Looking for 1999 550 Secondary Air Pump | FerrariChat

Looking for 1999 550 Secondary Air Pump

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by SAFE4NOW, Jun 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Help, secondary air pump needed!!!

Part # is 165903

I have attached photos of the pump here, which I’ve been sending out to our various contacts.

I’ve also looked into having it rebuilt, but have not been able to find anyone that will take on an electric motor this small.

If you have any contacts/sources for one/rebuilder, it would be greatly appreciated, as it is the only item hanging the repairs up currently.

Thank you all for your time and help!

Steve

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Have you disassembled it yet?

I'll bet the impeller is frozen in place due to plastic dust build up caused by the impeller rubbing the case. A through cleaning and possibly trimming the impeller will add some life time but it's a rare design with the input tube axial to the rotation instead of tangential as most other pumps are. It's also possible to add a small piece of very hard shim stock in the cover to act as a thrust bearing.

As you know it's also used in some Maserati's and the 355 but I couldn't find any other use.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Recently I searched Amazon and I saw a few that looked easy to adapt. No direct replacements but until someone decides to make more a little fabrication is in our future. Who knows, maybe we will trip over a quality replacement. More than Ferrari offered us.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I spent many hours searching multiple sites looking for a suitable looking pump knowing that a whole new mount would have to be fabricated without success

Whatever pump is chosen a new pump mount and hose routing will be necessary. I believe it's going to require a bit of thinking outside the box, all of these points are anathema to most Ferrari owners.

Qavion likes this.