360 - Noticable "clunk' from rear of car | FerrariChat

360 Noticable "clunk' from rear of car

Discussion in '360/430' started by KC360 FL, Jun 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I had brought this up before... When I'm making a tight turn at parking lot speeds (<3mph I'm guessing) there is a clunk, clunk, clunk from the rear of the car. We put the car up an checked all the bushings and found nothing awry. The car has 27K miles on it. Is it possible it's because the ASR is engaged. I hadn't thought about it previously so I didn't have a chance to try switching off the ASR and trying a parking lot test.

The car is in for a fluids change and we (I know the indy well) cannot see anything out of the ordinary externally. The car shifts, runs, and handles fine. The Trans fluid (F1) was changed and the gear box fluid was changed last service less than 5K miles ago --all with the correct fluids recommended.

The rear tires are 325- 30 -19"
    The car is not abused and driven with respect, but driven as a 360 should be driven.

I know this is tough diagnosing a problem over the internet, but still... thought I'd toss it to you experts.

2. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    CV joint?

s1owcoach likes this.
  3. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Ferrari added a washer for both rear shocks it goes between shock and control arm shock bolt wend I get to my shop I can take a picture for you.
    Until then go and look and see if there is any washer again the shock and control arm .

4. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    EastMemphis and armedferret like this.
  5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Could be stuck parking brake. Mine will make a clunking noise for the first few hundred feet on a drive if the car is left idle for a couple months with the parking brake engaged. I now use wheel chocks and no more issue.

Qavion likes this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Check wheel bearings.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Once again thanks to all you folks here. I checked the wheel bearings and all seems good.
    Parking brake, probably not. I can have this issue after a long drive-- and I never smelled that distinct smell of a stuck brake.
    Seems like the CV's are good. But we still have the car on the lift so I will check that one more time. This is what I was thinking it might be. But didn't want to speak it out loud :eek: $$$$

Randy: as mentioned above, while the car is still on the lift we will look for that washer. Thanks so much for effort in the posts.

Great community guys--- 2 thumbs up!

clean512 likes this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Check all your bushings…. Wiggle test of control arms.

also mm’s trans mount shot??

9. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    I had a strange clunking just
    as you have described...It was the upper transmission mount rubber bushing.

one4torque likes this.
  10. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    are you sure its not your front tires touching the fender beads?

run your finger abound the front fender opening and feel for bulges.

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The motor mounts and trans mount have been changed out. But with that said, yes, after inspection further it seems the only play in anything is the sway bar drop links. I'm thinking on a tight turn that could be it. It's not much but there is a little wiggle.

Just came from the shop. No problems with the CV's. The washers are in place on the lower shock to A-arm.
    Definately not the front fenders to wheels but we did raise up the front coil driver side (driver weight -- me about 200lbs) about 1/4".

one4torque and armedferret like this.
  12. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    another possibility is that your LSD is stick-slipping and that is the noise you hear. I use to hear that in my BMW 325is. I think it is sufficiently worn today that it no longer has enough resistance to hear that anymore at 240,000ish miles.

13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Loose muffler bracket ??

14. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY

15. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Just a note about tires... I have 235-35 x19" front tires. The ones I just put on the car are noticeably not as "wide" or as "tall" as the ones I replaced (both are Michelin Super sport tires-- the new ones are all season). Now I've been in this car business for many many years and it seems only recently this has become a unreliable parameter when spec-ing tires.

The tires on the last two projects we did had significant variations in the actual physical size of two tires that were supposed to be the same size tire. The cross-section width seems to be the biggest offender-- and unfortunately the most critical measurement when setting things up on a car. Kind of frustrating since this formula for tires was established to do away with the varying sizes of the old system of the G-60x15" or L78 x 15". FWIW