Why New Aircraft Engine Ideas Rarely Succeed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why New Aircraft Engine Ideas Rarely Succeed

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BJK, May 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I crewed on a land speed record car. It broke the record on its 1st full pass (1st pass was a short pass to test systems). It went over 340 ultimately. I asked the owner "So, about $1000 per MPH?'. He said "pretty close".

I think with airplanes you need to add another digit.

Bob Parks likes this.
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Talking engines. We have a 2003 Honda Odyssey with 2010 K miles on it. This has the best engine that I have every owned. I have been religious about care and maintenance and it is still powerful, responsive, quick, and totally reliable. It uses about 1 quart of oil in 3000 miles and has had no other problems. The belts were replaced at 196k and showed no signs of failure. I would have another when the times come but it'll be a long time from now.

tomc likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- I hope you meant 201K and not 2,010,000 miles.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    OOPS! Two hundred ten thousand, 210K. You have to expect that from a 950K year old guy. Or is that just 94.9 with no K. I really don't care, I'm having a good time with all of this.

Gatorrari likes this.
  5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
  6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    These guys have been at it for over 15 years, since before 2006. That's a long time. always hear "looks promising". Not sure what the problems are.

"The architecture is based on a “High-Efficiency Hybrid Cycle” (HEHC) thermodynamic cycle, which borrows elements from Otto, Diesel, Atkinson and Rankine cycles.
    The HEHC cycle can be implemented in a variety of ways; LiquidPiston is developing an implementation that uses a separate rotary compressor, two isolated combustion chambers, and a separate rotary expander."

David_S likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sometimes also called green grease.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Cubic inches? A most magnificent failure was the 36-cylinder Lycoming R-7755, probably the biggest piston aircraft engine ever built. I believe that only 2 were built, and the Smithsonian still has one!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone and BJK like this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #35 Rifledriver, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    I really like piston engines but someone should have sent butterfly nets after that entire design crew.

God I am glad we have jet engines. The 4360 should have been lesson enough. The law of diminishing returns hit the wall very hard at about 3500 inches.

Just keeping on piling on more cylinders and more banks of cylinders works fine for stationary diesels.
    But not for high speed gas engines.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you''re wondering, that Lycoming monster was sort of a hybrid between traditional radial and inline engine design. It had 9 banks of 4 inline cylinders arranged radially around the crankshaft, and it was liquid-cooled.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #37 Rifledriver, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    With 4 crank pins and 4 master rods no doubt. Keeping all the sins of inline and radial with none of the virtues.

Kill them before they design again.

All that for an anticipated 5000 HP and a svelte 6000 lbs. . Talk about diminishing returns.

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    something 'new'/interesting: REVOLUTIONARY new INLINE 4 - ALFADAN BIG BLOCK i4 ENGINE
    https://www.startengine.com/alfadan

this vid is from a Youtuber not associated with Alfadan.

Jump to 15:50 (read vid description & timestamp - first 15 min. talks about problems with large bore i4's)

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats pretty exciting. Inline 4 is one of the best, if not the best, most efficient configurations for a water cooled piston engine. Output per displacement is typically great. If they have solved the inherent secondary vibration issue that is indeed a game changer.

Non cam operated valves have been under experimentation since the early or mid 80's. by a lot of companies. Solenoids had too many issues but I had heard there was considerable progress made with pneumatic.

Mahle is huge in the piston and rod business, without doubt the best piston company in the world so it will be very interesting to see what they have dreamed up with a rod that makes this possible. They are the leader in powdered metal rods. We'll see.

Thanks for posting that. .

Bob Parks likes this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Koenigsegg's FreeValve system
    https://www.freevalve.com/freevalve-technology/

Jump to 5:00 for FreeValve discussion

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When I worked for the Sunshine Buick Co. in Sarasota, I learned a bit from the owner who was an engineer. He supervised the shops that built P&W engines during the war and he told me that the worst configuration for a crank shaft was with an inline 8 and the best was a straight 4. Anything longer has distortion issues from power impulses. The straight 6 and 8 crankshafts assume an "S" shape at high power inputs and require many main bearings.. I always think of the 4 cylinder Meyer-Drake / Offenhauser(spl) engines that ruled the Midget race venues for so many years...and the great sound that they produced.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #42 Rifledriver, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    I have seen it thanks. As small as they are I just consider Koenigsegg the next level of experimentation.

18. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Modern Rotax engines are incredibly; reliable, inexpensive, low operating costs, and less sound/vibration.

I have terrible opinions of Lycomings and Continentals.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app