488 - How does everyone like their Pista? Is it a keeper? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

488 How does everyone like their Pista? Is it a keeper?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, May 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Well? @Thecadster - have you driven it? What do you think?

2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So weird twist on Friday. I received the title at 4:00 on Friday. I promptly raced to the DMV to register the car in order to enjoy it over the weekend. Upon my arrival at the DMV, the line stretched outside the building, but I discovered that as long as you were in line by 5:00, you would be assisted. About 2 hours later, I got to the window. Here’s how it played out from there:

DMV Lady: Where’s your Bill of Sale?
    Me: It’s right there?
    DMV Lady: It doesn’t say Bill of Sale?
    Me: It says Purchase Order, what’s the difference?
    DMV Lady: You will have to come back.
    Me: Hang on. You helped with two cars last year. Let me see what that paperwork said. (I dig through my email and find my GT and Viper paperwork) Yeah, see here? These say Buyer’s Order, not Bill of Sale.
    DMV Lady: Well, those have the company name on them.
    Me: So does this one. It says right there the company name. So the issue has nothing to do with Bill of Sale?
    DMV Lady: Well...those have the company logo.
    Me: So is the issue Bill of Sale...company name....or missing logo? I’m confused. It worked last year twice with you, and now it doesn’t.
    DMV Lady: Have them email you new paperwork.
    Me: With all due respect, I have waited 2 hours and it’s a holiday weekend. I’m out of town next week. I can go home and play around on the computer to generate different paperwork, but what good will that do?
    DMV Lady: I’m sorry, but you need to leave...next person in line.

I guess because it was after hours and it was a Ferrari. In any case, I couldn’t get the car registered.

I ended driving it the detailer for the PPF, but I did not have a chance to really wring it out. I do have a couple quick observations:
    • I really like the car. It’s sufficiently different than anything I have. It fills a gap.
    • It’s awfully quiet. Again, I didn’t wring it out, but until the valves open at 3,000rpms, it’s extremely subdued. Perhaps, the Capristo Valve Controller solves the problem, perhaps it does not.
    • It’s actually quite comfortable. I was surprised. I thought it might be tuned more raw, closer to the Performante or 765LT, but instead, it is quite comfy. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, and it might actually turn out to be a good thing. Again, it slides into a hole in my collection.
    • The car feels solid, nimble, and lightweight.
    • It’s absolutely gorgeous. I love the Pista in general (always have), and my unique spec in particular.
    I will follow up with a better review once I get the car registered and retrieve it from the detailer. It’s been an adventure, and the adventure is not quite over.

Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

We have complete morons in this country in charge of the most valuable pieces of structure that are needed to make the world run.

jerrym, Jo Sta7 and Thecadster like this.
  4. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    witty...

5. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Modern Ferraris are so beautiful. The Pista is a like a tailored suit.

Just last year people in this same forum were giving negative opinions on the pista saying it wasn't aggressive enough "engine wise".

I still prefer the 458. Enjoy the car though!

6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    yes. I thought it was. Glad you agree.

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    There is a stark difference between the Pista and the 765. After the 765, you will be surprised how comfortable, quiet and civilized the Pista is. Ferrari does not make cars like the 765.

Shack and Thecadster like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Your preference for a 11 year old model compared to the latest, track focused V8 super car speaks volumes.

9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Preferences are fungible if you have multi cars to pick from. Whether it’s being anachronistic one day to long for an analog car of the past or to move to the fast lane with “ latest,track focused V8”. Each being the bad ass of their time does not erode from their value in my opinion.

ScrappyB likes this.
  10. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX

isn't pista already a bit old?

Shark01 likes this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    For those with numerous cars, I agree. Many serve varying functions whether performance or emotion. However, I may be wrong , but I do not think that applies to ChadR.

12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I would have absolutely lost it on her! Did you ask for a supervisor?

Thecadster likes this.
  13. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Are you implying he may have or can only afford one car? There are people on this forum and you never know who they are that could buy your company if you have one and turn it into a parking lot and he may be one of them. Who knows? I find it best to avoid these types of insinuative comments - just my opinion.

14. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Ahhh yes, this definitely does not apply to me.

I hope you're a woman, because I only like women trying to watch my pocket like this.

But, don't worry, this definitely does not apply to me.

15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I did not. I certainly should have, and immediately thought about that angle once I had left. I was so flummoxed by the situation, that I was totally on my heels. It’s 2 hours that I will never get back, and I have to do it again on Friday.

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I am not implying anything. Ones ability to buy one or numerous cars is of no concern to me. My point is that there are those who only wish to own one super car at a time. For those, they will generally purchase the one that suits them best. If ChadR falls in that category, and he would rather own the 458 over the Pista, that speaks mightily in favor of an 11 year old car that has been superseded by 3 new models.

Gh21631 and Thecadster like this.
  17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I have some cars registered to my DE home, the DMV there is actually an enjoyable experience. They treat you like a human and go out of their way to help you. VA is another story, more in line with your experience. You handled it much better than I would have.

Thecadster likes this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I was totally caught off guard. She helped me on the last two cars, and I remembered her to be surprisingly pleasant. One thing you can be certain of, I will never let her assist me again.

19. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

That's terrible Chris. Sorry to hear. I would have lost it! Lol.

As far as the exhaust note goes, you are spot on. In stock form, the exhaust note is almost non existent until you get up in the rev range. A Capristo valve controller will solve a big portion of that. I would definitely get one. It still might not achieve the sound you want, but a great alternative short of swapping out the exhaust system. I've done both and couldn't be happier.

Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    He’s more useless. These people think they’re protecting the free world.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Dude if all you need is a registration go to AAA. They’re way nicer and far less busy. If you aren’t a AAA member it’s like $80 for the year for their most premium package.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    AAA does registrations?

23. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Sort of happened to me in NY. I presented clerk with a bill of sale with the seller's business name written in ink on the header. She would not accept it as a real bos. I too was flummoxed (like that word) . Spoke to dealer (independent guy) he knew right away and apologized profusely for my wasted time (was about 40 min) He took out rubber stamp & ink pad then stamped the header . That's it, that's what they wanted . It worked , I was like the the hell?

Just looked it up , yes they do some DMV services , not all though probably varies by state. Doesn't work for new registrations in NY

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I walk in with my BOS, they give me a plate and a temp registration just like a dealer. The state then sends the title and registration in the mail.

Since you're a member, they actually treat you nicely.

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Good to know.