Testarossa 0.0% CO mystery - KE-Jetronic | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testarossa 0.0% CO mystery - KE-Jetronic

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Pesch, May 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    ok thanks, that was my question, but may be I described not really good?

2. Pesch

Pesch Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    South of France
    Full Name:
    Arnaud
    Breakout box is completed and tested.
    I hope the unshielded sections of cable won’t create interference for the RPM and TDC sensors.
    Unfortunately I didn’t have enough hardware on hand to hook the 25 pins… so I can only use it for the microplex, I’ll have to update it to use it on the KE if needed…
    Tonight, test session with a multimeter and an oscilloscope.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    wow, nice work

Pesch likes this.
  4. Pesch

Pesch Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    South of France
    Full Name:
    Arnaud
    Update after troubleshooting :
    Non starting condition was solved after I found that I knocked the small round connector below the cooler tank while removing the distributor cap… But still on RH banc only.
    Hooked the breakout box and all mesures came out pretty good…
    Back to basics, last link that could go wrong was the ignition lead between the coil and the dist (I swapped the coils and modules before)…
    Continuity check and a closer visual inspection revealed a corroded crimp connector on coil side.
    Inner conductor of the wire turning to dust on the tip a very stiff insulation.
    It seems that this cable end overheated making the core wire brittle and the insulation stiff.
    Tried to shorten it an crimp the connector back but the protrusion that should penetrate the core wire was half gone?
    Next mission is to find some wire and crimp connector…

I feel quite stupid for missing that but it’s 1st time for me that I experience such a failure.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is spiral wound core with a very fine wire. Whoever made the wire sets either pulled the fine wire over the side and ran it under the crimp connector or on some sets put a metal staple like thing into the spiral core and ran it under the crimp on connector. Otherwise a VOM will not read continuity. I use a piece of 032 safety wire. A coil wire is 500-700 ohms. Close is good enough.

6. Pesch

Pesch Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    South of France
    Full Name:
    Arnaud
    Yes it’s a kind of “staple” crimp connection with a tab penetrating the cable core.
    The tab itself seems to have broken into the cable.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats not what I am talking about. The pointed tab on generic replacements will very possibly just cut the spiral core. Its not what was used. I was talking about a separate piece pushed down in the core at the end of the wire and wrapped around the side and under the crimp on end.

8. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Would this be a good spot for some dielectric grease to avoid future corrosion?

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never seen a need. My car is just as old and the connectors all look like new, so do the majority of cars I service. I'd correct why they are corroding. They are supposed to have very effective boots sealing them and in my experience they do.

10. Pesch

Pesch Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    South of France
    Full Name:
    Arnaud
    Quick update,
    Ignition is back, that was not so simple to find a correct ignition lead locally, had to go trough available reference at the local part store with an helpful seller.
    I can confirm the poor construction of original Cavis with the pointed tab on the connector.
    Locally sourced ferro-spiral leads have the connector with staple mentioned above.

Now a new problem, there's not enough fuel on left bank so I have to modify my breakout box for KE Jetronic purpose to rule out any issue with HEA driven by the ECU.
    As the mixture screws have been fiddled before, I prefer to confirm that theres no electrical issue 1st before fiddling some more...
    Tests 1 to 8 from diagnostic sheet N°6 were fine, I hope that there's no issue with the ECU and a proper setting of the mixture screw will solve the isse.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Cavis never used the connector with pointed tab. That was someones repair.

12. Pesch

Pesch Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    South of France
    Full Name:
    Arnaud
    Thanks again everyone, the car is now running beautifully, my friend cannot be happier !

Sorry to Cavis for the misjudgement, been reading here and there bad things about those wires...

Before atempting to set the mixture, I checked all ECU parameters with my breakout box (that I had to repin).
    All tests went OK, some were not that easy to conclude on the HEA current suppl behavor bu at least I made sure the KE-Jet was operating properly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The mixture was set at 1.0% CO on both banks for a bit of safety margin, left bank was smoking a bit and I thought plugs (and maybe valves) may be dirty with all that unproperly burnt fuel that went to this bank.
    I then placed the new obturator scews on the setting ports as the original ones were damaged wile the tamper plug was removed.
    Not easy to find new even through Mercedes but I randomly found a garage in France is making repro.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I asked my friend to go for an Italian tune-up and I would come back to precisely adjust the mixture to original spec.

I was wondering if it would be worth it to set it a bit richer as the car has free flow Tubi Style mufflers (may woth checking on the dyno).

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No serious sin at all at 1.0% CO -- the F spec of 0.8% CO is optimistically lean.