F8 - Battery, oh the Battery! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Battery, oh the Battery!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by xBox, May 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Can the stop start be turned off ?

2. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Every 3 years of ownership, whether needed (of course it does) or not (not going to find out the hard way) I replace my battery. It seems like a waste of several hundred dollars. However the thought of having a failure of the battery or worse something electrical due to battery failure is WAY more than the potential cost/inconvenience of a bad battery. If guys can justify 5k/year extended warranty, I can justify $150/year in battery costs.

Funny battery story. On my first 3 year service, when I asked the dealer to check the original Italian battery, it was of course shot. But, the fact that it had swollen like a melon rather than just dying is a tribute to Italian manufacturing prowess. It was likely due to the cheap Ferrari tender cooking it. I have since gotten a better one and no issues the past 5 1/2 years.

In regards to lithium battery, call me skeptical. NOT that it isn't superior. Rather, I don't like idea of a heat generating Li ion battery in an enclosed area. I just worry - perhaps inappropriately about it. The uber tech at my dealership is not a big fan of them yet unless car is designed for one. He maintains that he cannot start a stranded car - safely - via an external power source when one is connected. I cannot comment on his accuracy. Only what he has said.

Best

Melvok and Level7 like this.
  3. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    You can and apparently the car won’t attempt if voltage is low.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  4. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Even more when apparently, SF90's reverse depends solely on electric motor. No battery, you are screwed.

BTW. New V6 Turbo Toaster's front looks like McLaren and Tesla had a baby and the rear, the C7 Corvette

MANDALAY likes this.
  5. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Did ask that question last Tuesday at another demo day. Factory tech said Ferrari had already thought of that early on, and the reverse will always have juice..

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, your guy is on the money there.

If you allow a Lithium battery to discharge too far (usually down below maybe 10 or 11 volts, when dealing with a car type lithium battery), then you definitely need to know what you are doing when it comes to recharging, etc. Also, because "totally" dead the Lithium cells can accept a charge rather quickly (with their low internal resistance), you have to be careful charging a "black hole" for electrons. The sudden current draw can be high and unexpected. On my pickup truck, for example, where I'm using the Braille G30 lithium ion battery, I have a redundant fuse / circuit breaker setup to help protect against this very situation. Even though the alternator is capable of delivering 140 amps, I have a marine grade circuit breaker in line between it and the Lithium battery, which will trip slightly below what the alternator can output at max. I also have a few which is very close to what the alternator max is, which is in there to help keep my electrical system from accidentally turning into an arc welder.

So even though it's a somewhat remote situation, your guy is correct that there are possible situation where if someone allowed the Lithium battery to go completely flat, it's a little more complex to get everything back on line. With that said, however, it's a much more rare occurrence than with a traditional battery. I did have it happen once with my 488 and I had to remove the battery and use the special Braille battery charger (which has a special pulse mode to recover the cells) to get it back up and running.

So yeah, you definitely want to try to avoid totally depleting a Lithium battery if you can.

Ray

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I dont have the Start/Stop function. If you do and can disable it , I would.

GT2goneF likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Start/stop worst idea ever. The nerd who thought of it knows nothing about design or reliability. Show stopper for me.

Napoli likes this.
  9. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    So apparently the SF90 if fine and can be left for weeks - big batteries and quick regen charging when on the move!

10. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Thanks Ray.
    I don't do well with electricity: when I wired auxiliary gauges into an old American car in my youth I managed to shock the hell out of my self AND burn my fingers.
    Probably why I have PTSD around car batteries. LOL!
    Randy

11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    So why would you need to plug it in? Leaves you wondering.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MANDALAY likes this.
  12. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    The new V6 Turbo Toaster

https://www.motor1.com/news/510632/ferrari-v6-hybrid-production-body/

Tell me what you think. To me, it looks generic, not like a Ferrari. Lost all its lines and just looks cheap.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Chizz and MANDALAY like this.
  13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The 458 and newer F's simply eat batteries.

Do you know why ?

There are over 120 ECU's in the system that use some current.

Only cure: unlock the minus pole or keep battery always on a good trickler.

And have a charger (not a trickler) at hand … and one battery every 3 years ...

Napoli, Chizz and MANDALAY like this.
  14. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    On my Pista I disconnected as much parasite drain as possible....under door lights and bonnet static lights etc. First thing when I get in the car is disable stop/start button.

MANDALAY likes this.
  15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Time will tell. Lets see if there are battery problems with the SF90 as people get their cars.

Dont know if it has ever been stated but do you know whether the SF90 still has an actual starter battery separate to the hybrid battery ?

16. Headsuppassinglft

Dec 24, 2020
    Addison, TX
    Full Name:
    Christine Fritsch
    I used to drive my McLaren 570S frequently and never had to plug it in ever. I did the same amount of driving with my 720S and had to start getting in the habit of plugging it in every time I got home because it would go dead in a few days. Both Lithium Ion batteries. I just plug in my F8 when I get home. It's so easy with the magnetic plug.

I have 4500 miles on my F8 in 7 months now and I'm going on the goldRush rally the 12th. Should be another 3000 miles from NY to Dallas. I'm never going to win the least amount of miles driven contest. :(:D

17. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I do not think you will have any problems with battery charging. Enjoy that amazing trip.

Blessings

Melvok and Chizz like this.
  18. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I'm looking in to this - still has two batteries, 12v and higher voltage to support the motor systems.

Asking if the higher system can support the lower, but in any case, SF90 has a better sleep mode, which reduces parasitic drain.

MANDALAY, Melvok and Chizz like this.
  19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Are there any Panasonic batteries that would work? Not a Johnson Controls brand built in the US rebranded to whatever, but a made in Japan battery by Panasonic. Those car batteries sometimes last 8+ years...

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not just Ferrari, at least Porsche Panamera also. My wife drives her car every single day. Within one year of ownership it sat for 7 days and when we returned, completely dead. I had the dealer look at it for a parasitic drain. They said there was none and that this is normal for the Panamera. We were away for 5 days last month, I put it on a tender.

Meanwhile I have left my Lexus LS460 for 33 days with no problem.