stock sounded artificial he said theres a pipe they use to pump in sounds and he could try to stuff it- to me the sound was resonating the frame of the car and it was like surround sound exhaust sound. Rather than do this, we just made the exhaust louder Anyway, what matters to me is how the car drives. And if they have to do this kind of thing to help with engagement, especially given the latest regulations, then so be it.

I draw the line when its piped in via speakers.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's part of engineering to balance performance, vibration, sound, etc. it is natural development you are required to have an exhaust, so must consider the comprehensive impacts.

That's where I think it crosses the line, the exhaust has a purpose and you can tune it directly. The firewall has a purpose and it isn't to enhance a separate components sound.

Certainly. I feel piping sound is equivalent to a non-functional intake or a single functional muffler with extra non-functional tips.

my view isn't going to change anything, there are still Ferrari owners that just take to the valet, wear fake watches, have girlfriends with plastic surgery, and like replica Ferraris. :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Can you name a modern Ferrari without sound tubes is the better question. They've been there a while.

Caeruleus11 likes this.